Find a leadership role with an entrepreneurial organization who wants to build deeper consumer connection via the digital role.
Passionate leader with a creative approach to problem solving and strategic planning. Senior executive with 20+ years of marketing and general management experience in a variety of industries including; packaged goods, online/web, e-commerce, movie entertainment, console videogames and broadcasting. Proven brand builder who consistently delivers outstanding top and bottom line results. Consummate team player with a natural ability to build and nurture a motivational and dynamic work environment.
Nov 2009 - Jan 2011
Reporting to Yahoo! Global marketing organization, responsible to lead all B2C & B2B product and marketing strategies that will deliver accelerated revenue, lead generation, traffic, and engagement growth. Leverage quantitative results to develop B2B strategies that connect the 17 million Canadians on Yahoo! with advertisers’ business objectives. Ensure consistency and relevancy of message with savvy Canadian web users to ensure that Y! Canada is at the centre of their web experiences.
- Developed and successfully presented to U.S Senior Management the 2010 & 2011 strategic plans with core objectives to drive double digit traffic/audience and engagement growth on key Yahoo! Canada properties. Core elements included high impact placement on top online properties, social media, search, email, experiential marketing, PR, brand advertising.
- Lead B2B go to market strategies that enhance Y!'s value proposition for industry leading display/search advertising products, as well as sophisticated audience targeting to marketers and advertisers. Successfully executed 3 thought leadership events with 300+ participants. Key driver in gaining Yahoo! unfair share of ad spend.
- Lead B2C & B2B Yahoo! Mobile marketing activities, doubling traffic on Y! mobile via content partnership and new product integration with PC.
- Re-positioned Yahoo! traffic acquisition strategies, by negotiating, evaluating and executing the online media buy without an agency in order to maximize savings and optimize media campaign. Integrated content placement has delivered a material +5% lift in unique visitor traffic.
- Launched new B2C & B2B Social Media efforts, via Facebook & Twitter, doubling fan base every month.
- Championed Yahoo! Sports dedicated Vancouver 2010 Olympic site, to record level traffic via online and experiential Live Site (Yahoo! Fancouver)
Aug 2005 - Apr 2009
Responsible for leading the development of core brand/business strategies driving revenue, earnings and brand engagement for each business line: Workopolis.com, Resume Database and Campus. Executive sponsor charged with developing the long term strategic plans, communication platform, pricing, new product innovation and high impact offline and online partnerships (VANOC, MSN). Reported to the President, part of Senior Management team. Reengineered the marketing team to assert online category leadership, responsible to hire, train and mentor a team of 12.
- Developed fully integrated B2C/B off-line and online programs driving online recruiting category leadership, making Workopolis the 10th most visited Canadian based website property.
- Responsible for driving double digit growth for Workopolis key performance metrics such as revenue (CAGR +33%), profit (+33% YOY), traffic (from 2.1million to 3.6 million unique visitors/month) and awareness (Unaided 25% to 44% and Aided from 70% to 91%) in all regions over the last 4 fiscal years.
- Restructured the organization around metric/data measurements to make timely fact based decisions via best of breed web analytics applications Omniture and Business Object.
- Integrated all cross departmental market research (Senior Management, Tech, Sales, and Operations & Creative) to ensure ongoing strategic direction and plan long term innovation and base product improvements.
- Lead the ongoing development of creative strategy at the most senior level (Workopolis’ Board of Directors & Senior Management Team), combining brand strategy, marketing communications, interface site design and creative content development expertise. Managed and negotiated yearly service agreements with external agencies.
- Oversaw Workopolis’ new products/features with the support of the brand and development teams to launch such products as Mobile platform, countless employer branding tools, B2B lead generation.
- Executive sponsor including new site redesign/architecture, launched Oct 2008, new ecommerce platform that ensured increased lead generation, conversion and revenue.
- Negotiated high impact business building sponsorships with the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Committee and online portal agreements with MSN/Sympatico, Google, Yahoo and The Weather Network.
- Established SEO/M metrics evaluation ensuring a +170% ROI delivery on Google, Yahoo and MSN Ad campaigns.
- Launched and monetized Workopolis’ direct marketing business (email, newsletter, alerts, and telesales) driving incremental B2B leads and revenue generation.
Aug 2002 - Aug 2005
Sr. Marketing Manager
Championed and developed core brand strategies, related to TV Advertising creative/media, new product development, consumer research, volume, P&L, strat & marketing plans, pricing and trade execution. Managed two Assistant Marketing Managers.
- Delivered 3 consecutive years of double target volume, NSV and O/I results versus objectives on Heinz Ketchup, driving the category (+$120milion in sales) to grow +2.5% for a 3rd straight year. Heinz brand grew volume FY03: +4% and FY04+5% VYA, and +3% in FY05. Profit O/I FY03:+4% and FY04:+11% VYA and +8% in FY05.
- Lead the FY04/05 and FY06 Strategic and Marketing plan processes. Synthesized market/brand/consumer analysis, identifying the 3 key business levers around core user groups (H/M/L), to expand Heinz’ exclusive share of requirements.
- Developed all marketing strategies and tactics, delivering record (ACN) market shares of dollar and tonnage (+3.2pts)
- Created the FY03/04/05 media plan and guidelines to ensure optimal buy against target market Moms with young kids.
- Lead the creative development of Heinz Ketchup TV creative to replace the category/brand building “Duck” execution.
- Innovation champion; wrote, tested and developed new product concepts. Managed the Canadian Easy Squeeze Launch team, on track to far exceed sales and profit target by 50%.
- Initiated consumer research to develop insights and subsequently developed the plan to increase usage frequency and volume, via a Canadian specific recipe dissemination program. Launched the Heinzitup.com web site in July 2004.
- Implemented two price increases of +5% on Ketchup in 2002 and 2004. Re-engineered new pricing/promotional strategies to drive increased profit via deal spend optimization. Grew tonnage and dollar share +1.4pts after each new price increase
Mar 2001 - Aug 2002
Sr. Manager Direct Acquisition
Developed strategies and implementation plans to cost effectively acquire new digital satellite TV subscribers. Lead and supervised the database marketing team. Created new channels of distribution to sell on via web and call centers. Managed 3 direct reports.
- Grew direct acquisition channels from 2% to 5% of total sales in 2001 and exceeded 12% in 2002. Drove subscriber base growth from 750,000 to 1.2 million customers.
- Developed strategic roll-out plan for selling Satellite/ExpressVu products via 310-Bell Canada Call Centres (3000 CSR’s).
- Developed 4 convergence bundle offers with Sympatico and Mobility delivering 2000 new activations.
- Developed copy & creative direction for 3 direct mail campaigns for the launch of 40 new digital channels and the PVR.
- Championed ethno-targeted initiative, doubling Chinese subscribers via targeted TV/Print advertising and retail activities.
Oct 1999 - Jan 2001
Product Marketing Manager
Responsible for EA SPORTS’ worldwide hockey Franchise with annual sales in excess of $50 million/year. Managed over 10 cross-functional teams including game development, creative, sales, retail and international divisions to develop the strategic launch platforms for PC, PlayStation and PlayStation 2.
- Returned NHL Hockey franchise to double-digit revenue and profit growth (+19%) in FY01, driving EA SPORTS shares to a commanding 66% (+2 share points VYA) on PlayStation and 97% (+3 share points VYA) on PC.
- Re-positioned two new EA products. NHL 2001 from “physical/aggressive” to “skills/emotions”.
- Created worldwide advertising briefs and drove the development of print, TV, Internet and web site executions.
- Worked closely with the development team to provide consumer POV on game design. Distilled the technical product vision into consumer terms. Empowered the team to deliver unique visual “assets” for use in all marketing communication.
- Negotiated with SONY incremental marketing funds to feature NHL on their PS2 launch in TV, demo and retail support.
- Built and managed relationship with key partners NHL, NHLPA and player agents (Owen Nolan, Jere Lehtinen). Negotiated contracts with the league and PA. Developed joint marketing/retail programs, web communities and trial site.
- Oversaw the European launch plan for NHL 2001. Presented Strategic plan to over 1000 Nordic press and retailers
Oct 1995 - Oct 1999
Walt Disney Company
Managed Walt Disney’s Home Video sell-through business. Managed cross-functional teams (creative, sales, ops, merchandising) to develop or localize programming, advertising, packaging and creative material for the trade and consumers. Hired, trained and managed four employees.
- Delivered double-digit revenue and profit growth (+40% in FY96, +30% in FY97, and +15% in FY98), driving Canada’s share of N.A. volume from 7.5% to 10%.
- Developed launch plans for the release of 14 Disney animated classics, 1000 live action titles, designing multi-level marketing campaigns.
- Wrote the go-to market plan and launched Disney’s sell through and rental DVD business in Canada.
- Managed advertising media spending of $4 million per year.
- Developed 15 Canadian specific ad campaigns including TV and Radio commercials, print and Out of Home.
Jun 1990 - Oct 1995
Campbell Soup Canada
Marketing Manager - Pepperidge Farm/Swanson Frozen Dinners/Soups
Managed Pepperidge Farm frozen pastry and cake businesses with annual sales in excess of $10 million.