Thoughtful communications professional passionate about discovering and shaping the stories inside successful organizations. Corporate, nonprofit and agency experience, including strong writing and editing skills and focus on tracking and measurement. Warm and energetic, with good sense of humor and love of learning.
Spending time with my family, running, baking, water color painting, reading, crossword puzzles and attending performing arts events.
Mar 2012 - Present
Media Relations Manager
- Manage all media activities for Montgomery Parks, including working with reporters, overseeing social media channels and strategy.
- Manage communication reports for Montgomery Parks management and stakeholder audiences including the Montgomery Planning Board and Montgomery County elected officials
- Manage events for Montgomery Parks including development and coordination of park openings, dedications and renovations to showcase parks role in the community.
Sep 2009 - Present
Director of Public Relations
Manage assistant director of public relations, cross departmental social media team, and PR and multimedia interns. Develop and execute public relations strategies to promote arts and education initiatives for Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts,Leverage traditional and new media channels to promote Wolf Trap's mission and strengthen its brand among target audiences. Serve as liaison to senior executives for messaging and interview preparation.
- Develop and maintain annual, strategic public relations plan outlining goals, objectives and tactics.
- Provide quarterly public relations reports showcasing initiatives and results to Wolf Trap Board of Directors.
- Secure international, national and regional press coverage. Sampling of earned media garnered in past 12 months includes placements in the Wall Street Journal, Investor's Business Daily, Washington Post, Washington Post Magazine, AARP.com, Huffington Post, WAMU and NPR.com.
- Define and guide execution of social media initiatives on Wolf Trap blog, Facebook fan page, Twitter account and YouTube channel to monitor and increase engagement with audiences.
- Secure media and speaking opportunities for Wolf Trap executives in targeted channels to raise profile of senior counsel. Sampling of opportunities secured in the past 12 months include speaking opportunity at Earth Day 2010 event on The Mall on Wolf Trap's Go Green program, CEO profile in Private Clubs magazine, Washington Post Magazine "First Person Singular" profile on Wolf Trap's director of opera and classical programming.
Nov 2007 - Jun 2009
- Secured regular press coverage - in both traditional and new media - for several clients, highlighting their key messages and value proposition to target audiences.
- Developed relationships with reporters and bloggers for three clients. Outlets include New York Times, Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post. (see attached portfolio item).
- Developed byline articles, letters to the editor, press releases, speaking opportunity and award proposals resulting in coverage, speaking slots and industry recognitions.
- Manage team of three people on business-to-business and consumer client accounts to ensure goals are met and timely results delivered.
- Drive strategic direction on all accounts including developing PR plans, budgets and timelines.
- Develop and nurture client relationships.
New Business Development:
- Research new business opportunities and participate in proposal development.
- Deliver presentations clearly communicating our ideas and establishing a lively dialogue.
Oct 2004 - Nov 2007
- Led successful communications campaign for company merger with its largest competitor, managing press conference and media interviews, resulting in positive coverage (see attached placement).
- Implemented annual media day at Blackboard's Users conference resulting in coverage on CNBC.
- Led crisis communications efforts during controversial patent law suit, working closely with company Chief Legal Officer to create candid, open relationships with industry press.
- Managed domestic and UK PR agencies to drive steady, media coverage in mainstream and trade press, resulting in earned placement in The New York Times, Times Higher Ed Supplement (UK), The Washington Post, USA Today and The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Developed and implemented speakers bureau program securing Blackboard executive and client opportunities.
- Established and implemented business and industry awards program winning several prestigious awards including the SIIA Codie award.
Oct 2001 - Oct 2004
Public Relations Specialist
Upon starting my family, I spent several years working as a consultant and freelance public relations specialist. During this time, I worked primarily with Kaplow PR handling a variety of initiatives for eBay, including writing assignments and media relations.
- Secured print and TV coverage of eBay University in several media markets to drive awareness of this in-person training program to help people get started selling on eBay.
- Secured over one dozen articles in university newspapers promoting Half.com as the destination to buy and sell text books.
- Developed clean and compelling publicity materials including press releases, fact sheets and FAQs to drive media interest.
May 1998 - Jul 2001
- Led public relations efforts for eBay holiday shopping campaign. That year (1998) eBay was the most visited online retailer during the holiday season.
- Generated dozens of media placements about holiday shopping on eBay in national newspapers, magazines and TV affiliate stations.
- Contributed to growing our work with eBay from holiday shopping campaign to multi-category retainer program.
- Managed iMaternity account leading up to the successful acquisition by Motherhood Maternity.
- Account management including leading weekly calls, writing press releases, pitching national and regional media print and electronic outlets, and providing monthly client reports.