Board MemberState of Utah's Ethnic Services Advisory Board
Salt Lake City, Utah - 1997
Appointed to the board during the administration of Governor Mike Leavitt.
- Updated the board's bylaws.
- Outlined methods for surveying ethnic minorities' needs.
- Recommended strategies to increase the Board's visibility and influence among civic and political constituencies.
BishopThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Terms: 1987-1990 and 2001-2004 (I provide this information to showcase my experience managing volunteers in a non-profit organization)
Presided over congregations in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (290 members) and Laie, Hawaii (930 members over 39 months).
- Assigned and released personnel to and from positions of voluntary leadership in congregations of about 200-300 members.
- Conducted monthly correlation and training sessions with the presidents of the eight main church service organizations and humanitarian assistance programs at the local (i.e. parish) level.
- Facilitated planning sessions to strategize ways to overcome local obstacles to the implementation of the church's programs.
- Counseled individual members of the congregation about personal challenges--marital differences, financial difficulties, mental and emotional distresses, etc.
- Raised funds from members of the church and others for welfare assistance, proselytizing activities, facilities maintenance, and operational expenses.