Broadcast Engineering, Sky
Heading up a team of developers, testers and BAs, I am responsible for the successful delivery of a migration project. Sky is migrating data from an existing, legacy rights management and financing platform, to that of a 3rd party vendor. Using every skill I have to steer a dis-engaged, disparate, low-trust team on an overdue project to iterative delivery, better contact with business users, discovery of more appropriate solutions and a review of the business benefits. As well as supporting production issues.
- Funnelled several work streams into a single backlog - this allowed for much better transparency and visibility of work-in-progress, capacity and delivery capability, which in turn reduced micro-management and frequent updates to the management team.
- Iteratively modified the workflow to support more steps, allowing more visibility and less context-switching/work in progress. This gave us a better view of the bottlenecks.
- Created a team to specifically manage the relationship with the vendor - this lead to a marked improvement in the relationship and better communication.
- Managed an engagement with a 3rd party to analyse current data and to propose and support better migration.
- Facilitated one-on-ones and team sessions on process improvement. This is increasing trust amongst the team as it people feel like they're being listened to.
- Encouraged the implementation of SonarQube on one of our programs to watch code-quality. This affected the quality of our tests and the level of communication about the requirements.
- Worked closely with the Support Manager and his team to ensure that customer incidents were received, triaged and dealt with (either in-house or via the vendor), this increased the user trust on the team and system.