Family, Photography, Enviromental products
A leadership role in a consumer product organization (preferably toy, hobby or craft related) who needs an experienced operations executive who has the ability to increase margins, reduce costs and help companies meet their corporate goals.
Highly-motivated and resourceful Supply Chain and Product Development Executive with a record of developing and supporting successful Supply Chain Management (SCM) and product introduction projects and solutions. Able to improve organizational effectiveness and efficiency through leadership that aligns the business processes and supplier sourcing integrated with product innovation to realize cost savings, accelerate performance, and sustain strategic flexibility.
Expert at directing and managing a product from conception, to delivery, and finally to market, skilled at directing Operations in consumer products, with a concentration in toy manufacturing (plastics, electronics, plush, and craft / hobby sets) and global sourcing (including Asia). Able to focus and work well in all situations and environments, constantly seeking new challenges, a professional and driven individual with a strong work ethic achieving progressively senior positions.
- Consistently recognized for developing products, delivering vendors who can execute product specifications at the right price, managing customer scheduling demands through production planning, directing quality and compliance procedures, and coordinating logistics.
- Builder of high-performance teams who thrives in environments requiring a high-level strategist and a big-picture thinker. A welcome addition to any company, ready, willing, and able to lead companies to a position of market dominance.
Supply Chain Process Improvement • Project Management • Brand Establishment and Development
Product Development • Client Relationship Management • Operations Management
Staff Development • International Sourcing • P&L Management
Logistics Management • Toy Safety and Quality Programs
Apr 2010 - Present
Toy Ducks in a Row
Independent Consultant with 29 years of Toy Industry experience with small and medium sized toy operations in various areas such as global sourcing, import/export, logistics, product development, purchasing, toy safety regulations and creating toy safety and quality programs for comapnies.
May 2011 - Present
Sep 2010 - May 2011
Vice President of Operations
For a leadinglicenser and marketer of innovative toy, home organization, and outdoor recreation products, direct all Operations: sourcing, product launch engineering, warehousing, logistics, production planning, inventory forecasting, and planning (both raw materials and finished goods).
Lead the end-to-end sourcing, costing, quality, and delivery of product to customers, including defining, documenting, and executing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). Govern toy safety technical support for the product development team and for customers.
- Develop a testing plan to meet Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA – 2008) requirements.
- Reduce overseas container costs by 5%.
Feb 2009 - Mar 2010
Technical Outreach Director
For the trade association for North American producers and importers of toys, games and entertainment products representing 535+ manufacturers and importers of toys accounting for 85% of all toys distributed in North America, directed the implementation and execution of the training of toy manufacturing companies in CPSIA compliance, as well as the Toy Industry Association’s Toy Safety Certification Program (TSCP).
Developed the outreach education budget plan for 2009 and 2010, coordinating / executing the plan, and controlling the budget. Delivered Toy Safety and Quality seminars in Hong Kong, Shenzhen, China, Guangzhou, China, and Shanghai, China for Toy Factories focusing on “Best Practices” for factory quality and safety procedures.
Delivered Toy Safety seminars for toy companies in New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, San Francisco, and Chicago with a focus on how TSCP can bring their companies into compliance. Interfaced with the Vice President of Corporate Compliance in providing leadership for the toy industry’s environmental group.
- Served as the small business expert on a Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) small business panel at the CPSC workshop in December 2009 on the CPSIA law.
Dec 1999 - Feb 2009
Vice President of Operations
Cadaco div of Rapid Displays, Inc.
For a leading toy and game company, directed Operations, including product development process, international and domestic sourcing, CPSIA compliance program, Quality Control (QC), and logistics of both products and components.
Reduced costs by 40% from the previous corporate standard through contract negotiation with various domestic and international vendors.
Initiated and executed development and production of 100+ line-item products per year, including sourcing, costing, packaging development, purchasing, manufacturing, compliance requirements, and quality specifications. Championed vendor compliance with U.S. product changes and protocols for European Union (EU) requirements, including EN-71 and Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS).
Championed new product development of an electronic line of plug-and-play TV trivia items, including software and chip development, licensing requirements, testing, and final prototypes, from inception through to production / delivery. Increased overall Gross Margin by 10% by implementing / executing a plan to reduce material costs.
Reduced level of defective goods and improved quality by 30% through implementation of continuous improvement procedures. Led the development of the product line through meetings in Asia four-to-six times per year. Directed and coordinated all quality, safety, reliability, and regulatory compliance / testing.
- Reduced the overall break-even level by $4,000,000, executing changes in purchasing and sourcing along with changes in product discounts levels.
- Oversaw all trade show operations, sales, and logistics.
Apr 1999 - Dec 1999
Product Launch Manager
Flying Colors div. Jakks Pacific, Inc.
Managed and directed product development of various license lines including: Nickelodeon, Hello Kitty and Warner Bros.
- Managed and coordinated the overseas development and manufacturing of over 60 toy and craft products.
- Managed negotiated and coordinated product costs, tooling costs and developmental schedules with China factories.
- Collaborated and directed design department in regards to developing new products that meets company requirements for quality and toy safety standard.
- Managed, coordinatedand developed company’s compound line which accounted for 10 million dollars in sales
Mar 1998 - Mar 1999
Consultant - Self Employed
Consulted for companies on sourcing, purchasing, product development and product management.
- Consulted and developed new ideas for customer’s new product introductions.
- Consulted with and arranged for customer’s needed new suppliers for lower priced component parts for various developed craft sets.
- Delivered report to customer’s on product trends and competitive products in the marketplace.
Dec 1989 - Mar 1998
Director of Material Management
Craft House International
Manage and coordinated purchasing, product safety testing, and production scheduling for companies 600 stock keeping units. In addition to my Director duties I also was Product Manager for our Lindberg and Skilcraft divisions.
- Facilitated the entire print management process that included printed folding cartons, brochures, catalogs, decals, labels, blister cards, litho, and instruction sheets for 600 products.
- Created and managed MRP system for the buying of raw material for two divisions of the company.
- Developed and implemented marketing strategies for two divisions including catalog development.
- Directed and coordinated with engineering department in the development of new product tooling for production both domestically and internationally.
- Reduced overall packaging costs by 10%, through sourcing and negotiation of an annual 3 million dollar packaging budget.