I am a hard-working, highly motivated public relations professional with experience in all aspects of communication. I am seeking to obtain a position that provides me with the opportunity to use the skills that I have acquired throughout past experiences to pursue a successful career within the public relations industry.
Sep 2004 - Present
Communications Coordinator/Sales Representative
- Working in a part time capacity, duties include but are not limited to: event planning, communication coordination, public and media relations, customer service, clerical and accounts coordination
- Responsible for the development and creation of company press releases, newsletters, and web content
- Company blogger and social media coordinator
Jan 2011 - Jan 2012
- Responsible for the coordination of several high profile, large scale; community-based events hosted by the Municipality. Events include: The Heart & Stroke Big Bike, Richvale Athletic Park Open, 18th Annual Mayor's Charity Golf Tournament, Canada Day's Teen Zone, 37th Annual Concerts in the Park Series and the 2011 Santa Claus Parade
- Provide supervision to part time staff and volunteers to events, including assigning and overseeing work.
- Department contact person for special event committees, community groups and news media
- Responsible for the coordination of all activities associated with the production of events including planning, scheduling, budgeting, crisis and issues management assessment, promotion, fundraising, sponsorships, media and public relations, political liaison, protocols and evaluation.
Jan 2011 - Apr 2011
Events Services Intern
- Responsible for providing event planning assistance to the Event Services Team
- Provide support on event marketing initiatives and day-to-day business functions
- Assist in the planning and execution of Sport Champion Awards, Volunteer Achievement Awards and the Volunteer Appreciation Awards
Jul 2010 - Aug 2010
Special Events Summer Intern
Schools Without Borders
- Successfully helped to plan and execute variety of company events: tasks included researching and booking venues, creating schedules, inviting speakers, coordinating sponsors, booking travel and accommodations and ordering catering
- Created and updated company media list, responsible for pitching and inviting press to events
Dec 2009 - Apr 2010
Vice-Chair: Student Appreciation Banquet
- Planned and prepared 2010 Student Appreciation Banquet Proposal
- Pitched proposal to professors and clients
- Efficiently created weekly critical paths to present to clients at executive meetings
- Assisted in the execution, planning, décor, logistics, food and beverage and on-site production
Sep 2008 - Present
Advanced Public Relations Diploma Student
- Finalist in Optimum Creativity Challenge - A team project which consisted of creating an e-pitch, media mailer, power point presentation and media list (created by Media Net Central)
- Vice-Chair for Humber's 2010 Student Appreciation Banquet
- Dean's List: 2008-2011
Oct 2011 - Oct 2011
Event Planning/Event Management
Familiar with the co-ordination of both small and large; high-profile events. Working knowledge of all activities associated with the production of events including planning, scheduling, budgeting, risk management assessment, volunteer coordination, promotion, fundraising, sponsorships, media and public relations
Proficient in Social Media including: Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Wordpress
Throughout my both education and work experiences, I was required to continuously present under both prepared and unprepared circumstances. I feel that I have truly developed excellent public speaking skills that help me to present clearly and effectively.
Familiar with Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel. I also have used programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Quarks, QuarksExpress and InDesign
Writing and Editing Skills
I am continuously exercising and expanding on my writing skills. I have had practice writing press releases, newsletters, features, speeches, biographies, and much more.