Mark Lack

Work History

Work History
Sep 2010 - Present

Retail Operations Director

The Sultan Center (Safeway) Jordan

The first and largest modern retailer in the Kingdom of Jordan comprising a multi-format (Hyper, Super, Wholesale, Neighborhood, Forecourt) customer offering across the country.

Scope of responsibility:

Development of the business alongside the local CEO to extend the company's market share and maintain its number 1 position across the country through implementation of world class operational standards.


Designed and implementing the strategic actions for change across the whole business.

Increased sales from negative 20% to positive 10%, despite increasing competition.

Improved audit results by 62% and 74% and was judged as best country for operational compliance.

Improved product availability from low 60% to low 90% despite supplier service levels of 75%.

Reduced employee turnover by 33% working across functions to improve employee morale, recruitment techniques, and introduced training and development initiatives.

Improved shrinkage from 2.1% to 0.72%

Improved cash flow through reducing stock holding from average 71 days to 39 days.

Introduced new documentation for due diligence and check lists for all departments.

Nov 2008 - Feb 2010

COO / Senior Director - Operations

Makro-Habib Pakistan Ltd.

The number 1 trading and manufacturing conglomerate of its type in Pakistan operating in a number of business areas including automobiles, chemicals, construction, retail and financial.

Scope of responsibility:

Development of the 1st of its type, Retail and Cash & Carry business advising the local CEO, local Senior Director – Commercial, local CFO and local shareholders to build 30 hybrid hypermarket / wholesale market / shopping malls over a 4 year period. Directly manage the workforce of over 1,500 personnel.


Developed and implemented the format strategy, vision and mission for the total business, including dissemination to all stakeholders of the organisation.

Decreased costs by 10% focusing on efficiencies in establishment costs (energy, waste, facilities).

Improved cash flow through reduction in stock holding levels by 30% and increased availability by 20%.

Designed and implemented new layouts in stores and changed the assortment to reflect local market conditions and consumer spending habits.

Developed and implemented the growth strategy including new sites acquisition, development and realisation.

Improved the marketing function by building or recruiting specialists in customer insight, media management, mystery shopper and data analysis.

Designed and delivered 6 training courses to whole organisation, cross functionally to include – assortment building, store operations, negotiations, food safety, project management, health and safety.

Successfully introduced a number of SOP’s and due diligence documentation to the store operations.

Sep 2005 - Jul 2008

Operations Director / Managing Director

Metro Group AG

Scope of responsibility:

Turnover - £1.1 billion, 6500 people (10 direct reports).

Support departments: Loss Prevention, Operational Supply Chain and Stocks Management, In-store Restaurants, Store Operations Field Managers, Facilities Management (all properties), Construction, Customer Services.


Implemented Metro C&C worldwide standards to several key “destination” departments.

Increased sales by 30% in the targeted customer development group - C-Stores

Reduced shrinkage and markdowns across food, non food and fresh foods by 30%.

Reduced stock holding by 8% overall and improved availability from 89% to 97%.

Reduced absence, improved retention and reduced employee turnover to below UK industry averages.

Completed 3 £10 million plus store refurbishments on time and within budget constraints.

Improved audit compliance by 10%.

Completed the employee engagement survey with 97.4% staff participation.

For Metro, approximately 10% of my time was as part of the International “House of Training” department and three competency committees (Operations, Customer, and Merchandising) that advised the business on the strategy and best practice for implementation across the 600 plus stores and 72,000 employees in 28 countries.



People Management

Business Strategy

Process Improvement

Change Management

Team Building

Operations Management