Dec 2011 - Present
Feb 2016 - Present
RN - Cardiology
University of Vermont Medical Center
Jan 2000 - Jan 2016
IV RN (2000-present) and Vascular Access Educator (from 2006-2014)
- Designed and implemented hospital vascular access education and competency assessment programs for MDs and RNs, including peripheral IV insertion, ultrasound guided PICC insertion with modified seldinger technique, central line care and maintenance, and quality/safety issues.
- Developed hospital vascular access policy, coordinated product evaluations, provided vascular access presentations for hospital and related offices.
- Assisted with development of vascular access area of electronic health record.
- Performed regular case reviews for Infection Control, Risk Management, and Quality Departments.
- Professional Presentations:
- Vascular Access Matters
- Infiltration and Extravasation (for pediatric nurses)
- Neuropathology of Vascular Access Injury (national conference presentation)
- Peripheral Ultrafiltration: Implications for Vascular Access (national conference presentation)
- Professional Nursing Education Council – past member, past chair
- Professional Nursing Coordination Council - past member, past chair
- Central Line Simulation Curriculum Development and Ongoing Training - Vascular Access member trainer
- for medical students and residents
- for nurse observers
- Infection Prevention
- past CLABSI committee member
- Quarterly Infection Prevention Committee member
- Evidence Based Practice Committee
- past Central Line FMEA: Co-lead Coordinator with Home Infusion Lead
- past Central Line Rapid Redesign: Member
- past Intra-osseus Access Committee: Co-Lead
Dec 2008 - Present
Vermont Vascular Access, LLC
Vascular Access Services and Consulting
Provide individual and institutional vascular access inservicing, policy reviews and recommendations, expert legal case review, and PICC placement using ultrasound guidance, modified seldinger technique, and current standards of bundling practices.Will also train qualified individuals in peripheral IV and PICC insertion.
Nov 2010 - Present
Vice President - Health Care
I serve on the board of our AFT State Federation, and collaborate with other state AFT locals and state organizations.
- Governor's Blue Ribbon Commission on the Future of Nursing (completed)
- Health Care Reform Consumer Advisory Council (completed)
- Green Mountain Care Board Advisory Council (2nd term)
Sep 2010 - Dec 2014
From September 2010 to December 2014, I lead our union of ~ 2,000 healthcare professionals at Fletcher Allen Health Care, a Level I Trauma and Academic Medical Center in Burlington, Vermont. Organized since 2002 , our collective strength and focus on patient safety and quality care has improved staffing, patient care, and working conditions. Our members are active in the community from free health screening clinics to providing disaster relief and financial assistance in Haiti or our own communities and region after Hurricane Irene and Hurricane Sandy, to guiding health care legislation through our statehouse as topic experts and champions.
“What Would Joan Do?”; Advance for Nurses, September 8th, 2008; Feature Article on Horizontal Violence
1988 - 1992
Staff RN and Charge RN Medical Surgical
- Recognized as pt. advocate for policy change re: venipuncture
- Member Physician-Nurse Collaborative Practice Committee
- Library/Research Committee
1992 - 1998
Assistant Director of Nursing
Greensboro Nursing Home
- Facility Infection Control Nurse
- Staff Supervisor and Educator
- Trained RN’s, LPN’s, and LNA’s
- RN’s and LPN’s: technical equipment, peripheral IV insertion and venipuncture lab sampling, assessment skills
- Supervised managed, and taught laboratory and phlebotomy procedures
- Developed curriculum for and taught 2 week Mindfulness Based Hospice Trainings for staff, residents, and Greensboro community members
1997 - 1999
Psychiatric Nurse and Activity Therapist
Behavioral Health Center, CVMC
Sep 1985 - May 1988
Vermont College of Nursing
- Magna Cum Laude
- Ruby Carr Award for Highest Academic Record
- Betsy Carter Award for Superior Clinical Skills and Compassion
Sep 1977 - May 1982
Bachelor of Science
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
At-large member of Vermont Progressive Party State Committee
Music (making, and listening)
Homesteading (gardening-food and medicinal crops, laying hens)
Travel - have traveled extensively in India, Africa and many other countries. Worked for 2 months as an RN with the Vermont Global Village Project in a village in Ghana, West Africa. Coordinated 2 Buddhist Pilgrimages in India for a Tibetan Buddhist Lama.
I live in the Green Mountains with my husband in a completely off-the-grid (solar, wind) home that we built together.