Twisted Soul Food Concepts
My time at Twisted Soul represents my first job after graduation. I continued to work with Chef Ira D. Lee whom I had worked with while at Main Course Catering. Twisted Soul was Chef Lee's personal restaurant, and he worked at Main Course on the side as a consultant / head chef.
Working at Twisted Soul really brought my skill set to the next level. Chef Lee previously had been a teacher at a culinary school in Mexico, and worked in some of the best restaurants in the country, his 20 + years of knowledge and expertise were a constant presence in the kitchen and I strove to work up to the demanding standards he set for his employees.
While we had part time employees for the majority of our tedious prep work, my responsibilities in the restaurant were all inclusive. I learned how to make every menu item we featured, all of them being made from scratch - and extensive R & D by Chef Lee.
A brief list of my duties while at Twisted Soul is as follows:
- Maintaining kitchen cleanliness - Chef emphasized this as the most important thing to learn in his kitchen.
- Making a variety of menu items including but not limited to ; sauces, stocks, noodles, dumpling fillings, arepas, vinaigrettes, empanadas fillings and soups.
- Following, and preparing catering / drop off menus for clients. Ensuring food went out properly plated, hot, on time and with all components required for that particular menu.
- Assisted the Chef with off premise catering, often times heating and preparing the food at the restaurant and then bringing to the location and serving to the clients.
- Worked up front at the register, taking orders from customers, preparing the food / drinks, serving and clearing tables.
Chef Ira Lee has polished everything about my presence in the kitchen. As a result I -am faster, cleaner, better organized, able to multi task better, and able to handle the stress of working in a kitchen environment. The Chef - while being one of the most demanding and difficult employers I have ever had the pleasure of working for - told me at the beginning of my employment that he makes people into "super chefs". My time under his tutelage has vastly increased skill set, and abilities in a kitchen environment.