Electrical Design Engineer
Served as Engineering Project Lead and Lead Engineer on all of the larger New Product Development (NPD) projects for the Panamax brand, responsible for over $8,000,000 per year in gross revenue.
As a Project Lead, provided comprehensive oversight and participation in a wide range of NPD phases:
- Definition (system and application research, detailed specification writing).
- Design (industrial, electrical, mechanical).
- Test (regulatory compliance and performance/reliability testing).
- Manufacturing (DFM collaboration with internal and overseas manufacturing partners, transfer to production, test specifications and processes, and engineering data management).
As a Lead Engineer, developed the overall system architectures and designed most of the major ac power circuits, including the following functional blocks:
- Passive EMC mitigation (EMI power filters and TVSS circuits).
- Power control and regulation (voltage detection and relay controls, thyristor-controlled tap-switching autotransformers, linear power supply protection and power management).
Re-instated Mechanical Design capabilities to the department after a 1-year lapse of internal resources in that area, and developed intermediate-level MCAD design skills utilizing SolidWorks 2001. Served as primary or secondary Mechanical Designer for over 50% of NPD projects between 2001-2005, and provided support in that area in all other projects that were assigned:
- Design: sheet metal and plastics enclosures, electromechanical integration.
- Material selection: steel, aluminum, thermoplastics, thermosetting resins.
- Metal fabrication and finishing process specification: extrusion, forming, die casting, anodizing, and powder coating.
Developed most of the ECAD and MCAD workflows for the department, concentrating on design integrity management (tight data interoperability across platforms and disciplines, and comprehensive DRC automation) and standards-based fabrication and assembly protocols (IPC, JEDEC, EIA, ANSI/ASME, etc.).
Was instrumental in securing large RFPs to provide full power accessory product offerings for Ricoh and Canon OE, and was the sole Engineering development and sustaining support for products totaling over $3,000,000 in annual gross revenue in the Office Machines marketing channel.
Awarded three U.S. Patents, including #6,816,350 for innovative low-cost over/undervoltage shutoff control design (SurgeGate+™) for point-of-use SPDs; derivations of this design are still in use today, and this feature remains unique within the <$50 retail price range in that category.