Senior Director Operations
Responsible for IT/IS, Customer Service, Manufacturing, Procurement, Physical Security, Final Systems Assembly and Test, Material Management, Shipping and Receiving, Professional Services, Partner Management, Trials/New Product Introduction, Customer interface, Disaster Planning and Recovery, Software Delivery, Repair and Return, Training (Internal and External), Program/Project Management.
Created Technical Support and organized a newly created Operations team of IT, Manufacturing, Facilities Management and Security.
When I arrived there were no manufacturing work flows. We were single sourced with our contract manufacturer and lead times were 16 weeks on many critical parts and operating costs were very high. Within IT/IS there were few quality processes or performance tracking mechanisms and the team was operating as a separate entity with no cohesive approach to IT or IS. The equipment was old and there were no back-up or restoration mechanisms in place. Trouble tickets were handled on an as come basis and the escalation procedures were outdated and not followed closely. Customer Service had few quality processes or performance tracking mechanisms and the teams were operating with no standards based response or performance objectives. Customer service interruptions were going unreported and no follow-up was being performed.
- Created Infrastructure: Evaluated and selected systems with my service and IT team that would scale and provide the best in class backbone network we’d need to connect to the customer’s data network. (CRM, Servers, IP Telephony, firewalls, time tracking tools, billing mechanisms, metrics collectors).
- Inbound Improvements: Based upon user feedback, I established a Tier 1 Help Desk, created Quality Assurance, and established self help platforms. I established feedback methods for the customer.
- Standards Based Service: Created a plan to achieve TL9000 and Telcordia compliancy on critical service deliverables
- SLA’s: Evaluated our Service Level agreements and created a plan to increase compliancy.
- Service Revenue: I reviewed and corrected the service revenue and professional services pricing and descriptions. Increased revenue 30% the first year.
- Partner Programs: Worked with our Tier 1 partners on work flows and trouble tracking methods, created weekly calls or as required. Created priority lists, action registers, and escalation methods.
- Work Flows: I edited the customer service guides to reflect standards based improvements, upgraded the 24x7 call out procedures and improved the call back times for after hours.
- CRM Upgrade: Trained on and mapped processes. Globally converted to an Oracle database.
- Improved tracking: Hardware & Software Baselines Established. Tracking servers created for customer baseline identity.
- Quality Improvement: Gate/Handoff Processes written to improve new product introduction.
- Improved Delivery: Software delivery and Software updating method improved to reduce problem reports.
- Improved product: Root Cause Analysis process was created.
- Introducing products: Project/Program Management checklists created to improve the customer experience with software and hardware introduction.
- Team Building: Set-up goals and objectives as a team with the Directors and Managers for improvement.
- More Options: I evaluated and qualified several small contract manufacturing facilities in the area that excelled in quick turn, low volume builds to augment our Tier 1 contract manufacturer and asked them to build a number of simple assemblies to lower our lead times
- RoHS: Created a plan to achieve environmental compliancy to enable sales to EU countries. All parts were reviewed, certified.
- Competitive Bids: Evaluated our turnkey Contract Manufacturer and based upon the need to increase margin, reduce cost and cycle time, I established additional relationships with several Tier 1 manufacturers and got competitive bids.
- Cycle times: I established relationships with distributors to enable us to acquire material more quickly to reduce cycle time. I “bonded” material in advance that had excessive lead times working with several distributors. The result was an improved delivery cycle, (16 weeks down to 8 weeks), and cost reduction.
- International Consolidation: Working with my global manufacturing counterparts, we evaluated and selected turnkey manufacturing facilities in Israel, Mexico, China, and the US to further reduce cost. (We selected a single manufacturer with global facilities).
- Explosive Growth: My teams scaled to meet the demand of quarter over quarter growth in the product moving from 3m per quarter of material to 15m per quarter.
- Reduced Cost: Lowered the cost from 14K/18K per existing system to 8K per system for the legacy product, introduced a 1U, Carrier Grade, NEBs compliant, off the shelf system from Intel for less than 6K to the field. Selected the distributor, wrote the memorandum of understanding, and reviewed the contract and set-up work instructions and branding requirements.
- Database Conversion: Trained and mapped processes. Globally converted to an Oracle database.
- Improved Forecasting: Made adjustments to the Manufacturing Database to improve predictability of Sales Forecasts, Shortages, Delinquent Materials, Supplier Response, Non Conforming Material, and Material Handling
- Standards: Standards based Operations guidelines created based upon ISO and Telcordia guidelines.
- Shipping/Receiving: Created versions of handbooks for Department of Commerce guidelines for import and export of material, including looking up companies and persons that might be on watch lists. Qualified a prime and back-up international shipper.
- Security Watch Lists: Wrote a handbook and guidelines for Department of Homeland Security requirements for international shipping, receiving. Successfully passed multiple audits by each organization. (plus Sarbanes/Oxley material management techniques audits)
- Improved Testing: Upgraded final systems test scripts and processes, software delivery mechanisms, final assembly quality processes, quality checklists, and final inspections.
- Shipping Material: Reduced the cost of materials used for packing and shipping internationally 25%.
- Work Areas: Created static free work areas for material storage.
- Improved Yields: Upgraded “bed of nails” and functional test process to increase first pass yields to acceptable levels. We added several additional test points for improved coverage.
- Help Desk: Based upon user feedback, I established a Tier 1 Help Desk, created Quality Assurance, and established self help platforms. I established feedback methods for the customer.
- Created Budget: Created a plan to achieve a budgeted network upgrade plan, including tools, which included hardware and software. (as $ would allow)
- Disaster Recovery Business Continuity: Evaluated our Disaster Recovery process and selected a service provided by General Electric to drop ship material and systems within 24 hours of raising an emergency alert.
- Escalation Process: Updated escalation and call out methods, trained on recovery techniques and purchased an off site vault to store back-up material in. I wrote a disaster recovery manual and a security manual.
- International Service: Installed fire walls, and increased bandwidth for global and domestic teams to access non-proprietary information and systems to allow improved production of the products
- Preventive Maintenance: Created maintenance windows for IT team to perform standard maintenance and tests when traffic was low and interruptions were not as impacting. Established daily, weekly, monthly service routines.
- Process Improvement: Trained and mapped processes. Globally converted to an Oracle database.
- Standards: Standards based guidelines created based upon ISO and Telcordia
- Baselines: Hardware & Software Baselines Established
- Root Cause: Root Cause Analysis process was created