To use my creativity, skills and talents in marketing, communication, training and administration to benefit the public.
California State University, Northridge
Santa Barbara City College
Jun 2010 - Present
Administrative Office Professional III
Santa Barbara County Dept. of Social Services
- Join a new team sharing all admin/exec branch support functions. Cross-train co-workers. Plan, organize, and manage a variety of projects and duties, meeting multiple and conflicting deadlines.
- Continue duties similar to those described under Departmental Assistant below.
- Identify improvements to business processes and systems to achieve greater efficiency and effectiveness. Make recommendations, predict consequences, persuade stakeholders and implement changes. Examples:
- Responsible for 330-line departmental wireless communication account. Analyzed usage patterns and identified and implemented $18,000 in savings.
- With small team, migrate department from legacy training database to Training Partner (database, self-service interface, learning management system). Customize components, determine information design, and plan reports to meet department's needs. Supervise work of outside consultant. Goal: improved tracking and compliance with training requirements (e.g. for PCI/client privacy, civil rights, and social work).
- Build Excel dashboard to report on motor pool statistics at a glance. Findings justified a multi-department pool consolidation plan to save money, free up parking, and ensure vehicle availability.
2000 - Present
Pitts & Bachmann Realtors
P&B is a high-end realty which has since been bought by Sotheby's.
- Work on flyers, brochures, website, other marketing materials.
Jun 2009 - Jun 2010
C-IV System Instructor & Implementation Coach
- Learn components of 2-month curriculum on this computer application.
- Travel to assigned training locations throughout California.
- Deliver training in instructor-led computer classrooms.
- Be prepared to train any course in any county on short notice.
- Resolve site, system, or personnel issues quickly to achieve goals.
- Provide one-on-one coaching and support in-classroom
- Provide post-implementation support and coaching in small groups and one on one, in counties as assigned.
Nov 2009 - Jan 2010
Implementation Support Lead
- On loan from SolutionsWest, lead the C-IV implementation support team for San Benito County (3-month project).
- Manage support schedule and personnel.
- Liase between Project and County: facilitate and track County's progress on implementation plan and Project's progress on resolving user issues and needs; keep both sides informed daily of latest developments; put improvements in place.
- Provide users with on-site support: answer questions, track unresolved questions and escalate them through help levels until they are resolved.
- Lead or present at daily meetings with county team, support team, all-staff.
- Welcome and guide out-of-county observers, guests, QA staff.
- Collect and utilize feedback per formal process.
- Provide targeted topic training as appropriate.
Oct 2001 - Jun 2009
Santa Barbara County Dept. of Social Services
- Perform classroom training for DSS and Employees University, for groups of up to 60, on topics such as expectations and mandates (orientation, civil rights, anti-harassment etc.), business soft skills (communication, listening skills, conflict resolution, personality styles, giving & receiving feedback, customer service, teamwork, cultural awareness, wellness etc.), business hard skills (report writing, Microsoft applications, CalWIN etc.) and so on.
- Coordinate & support training, including student recruitment & registration, creation of training materials, logistics (e.g. secure venue & equipment, orient presenter) etc.
- Track and report on training, creating spreadsheets & using custom database to report to department and state.
- Operate tuition reimbursement program. Track data to evaluate program and make recommendations.
- Update web pages using a content management system; establish information design for website.
- Problem-solve with discretion and diplomacy, including serving as facilitator and liaison as requested.
- Write, edit, design, lay out and coordinate production of internal and external training and marketing materials such as manuals, newsletters (e.g. Coming Home), public info brochures, Powerpoint presentations, Report to Community, etc. and contribute to production of other such materials (e.g. Charitable Giving Campaign video).
- Various other assignments. Most of my time with the Department has been with Staff Development, as described above. I have also spent brief stints with Systems and Child Welfare Services.
1998 - 2000
Santa Barbara Independent
The Independent is the county's alternative newsweekly.
- Write a column on the local music scene every week.
- Write features articles, reviews, etc. as approved or requested.
- Book and promote the successful "Indy Rocks" weekly concert series.
Letter complimenting Dennis' work product and work style.
Resolution by the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors honoring Dennis Tivey.