May 2014 - Present
Aug 2013 - Jun 2014
Prevention Coordinator and Youth Advocate
Responsible for youth domestic violence and sexual assault services and advocacy in all communities in Columbia County.
- Created and delivered a ten session curriculum teaching healthy relationships and violence prevention to youth between seventh and twelfth grades, including interactive sessions on healthy relationships, communication, sexual assault, stalking, violence and abuse, gender roles, and self-esteem building among other topics.
- Expanded the organization's existing violence prevention program to reach ten times the population than the year before.
- Provided personal advocacy for youth and adults on an ongoing basis, collaborating with schools, counselors, community organizations, and their families.
- Served on the Fund Development Committee helping to coordinate a sustainable funding strategy for future years.
May 2011 - Jun 2013
Community Health and Development Associate
Stationed in a rural Rwandan health center, work with community health workers to improve community health education focusing on malnutrition, gender based violence, and general health practices.
·Created and implemented a small animal husbandry project utilizing chickens and rabbits as a source of protein in the community. The project serves as an income generating activity involving the community health workers, who also teach weekly nutritional cooking groups and contribute part of their monthly yields to feed malnourished children through these cooking groups.
·Organized and implemented youth health, wellness and personal development camps which focused on teaching teenage students about preventing HIV, making healthy life decisions relative to their goals for the future, as well as career development and leadership training.
·Co-managed and edited the Rwanda Peace Corps Volunteer journal, SOMA, and created and maintained a website for the quarterly publication www.somarwanda.weebly.com.
Nov 2007 - Jul 2010
Co-Director of Finance
Began as a volunteer with the assault prevention shuttle in 2007. Later served as a dispatcher, then as their education coordinator. Finally served for over a year as their Co-Director of Finance.
- Coordinated volunteers and staff members, while creating nightly schedules and answering the call line.
- Organized staff awareness and educational trainings surrounding the issue of assault and human wellness, as well as staff retreats, outreach projects to the student body and fundraisers.
- Managed the organization's finances, wrote and presented the following years budget, and served as liason between the organization and the university governing body.
- Co-coordinated staff and dealt with issue management, maintenance and daily organization operation as well as continued serving as a dispatcher during evenings.
Sep 2006 - Jul 2010
Worked in the faculty office for four years, doing everything from copying and mailing to special tasks like transcription and room reservations.
- Managed a series of databases and information like class schedules, room calendars and product orders.
- Assisted faculty and students in day to day operation, informational services, and unique projects that arose.
May 2009 - Dec 2009
Outreach and Development Intern
Interned at WREN, an environmental education nonprofit for six months, completing 360 hours of service with the goal of cultivating community awareness, youth outreach and increasing the organization's development tools.
- Create and disperse public relations materials including the quarterly newsletter, advertisements for local newspapers and various take-homes for the education programs and youth festivals
- Merchandise Committee, Fundraising and Fundraising Event Committees
- Designed an active website concept for the organization: http://wreneducation.weebly.com/
- Advertised and performed outreach at local events and festivals
- Assisted in managing donor database as well as member contact information
Sep 2006 - Jun 2010
Bachelor of Arts
School of Planning, Public Policy and Management
Minor: Nonprofit Administration
School of Journalism and Communication: Public Relations
Special Skills:Speak Kinyarwanda fluently, basic level Spanish and multiple computer and desktop publishing capabilities.
Boys and Girls Club of Tucson - February 2011 to April 2011
Bryce Canyon National Park - June 2010 to September 2010
Glacier National Park - June 2007 to August 2007
Sun Country Rafting Tours - June 2004 to September 2006
PARC Resources, LLC - 2001 to 2006 (part-time marketing assistant)
- Jackson Family Foundation Fund - Sep 2007 - Jun 2010, Board Member, Participated in the creation and development of the JFFF in 2007. Cultivated and presented grant proposals to adress issues like global coral reef destruction and human exploitation in Cambodia, while serving as secretary of the organization for three years.
- HIV Alliance Riverwalk Event Planning Committee - March 2010 - May 2010, an event to promote awareness of and solidarity for individuals living with HIV/AIDS.
- Project Homeless Connect - 2009-2010, event which coordinates survival tools and products for the homeless population of Lane County, bringing together food, haircuts, supplys, medical and veterinary assistance.
- Take Back the Night - 2008-2010, anti-assault protest and rally. Served as a transportation coordinator and participated in the march, the planning and implementation of this event and domestic violence awareness week annually for three years.
- Mission for Mexico - March 2004, traveled to mexico and constructed houses for the local population as well as participated in regular activities with the youth to develop our own cultural awareness.