Laboratory Biologist I
Initially Melissa assisted in the planning and execution of in vitro toxicology experiments involving the effects of carcinogen and chemopreventive agents on cellular and biochemical endpoints.
After about a year, she moved on to manage daily operations in the Test Article Laboratory, where she was responsible for receipt, preparation, dispensation, and general maintenance of test substance records for preclinical toxicology studies.
In this capacity she:
- Adapted sponsor-provided test article preparation procedures to IITRIs SOPs and requirements.
- Optimized test article preparation procedures and efficiency.
When not needed in the Test Article Laboratory, she provided support in the analytical chemistry area, analyzing dose formulation, plasma and diet preparations as needed. Things she accomplished in this area include:
- Trained other personnel in the use of the VarianStar HPLC system and software.
- Trained other personnel in the use of the CoulArray electrochemical detector (an HPLC add-on).
- Learned the basic use of the Waters Millennium Chromatography software.
Melissa also spent several years managing daily operations in one of IITRIs cell culture laboratories. In this capacity she:
- Optimized cytotoxicity assays.
- Learned software for a new spectrophotometer/plate reader as part of the process of optimizing the assays.
- Learned use of AlphaImager software and trained other personnel in its use.
- Assisted in planning and execution of in vitro toxicology experiments, learning to more independently plan and execute experiments given a general outline of the experimental direction.