"Before you endeavor to lead others, seek to know yourself." -M.Liberto
To uphold the goals and organizational values of the City of Newport Beach Fire Department by delivering exemplary service through ethics, passion and innovative leadership.
Jan 2006 - Present
Supervision of fire suppression employees during emergency and non-emergent situations; Fire prevention and community education as it relates to fire and life safety.
Jan 2011 - Jan 2012
Staff Training Captain
Responsible for training and education for the department. Assigned several projects during tenure to reach training and development goals of line personnel.
Jan 2010 - Present
Terrorism Liaison Officer
Operate within a multi-disciplined, information and intelligence sharing network to collect, analyze, and disseminate information on all criminal risks and safety threats to law enforcement, fire, health, private and public sectors.
Jan 2008 - Present
Responsible for determining origin & cause of all fires, witness interviewing and fact gathering, photography of the scene, report preparation and courtroom testimony as an expert witness.
Jan 2008 - Jan 2012
Orange County Fire/Arson Task Force
Elected position. Scheduled and created agenda for monthly task force meetings. Conducted meetings and training in support of the mission of the group and as per the Orange County annex.
Jan 2002 - Jan 2006
Fire suppression duties; Basic and advanced level care of the sick and injured.
Jan 2001 - Jan 2002
Fire suppression duties; Emergency medical care of the sick and injured.
Jan 1998 - Jan 2001
Fire suppression duties; Basic and advanced level medical care of the sick and injured.
Jan 1993 - Jan 1998
Fire suppression and medical response duties as part of an on-call response team. Two years spent on a wildland fire crew and the remainder of the time spent as a Firefighter/FAE on a Type 1 Engine Company.
Associate of Arts
Associate of Arts in General Education
Aug 2014 - Present
Bachelor's Degree (enrollment in process)
Bachelor's of Business Administration (Organizational Leadership) Estimated completion date: 2015
Chief Officer Certification
Demonstrated core competency at the Chief Officer level as required by the California State Fire Marshal's Office. Certification hours: 400+
Fire Officer Certification
Demonstrated core competency at the Fire Officer level as required by the California State Fire Marshal's Office. Certification hours: 400+
80-hour course delivery in the field of fire investigation. Topics included ethics, fire behavior, arson motives and techniques, origin and cause determination, scene safety for fire investigators, fire modeling, report preparation and courtroom testimony.
Jan 2008 - Jan 2010
Fire Investigation I & II Certification
Demonstrated core competency as a Fire Investigator as required by the California State Fire Marshal's Office. Certification hours: 160+
Jan 1997 - Jul 1997
Completed course curriculum required for certification as an EMT-Paramedic in the State of California. Formal education included didactic, clinical and field work.
Computer Processing & Web Design
Health & Fitness Coach
Public Speaking & Presentation
President, Extra Life Orange County
Extra Life Orange County is a non-profit organization in affiliation with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals, benefiting CHOC Children's in the City of Orange. Duties include oversight of an elected committee, overall scope and vision for the group, event planning and general organization of fundraising efforts. This is an elected position.
Coordinator, Games for Soldiers Drive
Games for Soldiers is a charity effort in which various entertainment items such as video games, magazines, books and videos are collected and packaged for distribution to American soldiers deployed in combat zones. Our efforts help to provide a bit of "home" to our protectors abroad. This is a volunteer position.
- Director of NBFD's Health & Wellness Program
- Director of Public Safety Day (2004-2006)
- Coordinator: Safety Committee (2011)
- Telestaff Staffing Coordinator (2006-Present)
- NBFA Webmaster (2004-Present)
- Developed department's Health & Wellness Policy
- Developed Fire Captain's Exam Simulator (committee)
- Developed department's Fire Captain taskbook
- Co-wrote successful grant proposal for wildland gear
- Active Shooter Incident Trainer
- Implemented Fire Officer classes at NBFD Training Center
- Planner & Lead Proctor for Probationary Firefighter Exams
- Updated & Revised Probationary Training Manual
- Developed Fire Investigation Report Templates
- Researched & Implemented Fire Investigator Camera Equipment
- Initial development of NBFD Public Information Policy
- Researched & implemented Target Solutions Program
- Developed Training Module for camera equipment
- Developed Investigator Surveillance Equipment Training
- Developed Training Calendar program upgrade
- Revised, Organized & Delivered 2011 Recruit Academy
- Development & Delivery of Customer Service Training
- Development & Delivery of Fire Investigation 101 Training
- Development & Delivery of WMD/HazMat/Terrorism Training
- Developed internal CICCS Engine Boss Program
- Developed internal DMV Licensing procedures
- EMS Testing Proctor for numerous exams
- Member of County committee for ePCR development
- Paramedic Preceptor
- Event Coordinator: 2011 Firefighter's Olympics
- Supervised & trained 7 probationary employees
- Being a Dad & Husband (true leadership)
- Computer Gaming
- Website Design
- Podcasting & Vidcasting
- Writing (published articles & book manuscript completed)
- Audio & Video Editing
- Health & Fitness (personal and coaching others)
- Hunting & Fishing