To use my passion for building customer-centric businesses, leading digital marketing strategy, and/or technology development for forward-thinking organizations.
I am passionate about innovation, design thinking, collective intelligence, and marketing strategy.
My primary interests lie in the following areas:
Digital Marketing - Over 15 years of digital marketing experience; strategically planning and executing online and offline campaigns that drive consumer interest and sales for online brands. Deep understanding of winning customer acquision and customer retention strategies.
See: OnBudget, Que Syrah, BillMyParents, Greenest Host, Greenest Marketing, Proflowers, Streamload, Inc.
Website Design and Development - Planned, executed, and delivered website development projects for well over 100 companies, ranging from small to large.
See: Greenest Marketing, FirstWeb Media, portfolio and case studies
Product Planning and Management - Researched markets, planned and developed online service offerings for the consumer and business-to-business markets and collaboratively developed websites/web services for large consumer brands; ranging from Sprint to Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) to Amazon.com for co-branded and private-labeled technology solutions.
See: OnBudget, BillMyParents, Proflowers.com, Streamload, Inc.
Green Marketing - Provided expert consulting services to socially responsible businesses regarding their green branding and green marketing services.
See: Greenest Marketing
Green Business - Provided green business planning and support for companies looking to reduce their carbon footprints, reposition their green marketing and green business strategies.
See: Greenest Host and Greenest Marketing
IT Infrastructure and Support - Deep understanding of current computing, data center, and IT infrastructure technologies; Expertise ranges from growth planning and custom application development to troubleshooting.
See: Greenest Host, Streamload Inc., FirstWeb Media
Customer Service and Support - Oversaw call center group of 15+ employees. Understand resource planning and overcoming the challenges of fast-paced support in a real-time environment.
see: Streamload, Inc.
May 2013 - Present
Vice President of Marketing
OnBudget is the developer of a spend control budgeting system, built specifically to address the market needs of banked consumers. It combines a free, simple-to-use app with a fee-free “budget card” that acts as a companion card to a user’s existing checking account.
OnBudget users effortlessly set up and manage budgets, track spending, and view spending trends, all in real-time. It’s a simple personal financial management system that turns prepaid cards into a virtual “envelope budgeting system.” With OnBudget, consumers get a budgeting tool that seamlessly plugs in to their daily lifestyle. The system is uncomplicated, intuitive, real-time, habit-forming, and best of all, it is totally fee-free.
OnBudget offers this software platform as a comprehensive turn-key solution to banks. The white-label solution helps banks elevate their prepaid and debit products to address real customer need. It provides them true product differentiation, and gives their existing customer base a compelling reason to choose their products over competing products, as well as remain loyal customers well into the future.
- Lead marketing strategy: new customer acquisition, use and retention activities.
- Direct market research activities and customer research efforts.
- Collaborate with team on mobile and web product development; including user interface and user experience (UI/UX) planning.
- Develop business intelligence and reporting tools.
Jul 2013 - Present
Que Syrah is a stylish, boutique Wine Country Retreat in Temecula, California.
- Conceived of a high-end yet budget-friendly boutique resort in Southern California's wine country region.
- Performed market research and operational feasibility
- Wrote business and marketing plans
- Found and secured property
- Raised seed capital
- Designed brand marketing strategy
- Co-created brand and aesthetic ethos; including building design
- Lead all marketing and sales strategy
- Developed all operational procedures
- Manage all staff
Jan 2009 - May 2013
Director of Marketing
The SpendSmart Payments Company (BillMyParents, Inc.)
The SpendSmart Payments Company (formerly BillMyParents, Inc.) launched the BillMyParents MasterCard Prepaid Debit Card in early 2010 and the SpendSmart MasterCard Prepaid Debit Card for teens in early 2013. They are instantly trackable, reloadable prepaid debit cards designed to help parents teach teens how to spend smarter. As a leader in the space, the SpendSmart and BillMyParents cards offer a broad set of tools for parents that track, monitor, and teach teens how to effectively manage money without many of the risks associated with credit cards.
• Planned and executed customer use and retention strategies, as well as lifecycle marketing efforts.
• Directed market research activities and ongoing customer research efforts, including: NetPromoter implementation, institutionalizing customer feedback loops, pricing, choice-based conjoint studies and attrition research.
• Managed web and mobile product development, oversaw landing page testing, user interface (UI), user experience (UX) and design planning.
• Developed new product concepts and managed innovation funnel, including prioritizing product road map.
• Led direct-response marketing strategy and execution targeting new customer acquisition for BillMyParents prepaid MasterCard product.
• Accomplishments: industry-leading traffic growth, increasing online conversion rates 1600% through conversion rate optimization, spearheading social media marketing campaigns yielding 100,000+ active fans/followers in two months, winning 2012 PayBefore Award for Best Youth/Student Prepaid Program and increasing card activation and usage rates over 500% in just one year.
Mar 2011 - Aug 2011
Senior Marketing Manager, New Business Initiatives
• Directed customer use and retention Marketing strategies for company launch into program management of tax refund debit card products.
• Oversaw marketing relationship with marketing and distribution partners, including Visa.
• Executed customer research (pricing studies, surveys, in-person focus groups and in-home studies) and delivered customer-driven recommendations and go-to-market strategy for: brand, product and pricing of new direct-to-consumer general purpose reloadable (GPR) prepaid debit card product.
Jan 2011 - Apr 2011
Instructor - Entrepreneurship
Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising
Taught Entrepreneurship capstone class to Merchandising and Marketing majors at the nation's leading, fully-accredited, private fashion college.
Apr 2007 - Sep 2009
Greenest Host is a web hosting solution for individuals and small to midsize businesses that is 100% powered by solar energy. The company was founded on the principal that, in addition to being the ethically superior choice, "going green" can also provide better performance and better value. There no longer has to be a trade-off between making the right choice for the environment and having the absolute best quality of service at a market competitive price.
- Conceptualized concept and researched all leading-edge technology breakthroughs in web server efficiency and clean power generation to introduce a market-leading green technology service.
- Performed all pre-launch business planning and strategy functions.
- Directly planned and executed all business and technical operations, including administration, hardware technical and software design functions, to take the service from concept to launch in less than four months.
- Secured a Series A round of financing that allowed the business to accelerate growth in the areas of marketing, sales and business development.
- Managed support staff, IT staff and all technical functions related to providing outsourced hosting and data center operations services.
- Strategically planned and executed all online direct marketing and social media marketing campaigns.
- Performed all budgeting, finance and accounting operations.
- Devised all PR planning and strategy
- Accomplishments: International press coverage of service including: being named one of PC World's "10 Greenest Tech Products" in 2007, being selected as a TechCrunch40 demo company,features in CNET, InfoWorld, eWeek, The Huffington Post, and many other media outlets.
Greenest Marketing was founded in early 2008 by Greenest Host to help manage more than their client's green web hosting. Greenest Marketing turned socially responsible organization's websites from static information sources to powerful marketing and sales tools that reached more potential customers and built more meaningful relationships with their existing customers online.
Through web design and development to web marketing services, Greenest Marketing helped other green and socially responsible businesses reach the right target consumers by developing a whole success system that leveraged its own expertise in online marketing and knowledge of socially conscious consumer markets.
- Directly managed all design, marketing, sales and support staff.
- Strategically planned and executed all client's direct marketing and social media marketing functions.
- Performed all project management duties related to web design projects, including: gathering the requirements and understanding the scope of the project, delivering a scope of work and requirements document, producing a project plan and delivery timeline, and managing all human resources related to the project.
- Proactively communicated project progress and provided primary support for all marketing and design projects.
- Developed many concepts and oversaw the creative teams efforts to develop concepts to meet client requirements.
- Selected all technology solutions and directed the implementation of solutions to meet client's business requirements.
Oct 2007 - May 2008
- Taught Ecommerce and Internet Marketing for second-year Merchandising and Marketing majors at the nation's leading, fully accredited, private fashion college.
Jul 2004 - Mar 2007
Director of Marketing
- Directed 20 marketing and customer service professionals and oversaw technology brand development, direct marketing efforts, marketing communications, public relations, creative development, web design, event marketing, and customer service.
- Formulated strategic roadmaps: market segmentation, competitive analysis, positioning, user testing, and product requirements for consumer product development; ensuring the development of market-driven products and services.
- Developed and implemented tools to track, streamline and improve new customer acquisition, customer retention, market research, customer relationship management, online marketing campaign management, and corporate blogging efforts.
- Awards: SD Business Journal’s 100 Fastest Growing Companies 2005 & 2006, Most Innovative New Product Finalist 2006 (CONNECT), Red Herring’s 100 Top Private Companies 2006, PC Magazine’s Digitallife “Best in Show” 2005 & 2006, SIIA CODiE Awards 2005 & 2006, CES Innovator Award 2006, Webbie Award 2006.
- Accomplishments: Planned and directed efforts resulting in high-profile company features in the New York Times, Bloomberg Radio, Business Week, PC Magazine, PC World, CNET, TechCrunch, ABC News, USAToday, Time Magazine, and hundreds of other media outlets.
Feb 2003 - Jul 2004
FirstWeb Media uses state-of-the-art web-building and hosting technology that rapidly developed websites for small to mid-sized companies at a fraction of the cost.
- Provided strategic development strategy, design input, project management and ongoing support for over 125 corporate, ecommerce and marketing clients
- Planned and Executed all online and offline marketing activities for FirstWeb Media.
- Paid-inclusion search marketing consulting and implementation for companies in the areas of extreme sports-related equipment and apparel, telecommunications equipment, web design and development, Internet hosting, orthopedic and ergonomic products, real estate listings, and home loan financing.
Jul 2002 - Feb 2003
Senior Account Manager
- Managed direct-sales related efforts with commerce partners for in-store product sales, corporate incentive programs, marketing incentive programs, and online collaborative commerce partnerships.
- Created new initiatives, incremental growth opportunities, and brand extension programs for major retail partners.
- Developed and ran flower and gift-related sales channels for partner companies such as QVC, Costco, Albertson's and Kroger Foods.
- Managed retail in-store, corporate incentive and collaborative commerce sales staff.
- Set and managed to monthly, weekly and daily sales targets.
- Strategized and developed new, non-traditional retail and wholesale sales opportunities.
Jul 2000 - Jul 2002
- Secured, managed and grew relationships with top online marketing partners including Amazon.com, MSN, Yahoo, and Google to account for more than half of company’s new customers.
- Tested marketing concepts and campaign variables using disciplined direct marketing techniques to realize incremental efficiencies in marketing campaigns; resulting in profitably increasing marketing efficiency over 400% and an additional 100% in successive years.
- Directed radio advertising efforts in 125+ U.S. radio markets.
- Managed personality-based radio advertising agency and built efficient year-round endorsement personality portfolio.
- Constructed tracking database to measure personality and market proficiency, generate KPI reports, and provide near-immediate performance feedback for personalities and ad agency.
- Managed all print-related acquisition-marketing campaigns; including marketing concepts, ad copy, and print designs.
- Created department-wide annual budgets and forecasting models.
Oct 1999 - Jul 2000
Business Development Manager
- Initiated affiliate recruitment and built and managed new business partnerships Designed reciprocal partnership marketing programs with outside companies
- Created promotional opportunities surrounding peak-seasons – ran national contests and sweepstakes and created viral marketing campaigns.
- Built and managed secondary online sales channels including online stores in Yahoo Shopping, Amazon.com, and other online retail outlets
Jun 1999 - Oct 1999
Director of Website Content
Developed and oversaw all development of website content for online business incubator.
Jun 1998 - Jun 1999
Sep 1996 - Aug 1997
Conducted consumer research and provided marketing testing for programming options for local CBS television affiliate and two company owned radio stations.
Sep 2011 - May 2012
Executive Certificate, Strategy and Innovation
Massachussetts Institute of Technology - Sloan School of Management
- Reinventing Business Strategy / Change Management
- Developing & Managing Technology and Product Strategy
- Building, Leading and Sustaining Innovative Organizations
- Collaborative Intelligence and Intelligent Organizations
Jan 2006 - Dec 2006
Executive Program in Strategic Marketing Management
2001 - 2001
Course studies included technical web development and XML applications.
Sep 1994 - May 1998
- Student Body President – Associated Student Government
- Selected, trained and supervised 50 student leaders
- Directed short-term, large-scale fundraising efforts in excess of $30,000
- Enacted policy; including writing of constitution, by-laws and organizational procedures
- Advocated student interests and issues with administration, board of trustees and state legislature
- Directed more than $500,000 in student funds to clubs, student organizations and event programmers.
- Conceptualized, secured university backing, and founded USD-tv – USD’s first student-run television station.
Activities and Societies: Associated Students (AS), United Front, Resident Assistant