Junior, Senior &Chief Resident: Dept of Gen Surgery, King George Medical College, Lucknow, India
21 Jan 77 to 17 July 79
Chief Resident in Neurosurgery: King George Medical College, Lucknow, India, 18 July 80 to 27 June 83
Senior Resident in Neurosurgery: Dr. R.M.L. Hospital. New Delhi, India. 28 Dec 83 to 26 Feb 84
Lecturer in Neurosurgery: J.N. Medical College. Aligarh, India. 27 Feb 84 to 20 June 84
Lecturer in Neurosurgery: King George Medical College. Lucknow, India. 21 June 84 to 31 Dec 85
Assistant Prof of Neurosurgery: King George Medical College. Lucknow, India. 01 Jan 86 to 17 July 89
Associate Prof of Neurosurgery: King George Medical College. Lucknow, India. 18 July 89 to 16 Apr 97
Professor: Department of Neurosurgery. King George Medical College. (CSM Medical University) Lucknow, India 16 April 97 till 15 Oct.2008
Head: Department of Neurosurgery, King George Medical College. (CSM Medical University) Lucknow, India.
l8 Oct 94 till 15 Oct.2008
Chief of Neurosurgery, Sahara India Medical Institute Lucknow, India 16 Oct.2008 till date
- International Member - Congress of Neurological Surgery USA.
- Life Member – Neurological Society of India.
- Life Member & past president- Neuroscience society of UP.
- Member – Indian Bureau of Standards, in medical devices
Experience of Operating 600 to 700 cases per year consisting of variety of Neurosurgical Diseases such as:
- Cranial Neurosurgery: Gliomas. Intracanial Hematoma, Pituitary Adenoma (Trans-sphenoidal Operation), Craniopharyngiomas, Acoustic neuromas, Germinoma, Epidermoids,Colloid Cysts etc.
- Aneurysms and AV malformations of anterior and posterior circulation
- Spinal Neurosurgery: Disc Prolapse, Spondylotic Myelopathy, Spondylolisthesis. Syringomyelia, Spinal tumours, Tuberculosis, Craniovertebral anomalies, Atlanto-axial dislocations, Spinal fixations and Fusions. Vertebroplasty & Baloon Kyphoplasty
Specialized Surgical Procedures: Pioneer in the field of Endoscopic Neurosurgery in India, and routinely performing operations including -
- Endoscopic third ventriculostomy, aqueductoplasty. aqueduct stenting, tumour biopsy and excision, excision of colloid cyst, cystic craniopharyngioma and management of intraventricular NCC
- Endoscopic assisted surgery for intracranial aneurysms, MVD of cranial neuropathies.
- Endoscopic Transoral decompression of craniovertebral junction. Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy
- M.Ch. (Neurosurgery) -- trained 40 students.
- Ph.D. – supervised one student.
- Ph.D. – co-supervised 3 students.
Research Projects-(Completed 1995-2009)
MR correlates of post traumatic epilepsy. (ICMR, New Delhi)
1) ELISA in the Assessment of Therapeutic Response in Neurocysticercosis. (IndiaCLEN- USAID project)
2) Fingerprinting of causative bacteria in bacteria in brain abscess using different Magnetic Resonance techniques in humans and animal models. (ICMR, New Delhi)
3) Immunohistochemical expression of P53 in Human CNS Malignancies. (Department of Science &Technology, New Delhi)
4) An evaluation of ELISA in the diagnosis and follow-up of Neurocysticercosis. (UP Council of Science Technology, Lucknow)
5) Immunoblot Analysis of Cysticercus fasciolaris antigen in the diagnosis of Neurocysticercosis. (Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi)
6) National Coordinator: CRASH-Trial Corticosteroid randomization after significant head injury Multicentric International placebo controlled double blind clinical trial to asses the role of high dose methylprednisolone in the outcome of head injury patients. Conducted by London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, (Medical Research Council UK)
- Unusual Craniofacial clefts.- SKULL BASE CON ’98, Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi - Sept. 25-27th. 1998.
- Dilemmas – Posterior decompression in OPLL.- FIRST INTERNATIONAL CLINIC OF NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY (Indo-Canadian Symposium), G.B. Pant Hospital, New Delhi. - October 18-20th. 2000.
- Endoscopic Surgery of Intraventricular lesions - NEUROENDOSCOPY-WORKSHOP, St. Stephen’s Hospital, New Delhi.- May 13-14th. 2000.
- Posterior Fossa Ependymomas - SECOND INTERNATIONAL CLINIC OF NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY- G.B. Pant, Hospital, New Delhi.- Sept.,24-26th. 2001.
- Endoscopic Repair of CSF Rhinorrhea - 11th ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF U P NEUROSCIENCE SOCIETY, S G P G I M S, Lucknow. -- Feb. 11th. 2002.
- Endoscopic Assistance in Aneurysmal Surgery - THIRD INTERNATIONAL CLINIC OF NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY, G.B.Pant Hospital, New Delhi.- October, 24th. 2002.
- Management of High Cervical spine injury - INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP - ACUTE SPINAL INJURY MANAGEMENT, Indian Spinal injury center, New Delhi. - Nov.21-24th. 2002.
- Endoscopic neurosurgery –Scope and Limitations.(Presidential Oration)- 12th ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF U P NEUROSCIENCE SOCIETY, Kanpur, U.P. Feb.9th. 2003.
- Endoscopic repair of traumatic CSF rhinorrhea - 13th. ANNUAL NATIONAL NEUROTRAUMA CONFERECNCE, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, August 20 -22nd. 2004.
- Endoscopic assisted neurosurgery - CME lecture- 53rd. ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF NEUROLOGICAL SOCIETY OF INDIA, Indore, M.P. --Dec.16th. 2004.
- Endoscopic Neurosurgery- Technique and Application - Minimal Invasive neurosurgery symposium—54th ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF NEUROLOGICAL SOCIETY OF INDIA, Vishakhapatnam, A.P. - Dec. 16th. 2005.
- Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy – 10th ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF NEUROLOGICAL SOCIETY-MP, Jabalpur, M.P. Oct. 2005.
- Endoscopic transoral Odontoidectomy / Development of endoscopic instruments.-- Endoscopic neurosurgery session-breakfast seminar.55th ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF NEUROLOGICAL SOCIETY OF INDIA, Madurai, Tamil Nadu- Dec. 22nd. 2006.
- Endoscopic management of craniopharyngiomas.- 4th SOUTH ASIAN NEUROSURGICAL CONGRESS, New Delhi --Feb 15th. -18th. 2007
- Endoscopic surgery of CV junction / Endoscopic approach to skull base-PARK CLINIC UPDATE, Kolkata, W.B. - March 17th.-18th., 2007.
- Endoscopy in neurosurgery- CME NEUROSURGERY, Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Srinagar, J & K.- May 19th.. 2007.
- Endoscopic pituitary surgery- ANECON, Ranchi, Oct.24-25th. 2007.
- Endoscopic third ventriculostomy-indications & technique. - 18th ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF INDIAN SOCIETY FOR PEDIATRIC NEUROSURGERY, PGI Chandigarh. Nov. 2-4th.2007.
- Intraventricular endoscopic surgery of tumors- NEURO-ONCOLOGY UPDATE, Fortis Hospital, NOIDA, Dec.12-13th. 2007.
- Endoscopic resection of colloid cyst – CME lecture, 56th ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF NEUROLOGICAL SOCIETY OF INDIA, Agra.- Dec. 14th . 2007.
- Role of endoscope in caudal cranial base surgery, -- Joe V Desa Oration--33rd. ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF NEUROOTOLOGIC & EQUILIBRIOMATIC SOCIETY OF INDIA- New Delhi. April 18, 2009
- Cranial manifestations of tuberculosis,--Annnual meeting of congress of neurological surgeons at New Orleans, U.S.A.- Oct. 2009
Invited operative demonstration:
1.Endoscopic Lumbar discectomy and Percutaneus Vertebroplasty -- FOURTH INTERNATIONAL CLINIC OF NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY G.B. Pant Hospital, New Delhi. - October, 9-11th., 2003.
2.Endoscopic repair of traumatic CSF rhinorrhea--13th. ANNUAL NATIONAL NEUROTRAUMA CONFERECNCE Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab. India -. August 20 -22nd 2004.
3.Endoscopic third ventriculostomy – 10th Annual conference of M.P. NEUROSCIENCE SOCIETY, Jabalpur, M.P. Oct. 2005.
4.Endoscopic transoral odontoidectomy and Endoscopic biopsy of posterior 3rd. ventricular tumor - PARK CLINIC UPDATE, Kolkata, W.B.- March 17th.-18th., 2007.
5.Endonasal endoscopic excision of pituitary adenoma and ETV with endoscopic biopsy of pineal tumor – Workshop and 4th.international conference, Uttara Medical Collrge, Dhaka, Bangladesh. March 1st.-3rd., 20008.
International Conference Participation:
1. IXth World Congress of Neurosurgery, New Delhi, India.-Dec., 1989.
2. XIth World Congress of Neurosurgery; Amsterdam, Netherlands—July 1997.
3. XIIth World Congress of Neurosurgery, Sydney, Australia—Sept., 2001.
4. Third South Asian Congress of Neurosurgery, Karachi, Pakistan. –April,2005
5. Congress Neurological Surgeons,. Chicago, USA, Oct. 2006
6. Fourth South Asian Congress of Neurosurgery, New Delhi, Feb ,2007
7. Congress Neurological Surgeons,. New Orleans, USA, Oct.
1.M.Husain, D.K.Vatsal,--OPLL—Posterior decompression. In Indian Clinical Neurosurgery, vol.-1, 2001, CBS publishers & distributors, New Delhi.
2.M.Husain, D.K.Vatsal,--Posterior fossa ependymoma. In Indian Clinical Neurosurgery, vol-2, 2002, CBS publishers & distributors, New Delhi.
3.M.Husain,--Endoscopic Assisted Neurosurgery In Progress in clinical neurosciences, vol.-19, pp.197-203, 2004, publisher-Neurological Society of India.
4.M.Husain,--Endoscopic excision of colloid cysts of third ventricle. In Progress in clinical neurosciences, vol.-22, pp.306-315, 2007, publisher-Neurological Society of India.