"Education is not filling the pail, but it is lighting the fire." William Butler Yeats
My personal mission is to change education for the better by providing the highest quality education and training to all individuals. Education is a vehicle to change the quality of life for individuals. I am an optimist focused on big goals with innovative solutions. I believe my education, experience and character make me a uniquely qualified candidate.
Higher Education – Staff Training & Development – Instructional Design – Gap Assessment – Project Management – Classroom Management – Online Teaching Methodology – K-12 Curriculum – Program Development – Assessment Evaluation – Web Design – Technology Training – Curriculum Development – Policy Evaluation – Student Attendance –Student Retention – Course Planning – Adult Education Methodology – High Risk Retention
Nov 2013Mar 2014
Education Team Leader/ Adjunct Faculty
Anthem College Online
Managed teams of 12-14 online instructors and supervised content and quality of 45 online classes for up to 250 students per term. Increased student retention through building interesting and effective coursework. Hired, trained and provided on-boarding of new instructors.
- Decreased team drop rate from 10-15% to 2.9%
- Improved instructional methods by reviewing and monitoring instructors’ online materials and lectures. Set realistic timelines, expectations and interventions prior to terminations.
- Reviewed instructor-student contact, attendance and grades. Created and implemented a new and effective communication plan designed to reach and retain high-risk students.
- Implemented strategy meetings at start of each term with instructors to set new goals for retention as well as to evaluate prior practices. Held videoconferences and face-to-face meetings.
Oct 2011Nov 2013
Enrollment Advisor, College of Education
University of Phoenix
Hired to enroll students in the College of Education programs and retain them, at least, through first two classes.
- Increased enrollments 75%, from average 9 per month to 12.
- Averaged 95.2% student retention rate through the first course by weekly contact and encouragement. Re-emphasized educational objectives and student long-term goals.
- Collaborated with academic and financial advisors, working as an efficient team in providing consistent advisement to help students overcome obstacles.
- Achieved Central Division “Inspire Award” for leading by example.
May 2009Aug 2011
Universal Technical Institute
Observed and coached more than 50 nationally certified instructors and lab assistants on best classroom practices. Hired to evaluate and create new testing material for the Marine Tech Training program as well as other projects, with budgets up to $25 million.
- Improved test scores 9.5% by providing quality assurance and coaching instructors on more effective teaching methods that gauged students’ understanding of the material.
- Implemented learning objectives in line with Bloom’s Taxonomy. Set new standards by introducing open-ended questions and learning activities to the instructor’s guide.
- Evaluated and developed final course evaluations for 23 classes.
- Collaborated with industry partners such as Audi, GM, Ford and Freightliner who provided actual classroom training models.
- Set in place systems, time frames and daily goals; reorganized the Avondale Teach and Evaluation.
- Updated and incorporated National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) guidelines into coursework and lab finals.
Various Vocational Programs (Anthem Online College)
* Collaborated with instructors and curriculum development team on course revisions and performed quality control
Automotive Technology Training Program (Universal Technical Institute)
* Developed curriculum/assessment for 25 courses in alignment with NATEF standards
* Demonstrated knowledge of educational tools including: Captivate and Adobe InDesign
* Transformed a hybrid curriculum of online modules and classroom instruction
* Designed formative and summative assessments using ADDIE and Bloom's taxonomy design methods
* Evaluated curriculum and instruction during the pilot project for quality control
* Provided a summary report to senior management
Marine Mechanics Institute (Universal Technical Institute)
* Developed electrical courses in collaboration with subject matter experts
* Designed formative and summative performance labs and quizzes for all courses
* Implemented Constructed Response Questions (CRQ)
Dual Enrollment (Paradise Valley High School)
* Established dual enrollment program for English courses at PV high school in collaboration with Rio Salado Community College
* Designed and implemented extended curriculum for English courses: Eng101/102, and Creative Writing
* Created curriculum aligned to state and community college standards based on current research
Adjunct Faculty, Anthem College Online, Phoenix, Arizona -- Winter 2014
Courses: SPH 205: Public Communication
Adjunct Faculty, Arizona State University Polytechnic, Chandler, Arizona -- Fall 2008
Courses: RDG 301: Literacy and Instruction in the Content Area
Teacher, Chandler High School, Chandler, Arizona -- July 2007 - Jun. 2008
Courses: English 9, English 10
Adjunct Faculty, Rio Salado Comm. College, Tempe, Arizona -- Jan. 2005 - May 2007
Courses: Creative Writing, English 101, and English 102
Teacher, Paradise Valley High School (PVHS), Phoenix, Arizona -- Aug. 2002 - May 2007
Courses: Creative Writing, English 101/102, English 1-2/AIMS Prep (SEI), English 3-4,
Student Advisor, New Start Summer Program, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona -- 1998 -1999
Courses: Student Success Seminar.
University of Arizona
Minor in Business Administration
Arizona State University
Master’s Thesis: Sleep Deprivation, Start-Times, or Poor Time Management? The Problem with Motivating Students
Arizona State University
Research: Educational policy reform addressing trends in North America, South America and Europe. Student and teacher perceptions of care/caring relationships and the effects on student performance and achievement.
Dissertation Title: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Hippocampus: The effects of humor-embedded instruction on student achievement and memory retention
Arizona State Department of Education
Provisional Secondary Education - English
Arizona Department of Education - expired
Member, Kappa Delta Pi, International Honors Society for Education
Social Media Coordinator (No. Phx), David Garcia Campaign for Superintendent of Public Schools