Mindspark (annual revenues of approx. $250 million) creates consumer web and desktop applications. IAC is a global internet leader with a combined network of sites that ranks in the world’s top 10 by number of visitors.
As Senior Director, managed P&L for cross-functional product development teams of up to 25 professionals, including 3 direct reports. Worked closely with design, editorial, and software leads to oversee product creation / delivery. Set and tracked goals, budgets, deadlines. Promoted twice for ability to execute and develop talent.
Grew Zwinky, a teen-focused social networking and virtual world product, from approx. 6 million registered users worldwide in Jan 2007 to 25+ million in 2010.
Identified and seized new strategic opportunities based on changing user behavior:
- Boosted Zwinky search revenue to over $25 million by relaunching Zwinky as a virtual world with new viral features that dramatically increased member acquisition and raised average time spent by active users by 600%. Completed relaunch just 3 months after taking on leadership of Zwinky.
- In 2010, scaled up social gaming / networking for site and optimized online community management by leading a comprehensive product and technical overhaul. Overhaul was completed in under 7 months.
Generated new revenue streams for Zwinky:
- Spearheaded introduction of premium “virtual goods”, generating $1+ million in new ecommerce revenue within 18 months. Virtual goods sales are rising 110% annually with growth in site’s gaming.
- Won $750,000 in new advertising revenue from major advertisers within first year by creating custom marketing campaigns such as a Nike promotion that drove 800,000 visits to Nike site over 4 weeks.
- Introduced a freemium model with launch of brand extension Zwinky Cuties, which offered a paid subscription upsell. Cuties represented a strategic opportunity to bring brand to a younger demographic.
Repeatedly tapped to lead special projects that were of strategic importance to Mindspark.
- Developed strategy for Mindspark’s “Popular Screensavers” product line. Advocated site upgrade to add viral features (integration with Facebook, Twitter) and make site more SEO-friendly; implemented in 2010, this boosted pageviews by 300%. Successfully cut number and cost of licensing deals.
- Led toolbar integration with Internet Explorer 7 to combat potential negative impact on search revenue. Drove multivariate testing and analytics which successfully identified solutions to optimize user experience while obtaining and preserving default search provider status for Mindspark products.
- Drove adoption of Agile Project Management methodology across product development teams.
- After IAC acquired Mindspark, led build of toolbar for another IAC property, HSN.
Consistently coached and mentored direct reports resulting in 6 promotions between 5 direct reports.