Cars, Motorcycles, Music, Cooking, Theatre, Culture, Travel
An outstanding General Manager, with extensive skills and experience developed within a wide and diverse range of disciplines and market sectors. These disciplines encompass all aspects of business and change management including Sales, Marketing, Operations, Technical and e-business. He has operated successfully at senior strategic levels within the heating, air movement, tooling and component manufacture industries.
Previous Contracts / Companies worked for:
- Allied Tooling – 2 ½; years within General Management role
- Baxi Group – 16 years within various senior director posts within General Management, Operations, Technical, NPD, Projects & e-Business
- Prestige Group – 7 years within general engineering & new product development.
Aug 2005 - Mar 2008
Allied (Tooling) Ltd
Metcalfe & Tattersall – based in Blackburn, Lancashire was acquired by Allied (Tooling) Ltd – based in Dorset, in July 2005 with the strategy of becoming the northern division of Allied – servicing all areas of the country north of the M40. Allied is the UK market leader in the tooling industry, offering a wide range of products and services for the Woodworking and Metalworking industries.
- Autonomous Business Head with full P&L responsibility and accountability for the Northern Division encompassing all geographic regions north of the M40 corridor.
- Business management of all areas including Sales/ Marketing, Finance, Production, Customer Support, Purchasing, Logistics, Property & Plant/ Maintenance.
- Development & implementation of strategy for transforming business from a loss position of -16%, into a break even position within 10 months via development of new routes to market, the implementation of organisational changes and the integration of Birmingham operations into Northern site.
- Subsequent strategy developed and actioned to achieve step changes in growth via acquisition – resulting in the securement of the customer base of a major competitor, and its’ integration into the Allied group - increasing turnover by 7.5% and doubling production capacity.
Jan 2002 - May 2004
Baxi CleanAir was the UK market leader for the supply and installation of products and services within an embryonic – technologically advanced sector of the ventilation industry. The products were primarily MVHR (Mechanical Ventilation & Heat Recovery) – both for ‘single room’, or ‘whole building’ applications within a wide and diverse range of market sectors including Private Housing, Stockists/ Distributors, Local Authority, Housing Associations, Light Commercial, OEM, Export, Agencies and Leisure.
The companys’ product portfolio included the design/ development, manufacture, installation and back up service and maintenance of the products and ancillary systems in conformance to the respective legislative requirements governed within each sector.
- Autonomous Business Head with full P& L responsibility, and business management of multi-functional team within Specification Sales, Marketing, Finance, Customer Service, New Product Development, System Design, Manufacture, Installation and Maintenance.
- Management of Baxi ‘Newdesign’ – focused towards provision of home comfort design solutions (Heating, Hot/Cold Water Provision & Ventilation) within the new-build housing sector.
- Development and implementation of Business Strategy resulting in transformation of previous losses of £0.5M into break-even position within 8-months and onto 2.2% profit by year-end. Improvements gained through business re-configuration and focus on key market sectors.
- Subsequent development and implementation of Growth Strategy resulting in 12% increase in subsequent years’ turnover, 7% profit, order intake increased by 23% and order book increased by 150% through development of the market sectors and introduction of product additions to satisfy key market drivers.
Key role in sale, disposal and subsequent handover of Baxi CleanAir to Vent-Axia following changes to the Baxi Group strategy of a refocus purely towards Heating and Hot/Cold Water products. Subsequent transfer of Baxi CleanAir operations to Vent-Axias’ head office in Crawley resulted in departure.
Jan 2000 - Jan 2002
Group Projects Manager
- Development of an e-business strategy for the Baxi Group.
- Key role in determining the development of ‘Blue-Sky’ technologies to support new business models within Baxi Group.
- Management of the Baxi property portfolio – encompassing > 150 sites throughout the UK.
- Management review on potential business acquisitions/ disposals within Baxi Group to support the strategy for growth.
- Implementation of a Customer Service/ Technical Advisory System, a review on the potential development of an e-procurement strategy and the development of an intranet service, primarily focusing on key business indices.
- Project management of development and testing of new technological concepts in application – and resultant feedback for consideration of incorporation into Group product portfolio.
- Support the review and subsequent site rationalisation in accordance with changes to group strategy.
- Key role in the sale, disposal and subsequent handover of Baxi Air Management to Ruskin Air Management.
Sep 1997 - Jan 2000
Technical & Operations Director
Baxi Air Management
Baxi Air Management was formed from a number of previous business acquisitions to become the Ventilation division of the Baxi Group. The portfolio included supply and installation of Ventilation products (MVHR and traditional), Fan Coils, Heating Systems and Fire Dampers/ Life Safety products into various market sectors including Private Housing, Stockists/ Distributors, Local Authority, Housing Associations, Light Commercial, Agencies and Leisure.
- Responsibility for strategy, management and development of a split site, multi-functional team within Manufacturing, Product Development/Technical Engineering, Procurement/Materials Management, Logistics, Quality/Environmental/H&S and Site Utilities - totalling over 100 employees through 5 direct reportees, split across all sites.
- Formulation and development of New Product Implementation plan in line with market requirements and development into new sectors.
- Key role within ‘Blue-Sky’ technologies determining future product solutions that may be suitable for development within the Baxi Group.
- Development of business through restructuring/ rationalising of existing sites, set up of new head-quarters in Lancashire, implementation of manufacturing improvements, cultural developments/ alignments and new product developments/ additions to the portfolio – resulting in transforming business from previous losses in excess of £0.5M on £13M turnover in 1998, into a £2.3M profit on £15M turnover by end of 1999.
- Development and trialing of technological concepts to evaluate market potential/ suitability before transfer into respective group company for product development/ implementation.
- Management and extension of ISO9002 accreditation. Alignment of business with current and future Environmental, Health/Safety and Personnel legislative requirements.