Jun 2009 - Aug 2010
- Created the Local Advocacy Practice at LNE Group. This Practice advises and counsels clients who are interested in securing state, local and municipal economic incentives (grants, tax incentives and loans) for their companies.
- Since the launch of the Practice, LNE Group has secured over $3.5 million in state, local and municipal incentives. First quarter - 2010 pipeline of incentives sought by clients exceeds $4.0 million.
- Secured 12 clients for LNE Group, two of which were international companies looking to establish a U.S. presence and secure local incentives.
- Created a pipeline from scratch to over $300,000 within 60 days of starting date.
- Given the responsibility of implementing a new CRM system. Within 30 days had system selected and began implementation. System was operational by end of third quarter.
- Partnered with Corporate College to establish the "Social Media Lab" - a unique venue for companies to learn and implement social media strategies simultaneously.
- Created the "Cleveland 2.0" discussion series with the City Club of Cleveland to highlight the emerging personalities, rising industries and vital issues in the Cleveland and Northeast Ohio area.
- Implemented a new email marketing system and began implementing a social media strategy for the company including a FaceBook Fanpage (www.facebook.com/lnegroup) and a Twitter campaign.
- Frequent commentator for WKYC Channel 3 on topics of technology. Was a central commentator on the Drew Carey documentary on Cleveland entitled, "Reason Saves Cleveland." Additionally, was a guest commentator on the John Stoessel Show (Fox Business News). I have been quoted on economic development and social media issues in Crain's Cleveland Business, Inside Business and the Plain Dealer.
Sep 2007 - Mar 2009
Senior Director of Business Development
- Created the New Business Development Group at FIT Technologies ("FIT"), a Cleveland, OH-based full service IT company, and expanded the group from one employee to three employees by first quarter of 2009.
- Grew the corporate client base from two clients to 31 within 18 months.
- Member of the Executive Management Team at FIT Technologies. Reported directly to the CEO of FIT.
- Grew sales pipeline from zero opportunities to a $42 million sales pipeline by first quarter 2009.
- In fiscal year 2008 closed on $3.0 million in new IT contract sales for FIT Technologies and an additional $650,000 hardware/software sales for FIT's technology partners.
- Worked on the new brand development for FIT Technologies, 2008 and 2009 marketing plan, sponsorship program and social media strategies.
- Developed the business development and marketing strategic plan in late 2007 for FIT Technologies that mapped out the core industry targets, product/service categories, created marketing strategies/collateral and a five-year forecast for sales goals that was to establish FIT as a $50 million sales enterprise by 2013.
- Supported and implemented a Customer Relationship Management ("CRM") program during first and second quarter of 2008 that enabled the business development team to scientifically track sales calls, lead generation programs, sales life-cycle, proposals and sales contracts.
- In addition to the CRM implementation, developed the Microsoft SharePoint business development portal during second and third quarter of 2008. This SharePoint portal offered target client lists, proposal development tracking, weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting as well as strategic business development plans for 2008 and 2009.
Nov 2004 - Sep 2007
- Was appointed to the "Tech Czar," or Senior Executive for Technology Development position by Mayor Campbell in late 2004 and reappointed to the position by Mayor Jackson in 2006.
- During the Campbell administration utilized the Core Cities Tech Fund I and invested $3.5 million in low interest loans into Cleveland, OH-based tech firms/projects (OneSource, IdeaCenter, Digiknow, JurInnov, Stratum Technology, PerceptIS) so as to support the City’s initiative to create a strong technology community.
- As the “Tech Czar” at the City of Cleveland, I recruited 37 tech companies to the Downtown or Midtown areas of the City. These companies account for nearly 1,000 new jobs to the City.
- In partnership with Playhouse Square Foundation (“PSF”), created the Hanna Tech Hotel concept for post-revenue emerging tech companies. This concept offered a turn-key office space which included connectivity, furniture, telephone systems, fax and copiers for a set monthly fee and a one-year lease term.
- Originated the eTech Hatchery concept that was an operational business incubator in Downtown Cleveland. This mini-incubator was for tech companies that desired to be in Downtown but could afford market rent. The eTech Hatchery offered low cost rent and significant promotion through the efforts of the City of Cleveland and the Playhouse Square Foundation.
- Created “Paradigm” - a magazine devoted to the tech community, personalities and companies in the Northeast Ohio area. Initial issue will be December 2006 with a 75,000 distribution list. Key sponsors for this magazine are the City of Cleveland, City of Beachwood, Youngstown Business Incubator, NEOSA, NorTech and 15 other key development groups in Northeast Ohio.
- Developed a public relations campaign for the City of Cleveland detailing the economic development policies for the City. This campaign has lead to stories in the following publications: Crain’s Cleveland Business, Plain Dealer, Smart Business News, Cleveland.com, WEWS-Channel 5 and 90.3 WCPN.
- Initiated the following programs to enhance the City’s presence in the tech community: Women in Technology (May - 2005), Red Room Dialogues (April, June, August & November - 2005), CEO Forum (November 2005, June 2006), Tech Czar Holiday Bash (December 2005), Tech Czar Cocktail Reception (March 2006) and Paradigm Magazine Launch Party (December 2006).
Jan 2004 - Nov 2004
Chief Financial Officer
- As Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”), I was responsible for the following strategic areas of the Company: Financial Reporting and Performance, Human Resources, Marketing, Corporate Governance and Special Projects.
- Supported the Board of Directors in raising $1.5 million in private equity to start the operations of the Company.
- Secured $1.5 million in Ohio Technology Investment Tax Credits on behalf of the investors in the Company. The Credits allowed the investors to receive an immediate return equal to the 25 percent of their investment in the form of a tax credit.
- Negotiated two lease lines-of-credit through Cisco Capital for a total of $225,000. The leases were used to secure equipment for the initial BlueBridge Networks facility.
- Developed a branding and go-to-market campaign on behalf of the Company which included, but was not limited to: logo creation, marketing collateral, web development, brand campaigns, public relations promotion, seminar formation and sponsorship.
- Created a public relations campaign that placed BlueBridge Networks within the following publications: Crain’s Cleveland Business, Plain Dealer, Akron Beacon Journal, Inside Business, ISPNews, e-Week, geeknews.com and craintech.com.
Apr 2000 - Aug 2003
Director of Business Development
- New clients brought to Saltz, Shamis & Goldfarb (“SS&G”) while in this position: Arter & Hadden, Secure Interiors, Hiedelberg College, Grigg-Smith Industries, Ohio Polymer Economic Development Fund, OEM Labeling, Egoware Software, Ohio Business Vendors Association, Dornoch Development Group, BrandMuscle, Vertical Solutions and Tele-Track.
- First employee to assume business development activities on a full-time basis for SS&G. Reported directly to the Executive Committee of the firm.
- Responsible for the three core areas of business development: internal development (cross-selling to current clients), external development (new client development), and new product development.
- Launched an internal business development referral program in conjunction with SS&G’s marketing department , which offered a bonus for an initial contact with a potential client and a second bonus for cementing a professional service relationship.
- Frequent commentator on Fox 8 News: Unplugged Morning Segment.
May 1999 - Apr 2000
- Responsible for managing three groups - retail, roasting/wholesale, corporate - of a retail and wholesale coffee chain, based in Akron, OH, earning a top line figure of $2.2 million.
- Initiated a tactical turnaround plan for the Company that involved the closing of two retail units, spinning-off the roasting segment, termination of certain corporate job functions, creation of a commissary bakery and began merger negotiations with another speciality coffee retailer.
- Opened a new coffee concept - a factory outlet model - in the Akron area that allowed the chain to clear retail products and lower priced coffee products to the general public.
Apr 1997 - May 1999
- Project manager for Ernst & Young’s (E&Y’s) Legal Services Advisory Group Committee and EY Law, E&Y’s European-based law firm. Goal of this project was to build a business case to acquire or build a U.S. based legal entity.
- Created with E&Y’s Professional and Organizational Development ("PO&D") group to establish a target acquisition list of educational consulting firms.
- Completed the American Express Accounting Firm Acquisition Study for the E&Y National Tax Practice. Study included current strategy, possible future strategies, a review of past twelve months acquisitions with multiples, target geographic areas and target firms.
May 1996 - Mar 1997
- Worked as the lead associate on the OM Group’s $240.0 million bifurcated revolving credit facility and on the Brush Wellman $60.0 million Synthetic Lease.
- Developed a matrix process detailing the existing conditions in high yield debt secondary markets for the media and entertainment industries.
Aug 1994 - May 1996
Masters in Business Administration
- Who’s Who in the Midwest, 1996
- Weatherhead Award for Outstanding Entrepreneurial Achievement, 1996
- Columnist, The Weathervane
Aug 1987 - Dec 1991
- Mortar Board - The D’Artagnan Society
- Dean’s/Athletic Director’s List
- Member of Cross-Country Team, 1990
- Gold/Silver X-Key Leadership Award
2006 - Present
Economic Development Finance Professional
The National Development Council