- Experienced market and credit risk business analyst and subject matter expert with a record of successful strategic software development and implementation projects over 25 years
- Hands on experience of implementing risk processes and systems in different buy- and sell-side contexts including trading, pricing, market and credit risk, limits, value at risk (VaR), expected positive exposure (EPE) and capital
- Played leading roles in several market and credit risk internal regulatory capital model projects both in developing the model itself and supporting qualitative conditions
- Broad financial industry knowledge across a variety of financial instruments and asset classes in capital markets and asset management, front and middle office
- Experience of both in-house software development and as a buyer and vendor of commercial software and professional services
Mar 1996 - Present
SFA General Representative
Oct 1999 - Present
Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
Jul 2000 - Present
Investment Administration Qualification (IAQ)
May 2001 - Present
Investment Management Certificate (IMC)
CFA Society UK
Feb 2004 - Present
Professional Risk Manager (PRM)
Fluent in English, German and French
Dec 2014 - Present
Director, Senior Business Analyst
- Senior business analyst on market risk, credit risk, and capital aggregation and reporting systems.
- Ensure compliance with regulation BCBS 239 on risk data aggregation and risk reporting.
Jan 2014 - Dec 2014
Deputy Head of Risk Regulatory Implementation
- Ensure regulatory compliance of product and legal entity extensions to internal regulatory capital models for market risk and counterparty credit risk, including supporting requirements for backtesting and model validation
- Verify the remediation and closure of outstanding audit and regulatory issues linked to market and counterparty credit risk capital rules and report progress to auditors and regulators
- Led the implementation of a new software solution to non-modelled market risk capital calculation for options under substantially changed European capital requirements directive (CRD4) rules and supported the application for necessary permissions
Oct 2010 - Dec 2013
Market Risk Business Analyst
- Senior business analyst on the development of FOREST, an award-winning strategic stress testing solution across market risk, counterparty credit risk, prime brokerage and treasury liquidity, using a mixture of sensitivity-based and revaluation methods.
- Specified and supervised development and implementation of scenarios for several risk factors including IR volatility, FX volatility and credit spread.
- Specified and supervised development of trade-level sensitivity feeds for repo trades.
- Led the testing and rollout of a bulk upload mechanism for large and complex scenarios defined by group risk economists to meet regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for training junior analysis and development staff in relevant areas of market and counterparty credit risk; and risk managers in the use of IT systems.
- Responsible for liaising with other programmes in market risk and defining and assuring common standards for business analysis, system development and documentation.
Mar 2009 - Oct 2010
Project Manager/Business Analyst
- Project manager and business analyst on the rollout of new strategic market risk VaR, stress and sensitivity calculation and aggregation engines and the demise of several local legacy market risk systems as part of a larger risk infrastructure renewal programme.
- Managed changes to the calculation engine vendor product to meet HSBC requirements, including the inclusion of new instrument pricing models.
- Successfully led the implementation of a pilot market risk calculation project for London rates business, which went live pending regulatory approval.
- Planned and managed the start and requirements definition phase of the Paris market risk replacement project including the outline design of both tactical and strategic solutions.
- Analysing requirements for the aggregation phase of the project, including procedures and workflows.
Jul 2007 - Dec 2008
Director, Market Insights, Institutional Asset Management
- Evaluated competing and complementary companies to our business and made recommendations, with reasons, to acquire, partner, avoid or defeat.
- Monitored and analysed trends in asset management and technology and their likely impact and wrote and spoke about them internally and externally.
- Organised workshops with key clients and prospects to evaluate unclear or complex requirements and proposed solutions, resulting in short listing and completed sales.
- Worked with other SunGard businesses on new opportunities for our products in their markets and vice versa.
- Monitored multiple projects at a large client and intervened where necessary to secure the success of the projects and stability of the client relationship.
Jan 2006 - Jul 2007
Managing Director, Prime Brokerage, Enterprise Solutions
- Co-ordinated product management of SunGard's solutions for Prime Brokers across 15-20 key SunGard products, particularly cross-product margin and risk.
- Met regularly with senior contacts at prime brokers to explain our strategy and hear theirs.
- Presented SunGard's product architecture and potential solutions to clients and prospects resulting in sales leads and completed sales.
- Identified new solutions, markets and cross-selling opportunities based on combining existing products and components from different SunGard businesses.
- Advised senior SunGard management on potential acquisitions and partnerships.
Sep 2004 - Jan 2006
Director, Solutions Management, Global Accounts
- Designed, delivered and monitored solutions for SunGard's largest global accounts in Europe, in collaboration with several SunGard business units.
- Monitored existing relationships and sales opportunities for relevant accounts.
- Produced and delivered strategy presentations to key clients that produced significant sales leads and completed sales
- Successfully exceeded sales targets for 2004 and 2005.
- Intervened in a failing project at a key client and coached the relevant SunGard business to put in controls to shore up the project and improve their development process. Subsequently assisted in two further successful major sales to the same client.
Jul 2002 - Sep 2004
Development Manager, Market Risk
- Managed a team of 15 business analysts, developers and testers working on SunGard's flagship market risk product, Panorama (now Adaptiv 360).
- Planned market risk product strategy jointly with US-based product manager, including ensuring that all major developments were in line with that strategy.
- Simultaneously managed two 600 person-day USD 1M strategic client-led and funded C++ developments in simulation market risk VaR and P&L decomposition for key clients alongside day-to-day product support and maintenance, including redeveloping several key functional areas of the product to remove duplicate and obsolete functionality, reducing maintenance costs.
Apr 2000 - Jul 2002
Assistant Director, COO, Schroder Hedge Funds
- Managed all aspects of risk, operations and technology for Schroders' range of two single strategy and two funds of hedge funds from their initial creation.
- Designed, built and implemented a complete risk, operations and IT infrastructure for Schroder Hedge Funds capable of supporting a wide range of assets including emerging market equities and complex equity derivatives and global distressed bonds and debt, separate from the main Schroder Investment Management business.
- Liaised with internal and external suppliers including fund administrators, prime brokers, custodians and software suppliers, including the launch of new funds, ensuring successful launches and smooth operation.
- Made risk and operations due diligence visits to potential hedge fund investments and wrote due diligence reports on behalf of the fund of hedge funds business, including recommendations to invest or not based on operational and other risk judgements.
- Presented Schroders risk and operational policies to and hosted due diligence visits by potential investors in Schroders' single strategy funds, several of which subsequently invested.
- Recruited, trained and managed risk and operations staff to support the hedge fund business.
- Set up and negotiated ISDA and other netting and collateral agreements with several counterparties on more favourable terms than they usually offered and created systems and procedures to support these agreements on a daily basis.
Jun 1995 - Apr 2000
Assistant Director, Head of Group Risk Systems
- Installed, extended and maintained global risk management systems and London-based derivative trading and risk management systems, including market risk VaR and stress and credit risk exposure for capital adequacy and regulatory reporting.
- Project managed various developments up to 1900 person-days and GBP 1.4M on interest rate and FX derivative trading and risk management systems.
- Managed two teams of 10 business analysts, developers and testers and liaison with project and business stakeholders.
- Undertook both business analysis and technical design on several projects with particular emphasis on the quantitative aspects of the system.
- Maintained ongoing development of the highly successful Group Risk Consolidation System (GRCS) to calculate and report daily close of business market risk, credit risk and regulatory capital for the Schroder investment banking business globally.
- Successfully completed a Y2K compliance and upgrade project on time while still delivering significant improvements to the GRCS.
Dec 1991 - Jun 1995
Senior Analyst Programmer
- Designed and developed of a number of key cross-product systems
- Designed the database for, and managed the support and operation of, the Trades Analysis System, a value-at-risk-based market and counterparty credit risk system.
- Designed and developed the Global Reference Database, a custom-built central repository of counterparty and static data replicated to several other trading and settlement systems in NatWest.
- Surveyed and collated information on all quantitative analytic software in use in NatWest Markets and created a Global Analytics Library, a collection of portable front and middle office analytics software based on the best components found in the survey.
- Started with County NatWest as a PC and Macintosh support analyst and progressed through a variety of projects to become a senior analyst programmer.
- Participated in design, development and maintenance of the Customer Contact System a compliance-sensitive global client contact and conflict of interest management system.
Sep 1989 - Dec 1991
- Sold, designed, developed and supported a series of small to medium sized client-server database systems for large and small UK companies.
Horse riding, mountain biking, kite flying and playing music