Dec 2009 - Present
Shelton & Shelton Sustainable Solutions
- New Development
- Snow removal
- Dirt work
- Can operate
- Dump truck
- Profit and Loss Statements
2003 - 2008
A.C.E Distributing Inc
* Monthly invoicing and settlement for 200+ vendors
* Weekly reports for corporate accounts
* Weekly debt/profit statements
* Fleet maintenance schedule
* Facilitate and implement new procedures to contracted individuals
* Communicate new product lines and operating procedures to vendors and contracted distributors
* Reconcile and report all monthly debts
* Responsible for all cash and deposits
* Bi-weekly compensation for contracted individuals
* Quick books
1996 - 2004
Interpretive Guide/Education/Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association
- Creation/facilitation of educational programs for children and adults
- Provide education and safety for all visitors
- Design appropriate and informative signage
- Record and report visitor/program counts
- Training of volunteers regarding area information and safety procedures
- Development of major project days involving 300+ participants
- Coordination and training of team leaders
- Creation of volunteer appreciation days and awards
- Development and liaison for the "User Coalition"
- Fiscal responsibility for all personal programs and projects
- Provide counsel and education for youth groups
- Public speaking engagements
- Create and provide educational booths at community fairs and events
- Compile a bi-weekly log of assigned work dedication and billing
- Construction/maintenance of trails
- Restoration of damaged areas
- Responding to public demands and inquires
- Submit monthly articles to various publications
- National Association for Interpretation
- Interpretive Writing
- Leave No Trace Master
- Various BLM sanctioned workshops
- 2003 United States Department of Interior's Excellence in Interpretation/Environmental Education
- 1999 Las Vegas District BLM Volunteer of the Year
Sep 2010 - Present
SocioCultural Philosophies of Sustainability with a Sustainable Agriculture Minor
Fort Lewis College
Currently on the Dean's list
Oct 2009 - Dec 2010
Pagosa Springs Parks and Recreation
School conflicted with meeting times and I had to resign.
1997 - 2009
I created Canyon Keepers through the BLM in 1997. It was a voluteer based group with the mission of "we're working together today to preserve tomorrow". The mission statement was adopted by the Friends of Red Rock
Feb 2008 - May 2008
City of Henderson UPRR Trail Corridor Citizen Advisory Board
I was invited to sit on a committee to discuss ways to incorporate an abandoned railway corridor into a connective trailway which would be viable for several types of recreation while providing and promoting education...preserving the character of each neighborhood.
2005 - 2008
Mission/Paradise Hills Rural Alliance (MPRA)
The MPRA is a citizens group sanctioned by the City of Henderson to be the voice for the residents of Mission and Paradise Hills. MPRA protected a unique section of Henderson which is a rural overlay within the city limits. Our mission was to communicate with the City to preserve/protect the rural livestyle within a booming city.
2000 - 2002
Red Rock Canyon Users Coalition
I developed a core of diverse recreational groups to discuss their recreational needs while educating each other of their needs for their specific recreational passion. This created an understanding and buffered the tensions between groups.
1998 - 2001
While working on my degree, I was offered full time employment with the BLM through the Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association
Melissa Kay Shelton
2147 Eagle Dr
Pagosa Springs CO
I was drawn to Pagosa Springs by it's pristine natural beauty, vital resources and charm of the community. I would consider it a priviledge to be part of a team, whose vision was to preserve and promote the attributes of this area and to encourage community growth and local sustainability.
March 14, 2012
Chimney Rock Farm & Market 500 CR 175, Bayfield CO 81122
To whom it may concern,
It is my pleasure to write this letter in support of Ms. Melissa Shelton’s application for the Internship position. I’ve come to know Melissa as a student in several of my agriculture classes at Fort Lewis College (Sustainable Agriculture, Soils, Crop Production), and as one of my student advisees. As a result, I have had multiple opportunities to get to know Melissa in different circumstances.
From her first days as one of my students at Fort Lewis College, Melissa has distinguished herself as a serious, attentive woman who clearly values her academic training, probably more so than the average student. I suspect it’s obvious to any of the faculty that interact with Melissa that she is constantly striving to make the most of her college experiences in preparing for a professional career in agriculture and resource management. Academically, Melissa consistently produces work that I would rate as very good to excellent. Melissa is always ready with questions that reflect her thoughtful consideration of the subject matter at hand as well as her genuine interest in pursuing real depth in her studies.
In reflecting on what I’ve observed with regard to Melissa’s maturity, work ethic, and aptitude, she consistently demonstrates a dependable, can-do, detail oriented attitude that should be of great benefit to your program. On a personal level Melissa exemplifies the sort of maturity, steadiness, promptness, dependability, and professional demeanor that virtually every employer prizes. Additionally, my experiences with Melissa suggest that you would find her to be a congenial, personable employee as far as working with others on team projects. I respectfully ask you to give her application serious consideration.
Please contact me by phone (970-247-7192) or email (email@example.com) if I may be of further assistance in recommending Melissa for the Internship Position.
Dr. Philip E Shuler
Professor, Department of Agriculture and Biology, Fort Lewis College