Feb 2000 - Present
Instructor in the following Continuing Education classes:
- Business Intelligence & Data Warehousing
- LinkedIn for Professionals
- Database Marketing
- HTML, introduction and advanced
- XML, introduction, intermediate and advanced
Sep 1991 - Present
I've been writing speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror) since 1991. My work has been published in ComputorEdge, D.C., Eclipse, Fiction Forum, Figment, Haunts, Lost Worlds, Medusa's Hairdo, MindFlights, Mystic Fiction, Next Phase, Once Upon A World, Outer Darkness, Skyline Voices, Sorcerous Magazine, Talers Tales, The Cosmic Unicorn, The Nocturnal Lyric, as well as the poetry anthology Once Upon A Midnight.The awards I've won include:
- First Prize for Fiction at the 1995 Skyline Writers’ Conference with the story "Flinging Down The Moon". Award-winning novelist Maureen McHugh was the contest judge.
- First Prize for Science Fiction at the 1996 Skyline Writers’ Conference with the story "Cybernetic Angels". Novelist S. Andrew Swann (a.k.a. Steve Swiniarski) was the contest judge.
- First Prize (tie) for the Pat Poling Memorial Award in 1998 with the story "Blood Money".
I appear in the Locus Index to Science Fiction (http://www.locusmag.com/index/s522.htm#A12297), and the Internet Speculative Fiction DataBase hosted by the Cushing Library Science Fiction and Fantasy Research Collection and Institute for Scientific Computation at Texas A&M University (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?Michael_Mina). Both of these databases seriously undercount the number of works I have had published.
2001 - Present
Member, Advisory Committee
Evaluated impacts of business agreements with other organizations, planning proposals, etc.
- Assisted with build-vs-buy decisions for mission-critical applications.
- Reviewed RFPs for technology projects, evaluated and scored proposals sent in response.
- Reviewed and evaluated XML schema for data interchange between information and referral agencies nationwide.
Sep 2007 - Sep 2009
Senior Customer & Market Analyst, AVP, Customer Analytics dept.
Prepared data-intensive analysis of campaigns related to savings portfolio (3.6 million accounts, $51 billion), and some campaigns related to checking portfolio (3.4 million accounts, $14 billion). Recommended business strategies and presented them to senior management.
- Developed money market savings targeting model yielding $32 MM in new deposits v. $21 MM planned.
- Coordinated implementation of customer scoring algorithm and segmentation strategy for $11 Billion, 270K household bank acquisition. Modeled and validated application used to manage related customer calling campaign. Prepared detailed analysis of campaign for senior management.
- Developed process to analyze telemarketing campaigns - 15.5 million phone calls per year.
May 2005 - Sep 2007
Data Warehouse Business Analyst, CSB Database Services dept.
Developed reporting to enable analysis of checking accounts, money market, brokerage, credit cards, lines of credit, loans, mortgages for direct marketing, fraud investigation and statutory reporting. Managed and enhanced Data Warehouse data quality reporting.
- Received Champion Award and Excel Award nomination for business process design and preparing 70 page requirements document for corporate-wide CRM project expected to earn $90 million over 5 years. Celent recognized National City as a "Model Bank" for this project.
- Developed complex SQL for Best In Class corporate initiative consisting of 33 projects and received two Champion awards.
- VIP Award winner by identifying 80K customers with incorrect privacy data from 2 acquired banks.
- Developed data quality process to correct misreporting of 1099 forms and reduce accounts requiring manual correction from 14,000 to 6 by creating queries to correct deletions, map data to correct format, and reinsert data into tax form files. Received VIP Award.
- Developed methodology to compare account data and household data and identify data anomalies via SQL queries and Visual Basic modules as part of the Data Warehouse Remediation project.
- Developed an automation-assisted process to validate the Household Profitability Audit Report previously validated manually.
Sep 2001 - May 2005
University Data Administrator, Strategic Planning dept.
Managed staff and developed analyses, reporting and databases for departments such as Admissions, Affirmative Action, Assessment, Campus Police, Financial Aid, Institutional Research, and Mentoring. Chaired 25 member Data Stewardship Committee to manage university data and ensure university possessed required data. Served on Deans' IT Council, University Web Committee, HIPAA Compliance Committee to establish university-wide information and technology policies.
- Recognized by President and CIO for outstanding contributions to two-year PeopleSoft 8 upgrade project.
- Managed the seven-month Ohio Board of Regents Enrollment and Financial Aid Audit involving 8 departments, 8 college deans, and a team of 30 people. Favorable results pleased the President of CSU and averted more extensive audit.
- Ensured proper funding from State of Ohio by leading team to develop new business process for setup of flexibly scheduled courses.
Dec 1999 - Sep 2001
Business Technologist, Data Administration dept.
Consulted with business units and partner corporations. Developed reporting from multiple data warehouses and metadata repository for business units and partner corporations. Developed and taught courses in BrioQuery, DB2, QMF, SQL, and CA metadata repository for corporate data warehouse users in business units and partner corporations.
- Developed web-enabled GUI front-end to CA (Platinum) metadata repository / data dictionary.
- Represented both user and IT perspectives during corporate data warehouse redesign project.
- Imagined and developed Quality Assurance methodology for maintenance of dimension tables.
- Analyzed business needs and assisted in the development of data marts and reporting for Sales, Financial Investigations, and Network Management departments.
Jul 1998 - Dec 1999
Senior Statistical Analyst, Medical Business Systems dept.
Designed and developed many SAS, DB2, QMF, SQL and MS Access applications for the Medical Business Systems, Clinical Credentialing, and Clinical Quality Improvement departments.
- Recognized by CEO for efforts resulting in NCQA accreditation by developing patient targeting and outcomes reporting process, and data mart for disease management programs.
- Prevented the incorrect billing of 10K customers by developing DB2, QMF, SQL procedures to update the managed care system.