I was hired as News Editor at Stereogum.com in late May 2012, and have been working at the site since June 4 of that year. I was promoted to Managing Editor in August 2013, and I've held that position since then. A little bit about the site:
Stereogum is the leading online community for independent and alternative music tastemakers. With a daily offering of news, commentary and MP3s, the site drives the conversation around the music that matters. Stereogum writers and columnists identify the best up-and-coming bands and trends before they hit the mainstream. The site covers the spectrum of alternative and underground music (indie, hip-hop, pop, and metal) and has amassed a passionate readership of music fans, industry insiders, and indie rock stars. Cited for its commentary and band discovery everywhere from The New Yorker to FOX News, Stereogum’s awards and distinguished mentions include the Plug Award for best music blog, Blender‘s Most Influential People in Online Music, Village Voice‘s Music Blog Of The Year, and Entertainment Weekly‘s Best Music Website.
My own role here is quite diverse; its primary component has been the assembly and management of a freelance team who contribute long-form essays and criticism to the site. (Before I came on board, Stereogum published only short-form news items.) Since coming here, I have established a team of nearly two dozen regular freelancers who report to me directly. Our efforts have aided the site in achieving record traffic across all metrics, as well as changed the face and feel of Stereogum.
I established Stereogum's first internship program in January 2013, and it has been going strong since then, often leading to employment for the intern. We've now hired five Stereogum interns as full-time editorial staff, and numerous others have contributed in freelance capacities.
I also contribute to the site via regular writing under my own byline.
I truly love my job, and find more here to love every single day. At present, my responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Assign, manage, and edit all long-form editorial content for the site, including feature stories and franchises.
- Oversee nearly two-dozen freelance and staff writers. Review submitted work, provide guidance on story ideas, and mentor writers toward greater professional excellence.
- Develop new features and columns, and work with writers to build pitches into successful projects.
- Established and continue to manage the Stereogum Editorial Internship program.
- Contribute long- and short-form written content to Stereogum.
- Help to grow the scope of the site with new users via: establishing and reaching page view goals; working with SEO team to develop proper keyword strategies; creating and maintaining a presence on social media channels, and utilizing that presence to drive users to Stereogum.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the site. Provide input regarding content, design, voice, and marketing focus.
- Evaluate and interview job candidates.
- Manage monthly editorial budget.
- Help to cultivate and manage the site's commenter and reader community.
- Assist in all aspects of the site's social media strategies.