- Brooklyn US-NY
- [email protected]
Seeking position directly related to enhancing spatial information for water resources planning that is challenging and requires sound GIS, cartographic, and research skills.
Solecki, W., Leichenko, R., Major, D., Brady, M., Robinson, D., Barnes, M., Gerbush, M., Patrick, L. (Forthcoming, 2011/12). Economic Assessment of Climate Change Impacts in New Jersey.
Solecki, W., Patrick, L., Brady, M., Grady, K. and Maroko, A. 2010. Climate Protection Levels. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1196: 293–352. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2010.05325.x
Solecki, W., Patrick, L., Hachadoorian, L., Brady, M. 2008. Teaching Sustainability at CUNY: An Inventory and Prospect. A Report of the CUNY Institute for Sustainable Cities.
College Now Workshop Instructor
Hunter College - The City University of New York, New York, NY, Summer 2010.
Lectured to College Now high school students enrolled in a sustainability enrichment workshop for an environmental science course.
Hunter College - The City University of New York, New York, NY, Spring 2011.
Taught Weather and Climate lab
Association of American Geographers (AAG): Member, 2007 - present.
Gamma Theta Upsilon International Geographical Honor Society, Theta Pi, Hunter College, CUNY Chapter:Member, 2009 - present.
Golden Key International Honour Society: Member, 2009 - present
Applying a Watershed Model to Study Storm Surge within the Hudson River Estuary (Paper Session: Sea Level Rise, Impacts, and Policy). Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, April 12-17, 2011. Presenter/Author.
Critical Transitions, Climate Change and Urban Water Resources Management (Paper Session: Climate change: Drivers, consequences, and effects on ecosystem functioning). Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, April 12-17, 2011. Co-author.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS): ESRI ArcGIS 9.x, Network Analyst, Spatial Analyst, HEC-GeoHMS, Social Explorer, Idrisi, R
Database Management: ArcCatalog, MS Access, CMS
Statistics: SPSS, GeoDA, R
Administration: MS Office Suite, People Soft, Central Desktop
· Extensive GIS experience in diverse environments including government, private, and academic
· Experience building USCAE hydrological watershed model for storm surge and flooding applications
· US Coast Guard responder with GIS responsibilities for Deep Water Horizon oil spill
· Post-Hurricane Katrina GIS and fieldwork experience
· Excellent research and project management skills
My thesis centers on developing a hydrological model for non-stationarity water resources planning.
· Develop watershed model to couple with storm surge application for Hudson River Estuary using ArcGIS
· Manage NJDEP study to assesseconomic impacts ofclimate change in New Jersey; author of fisherieseconomic sector chapter
· Map NYC critical infrastructure within the coastal zone and review climate-related design/performance standards
· Developed spatial database for open source city bicycle route online mapping service using ArcGIS
· Researched resilience and sustainability topics for book publication
· Research for Undergraduates grant
· Collected coastal socioeconomic and environmental data to study linkages between hurricane frequency andimpacts in the Gulfof Mexico (remotely in addition to fieldwork)
· Assembled multiple weather datasets needed to parameterize hurricane damage model
· Reviewed data and reported Gulf of Mexico regional and local land subsidence rates
· Digitized and geo-referenced NYC property insurance maps to enhance digital gallery using ArcMap and managed physical maps, microfilms, and atlases
· Coordinated with USGS and URS Corp GIS staff to retrieve field data and maps during Deep Water Horizon oil spill
· Used a GIS to target commercial maritime vessels for safety inspection, investigated pollution incidents,andinspect containerized cargo shipments
· Lead Boarding Officer for hundreds of maritime vessel safety/security inspections in the Port of NY/NJ
· Coordinated outreach efforts for the Ballast Water Management program in the Port of NJ/NY