Founder & Executive Director
Green Economy Canada
Green Economy Canada (video) works with community organizations to launch, grow, and promote Green Economy Hubs across Canada. Green Economy Hubs support local networks of businesses to set and achieve sustainability targets (we call them "Green Economy Leaders") — bringing together, empowering, and celebrating businesses as they achieve their goals. Through seven Hubs, over 270 organizations of all sizes & sectors across Ontario are supported in setting & achieving sustainability goals. Recognized by OSEA for Non-Profit of the Year in 2016 & recipient of the Government of Ontario's Minister's Award for Environmental Excellence in 2015. My role includes the following aspects:
- Team leadership & management: I oversee our team of 14 staff across Ontario, as well as coach & support 25 program staff across our seven existing Hubs.
- Fundraising / social enterprise: I'm responsible for stabilizing, growing & diversifying CoLab's revenue sources. In the current fiscal year this is $2M, $600k of which comes from grants, $1M from government, and $400k from corporate sponsorships & fee for service. I also raise money on behalf of all Hubs. For example this year, I raised $2.56M from the Government of Ontario to incentivize non-profits in our network to achieve more GHG reductions from their Green Economy Leaders.
- Government relations: I am Green Economy Canada's lead on all government relations, primarily engaging with the Government of Ontario & the Government of Canada, influencing a mix of public servants, political staff and politicians on low-carbon policy relevant to Green Economy Hubs.
- Teaching & training: I deliver several online training modules to Hub staff across the province, ranging from business development to volunteer engagement.
- Public speaking: I am Green Economy Canada's primary spokesperson for all public engagement. As an example, in March 2018: I gave a keynote address to 400 students at Enactus Canada's Regional Exposition, spoke alongside MPPs & dignitaries at a funding announcement for our Hamilton Hub, and presented on behalf of a national partnership to public servants at NRCan.