Marcellars L. Mason, Ed.D.
2119 Autumn Fern Dr.
Katy, Texas 77450
Home (281) 579-1139 Cell (713) 201-3851
April 6, 2009
Corporate OfficeHeidrick & Struggles International, Inc.233 South Wacker DriveSears Tower - Suite 4200Chicago, IL 60606-6303
It has come to my attention that the Heidrick & Struggles seeking to fill the vacancy of Superintendent. I see myself as the leader responsible for setting a powerful vision for student achievement and motivating others to follow that vision, and strategically implementing the school’s mission through effective leadership and management of the school’s students and staff. My leadership will result in an instructional program and school environment that prepares every student for success in college and in life.
I would like to formally submit my name to be included among those who desire a leadership position and would therefore request that you review my resume in order to become familiar with my credentials and qualifications upon which I conclude that you will echo the sentiments that I Can and Will get the job done. I believe that Comprehensive school reform of the core curricular areas of Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Social Studies and Technology are the pathways our Students will Take into the New Millennium. I see the your organization as a Professional Learning Community where “Teamwork Makes The Dream Work” as we Work On The Work Of Building Capacity in Teachers to Enhance Student Success by focusing on Teaching, Learning, and Relationship Building.
I am an Excellent Candidate with a strong focus on students (not politics) and a desire to build strong relationships that prioritize on meeting the needs of educationally disadvantaged students. My experience in organizational structure and people leadership skills gives me the understanding of what makes schools succeed/fail, and also prepared me to build strong classroom environments and positive school culture. I have the ability to drive classroom and school change, build strong relationships, and influence/lead others. I’m aware of own strengths and weaknesses, and I work relentlessly to improve upon them by being open to feedback, accepting blame for failures, showing balance in confidence vs. humility, and behaving professionally.
Enclosed is a copy of my resume to assist you in understanding my qualifications. A copy of my mid-management certificate and other job related credentials can be provided for verification and validation as needed. I look forward to the opportunity of meeting with you to discuss the ways that I can continue to serve the educational community.
Marcellars L. Mason, Ed.D
Marcellars L. Mason, Ed.D
2119 Autumn Fern Drive
Katy, Texas 77450
(281) 579-1139 Hm
(713) 201-3851 Cell
Married with 3 children Height: 5’11” Weight: 220.
To facilitate student academic achievement and growth within the field of education with emphasis on comprehensive school reform through the use of Professional Learning Communities.
- Aspiring Superintendents Academy, Region IV ESC. Fall 2008 – Spring 2009.
- Doctorate Degree Texas Southern University “Educational Administration” Conferred May 10, 2008. Houston, Texas 77004. G.P.A. 3.77. Dissertation Title: The Influence Of Selected Academic, Demographic, And Instructional Program Related Factors On High School Student Dropout Rates.
- Mid-Management Certification Conferred Spring 1994. Prairie View A & M University. Prairie View, Texas 77446. G.P.A. 3.83.
- M.S.E. Degree “Educational Administration” Conferred August 15, 1985. Arkansas State University. State University, Arkansas 72467. G.P.A. 3.50.
- B.S. Degree “Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance” Conferred May 19,1984. Mississippi Valley State University. Itta Bena, Mississippi 38941. G.P.A. 2.97.
- (PDAS) Professional Development Appraisal System. Region IV Education Service Center June 1997.
- Permanent Mid-ManagementCertificate. Prairie View A & M University Spring 1994.
- (TTAS) Texas Teacher Appraisal System. Region IV Education Service Center Fall 1991.
- Temporary Mid-Management Certification (5 years exp. date 2/96). Texas Southern University.
- Physical Education K-12 “Life” Texas Education Agency.
- Physical Education K-12 “Life” Missouri Education Agency.
- 8/07 – Present: Assistant Principal. Houston Independent School District. Bellaire High School 5100 Maple Bellaire, Texas 77401.
- 10/05 – 8/07: Principal. Houston Independent School District. Sterling High School 11623 Martindale Houston, Texas 77048.
- 10/01 – 10/05: Principal. Houston Independent School District. Alcott Elementary School 5859 Bellfort. Houston, Texas 77033.
- 7/00 – 1/02: Part-TimeCampus Coordinator. Houston Community College System. South East College, Houston, Texas. Duties: To facilitate campus operations in the evenings overseeing student services, instructional facility assignments, resolution of conflicts and disputes.
- 8/99 – 10/01: Assistant Principal. Houston Independent School District. Burbank Middle School 315 Berry Rd. Houston, Texas 77022.
- 8/97 – 8/99: Assistant Principal. Houston Independent School District. Sam Houston High School 9400 Irvington. Houston, Texas 77028.
- 8/96 - 8/97: Assistant Principal. Houston Independent School District. The Rice School/La Escuela Rice 7550 Suess Dr. Houston, Texas 77025.
- 8/91 - 8/96: Eighth Grade Principal. Houston Independent School District. Woodson Middle School. 10720 Southview Houston, Texas 77047.
- 8/90 - 6/91: Curriculum Writer. Houston Independent School District. Houston, Texas. Duties: Development of the “Project Access” Health Curriculum Guides K-8 using Macintosh computer systems.
- 8/85 - 8/91: Teacher. Houston Independent School District. Kolter Elementary School. Houston, Texas.
- 8/84 - 8/85: Graduate Assistant. Arkansas State University. Jonesboro, Arkansas. Duties: Research Assistant. Voluntary Administrative Internship “Jonesboro High School”.
- I am a member of Brookhollow Baptist Church (TCWW) active member of Joshua’s Men Discipleship Ministry.
- I served as President of the Highland Trails Homeowners Association.
- Precinct 619 Delegate 2007-2008.
- Vice-President for Public Relations 2006-2007 Houston Association for School Administrators Executive Board Member (HASA).
- 1st Place Winner of Student Oral Presentations TSU Research Week 2005
- Houston Association for School Administrators (HASA) member 1991 - Present.
- National Association of Black School Educators (NABSE).
- Houston Area Alliance of Black School Educators (HAABSE).
- Phi Delta Kappa Fraternity member TSU Chapter.
- President and 1st Vice President of “HAPE” Houston Association for Physical Education.
- Teacher of the Year 1988-89.
- Outstanding Young Men of America 1988.
- Graduate Assistantship “Arkansas State University”.
- Who’s Who Among American Universities and Colleges 1984.
- Full five-year Music Scholarship to Mississippi Valley State University 1979-84.
- MVSU Honor Roll last four semesters.
- President, Vice President and Treasurer of Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity.
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated.
- F. & A. M. Prince Hall Mason.
- Vice President MVSU Houston Alumni Chapter.
Gardening, yard work and playing the Trumpet and Soprano bugle are some of my hobbies. I also enjoy racquetball, tennis, swimming, soccer, football, baseball, basketball and wrestling. I especially enjoy working with children in these activities.
Available upon request