Sheila Bliss Duffy, PhD
Resume Addendum - Professional Credentials
- Certified Coach, The Hudson Institute of Santa Barbara
- Associate Certified Coach, International Coach Federation
- Certified Job and Career Transition Coach, Career Planning & Adult Development Network
- National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD), Series 7 license
- Certified Tax Preparer, State of CA
- CA Adult School Teaching Credential, Subject: Business Education
- CA Community College Instructor Credential (Life), Subject: Business and Industrial Management
- Credentialed Adult and Non-Formal Education Instructor, UC Berkeley
- Instructional Process in Vocational Education Certificate, UC Berkeley
- Substitute Teaching Permit, State of CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- Spanish ACTFL 3 Rating (speak, read, and write) Certification
- First Aid/CPR/AED/Wilderness First Aid Certifications, Disaster Assistance Courses, American Red Cross
Ph.D., Agricultural Education,Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Dissertation: An Integrated Regional Systems Model of Rural Family and Community Conditions and Land Use Decisions in the La Amistad Biosphere Reserve Buffer Zone in Costa Rica and Panama.
Certificate: International Agriculture and Resource Management
M.S., International Business,Saint Mary's College, Moraga, CA
B.A., Liberal Arts/Business Administration,Stephens College, Columbia, MO
Curriculum Design & Training
US Peace Corps, Washington, DC
- Five one-day pre-departure orientations in San Francisco and Miami for 175 Peace Corps trainees bound for Nepal, Panama, Mongolia, Kiribati, and Philippines
- Twelve week Micro-enterprise/Small Business Development Pre-Service Training for 15 U.S. Peace Corps trainees in Mali, West Africa
- Twelve-week Small Business Development component of pre-service training for 11 trainees in Lesotho, Southern Africa
- Twelve-week Small Business Development component of pre- service training for 18 trainees in Vladivostok, Russia
Mississippi Consortium For International Development, Jackson, MS
- Two-week Women in Leadership curriculum for 12 Bolivian professional women participating in USAID scholarship program. Taught courses in human resource management and strategic planning.
- Three-week micro-enterprise administration curriculum for 26 Honduran NGO credit officials participating in USAID CAPS/HOPS scholarship program. Taught courses including introduction to small business in the United States, planning, accounting, marketing, feasibility study, budgeting, and financial management.
Texas A&M University-College Station, TX
Adapted existing agribusiness training materials into formal curriculum resulting in 250 page Curriculum Guide and Presentation Materials for Agribusiness Management for use by Russian instructors for Department of Agricultural Economics' USAID-funded Russian-American Agribusiness Training Partnership project.
- Co-Active Coaching Fundamentals, The Coaches Training Institute
- Organization and Relationship Systems Coaching Fundamentals, The Coaches Training Institute
- Advanced Resume Writing, Career Master Institute, Louise Kursmark
- US Peace Corps, CHP, E.A.R.T.H., USAID and Iowa State University - Spanish, cross-culture, project design and management, social change, economic and community development, and pesticide safety training.
- Dean Witter NASD Series 7 Study Course
- H&R Block Basic Income Tax Preparation Course, Walnut Creek, CA
Presentations & Lectures
- Commonwealth Club - Silicon Valley Chapter: "Choose an Extraordinary Life! Live the Life You Imagine" San Jose, CA
- Duffy, S. B., et al., Forging Reciprocal Partnerships to Improve Child Nutrition and Physical Activity. University of California Cooperative Extension, Alameda County Power Play! The California Nutrition Network for Healthy, Active Families. From People to Policy: Empowering Healthy Change. Social Marketing Conference. Sacramento, CA
- Panelist. Community Food Security Assessment Workshop. Community Food Security Coalition. Berkeley, CA
- Port Enhancement Lecturer. Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Radiance of The Seas, Alaska's Inside Passage. "The Economy of Alaska, The Nature and Culture of Alaska, and Glaciation."
- Guest speaker. Sierra Club San Francisco Chapter, "A Delicate Balance: A Case Study of Conservation and Development in Costa Rica and Panama."
- Conditions and Land Use Decisions in the La Amistad Biosphere Reserve Buffer Zone in Costa Rica and Panama: Implications for Extension and Training Services for Buffer Zone Farmers" paper given at 15th Annual Conference of Association for International Agriculture and Extension Education, "Revisiting Extension Before the 21st Century," Trinidad & Tobago, West Indies
- An Integrated Regional Systems Simulation Model of Rural Family and Community Conditions and Land Use Decisions in Buffer Zones" paper given at International Society for Ecological Economics, Fifth Biennial Meeting "Beyond Growth: Institutions and Polices for Sustainability", Santiago, Chile
- Internationalization of Land Grant University Curriculum for a Sustainable Environment," paper given at 14th Annual Conference of Association for International Agriculture and Extension Education, "Participatory Collaboration for a Sustainable Environment." Tucson, AZ
- Speaker - 2nd Annual Sustainable Village Based Development conference in Pune, India
- Duffy, S. B., Fostering Sustainable Development in Rural Costa Rica. Paper given at International Conference on Sustainable Village-Based Development sponsored by Society for International Development and Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Mills College, Oakland, CA. 2003. Guest lecturer in Dr. Margo Okazawa-Rey's Women Re-Defining Security/Community Service Learning undergraduate course, "Improving Health, Nutrition, and Food Security in Alameda County."
San Francisco Community College, San Francisco, CA
Small Business Institute Program courses including "Record Keeping," "Small Business Insurance," "Controlling Your Inventory," "Retail Management," "Finance For Small Business," "Buying A Business Profitably," "Getting The Right Loan," "Finding The Right Location," "The Telephone As A Sales Tool," and "Getting Government Business."
National University,San Jose, CA
Upper division undergraduate course in School of Business and Management - "Financial Management."
Newark Adult School, Newark, CA
Workshops including "Budgeting Your Money: Planning For Your Retirement. Planning For Your Children's College Education. Planning For Buying A House. Planning For Savings And Investments" and "Tax Preparation."
Ohlone College, Fremont, CA
Courses in Business, Banking and Finance Program including "Establishing Investment Objectives," "Characteristics of Savings Investments," "Stock, Bonds and Speculative Investments," "Real Estate and Collectibles," "Timing Investment Decisions," "Tax Aspects of Investments," "Personal Financial Planning," "Cash Management," "Financing Consumer Goods," "Protecting Assets," "Investing For The Future," "Retirement Planning" and "The Stock Market Game."
Chapman College,Vallejo, CA
Upper divisionundergraduate courses - "Macroeconomics" and "Microeconomics."
Lincoln University, San Francisco, CA
Upper division undergraduate course - "Financial Planning."
Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Community Education Program course - "Understanding Investments."
West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Older Adult Program courses including "Financial Planning For Seniors," "Advanced Financial Planning," and "Senior Preparedness."
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Graduate student seminar series in Agricultural Education Department based on Annenberg/CPB "Race to Save The Planet" video series. Taught weekly computer lab to 35 undergraduates.
A Framework for Understanding Food Security, Center for Weight and Health, University of California, Berkeley.
Ganapathy, S., Duffy, S.B. and Getz, C. (2004)
Building Food Security in California Communities. Newsletter of California Certified Organic Farmers. Duffy, S.B., Kurzweil, J., and Masch, M. Volume XIX, Number 1, Spring 2002: 6-7
Ecoregion-Based Priority Setting. Publication in Biodiversity Support Program Analysis and Adaptive Management Program Series
Duffy, S. B., (2001) Unpublished.
Modelling Land Use Decisions in the La Amistad Biosphere Reserve Buffer Zone: Implications for Agroecosystem Management. Chapter in edited volume on La Amistad Conservation and Development Initiative.
Duffy, S. B., (2001). Unpublished.
Stimulating Land-Use in the La Amistand Biosphere Reserve in Costa Rica and Panama. Ecological Modelling, special issue on Integrating Ecology with Human Demographics and Socioeconomics: Modelling Ecological Effects of Human Factors, 140: 9-29.
Duffy, S.B., Corson, M.S., Grant, W.E. (2001)
Internationalization of Land Grant University Curriculum for a Sustainable Environment. Journal of International Agriculture and Extension Education.
Duffy, S. B., Toness, A., and Christiansen, J. (1998)
Scholarships & Awards
- Texas A&M University Department of Agricultural Education American IAEE scholarship, $750 to attend 14th Annual Conference of Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education (AIAEE), Tucson, AZ
- Outstanding graduate student research paper award. "Internationalization of Land Grant University Curriculum For A Sustainable Environment", at 14th Annual Conference of AIAEE
- R. M. "Bob" Logan Academic Excellence Award, Texas A&M University, $1,000
- Pioneer Hi-Bred Scholarship ($700) to attend 33rd Annual Meeting of AIARD in Washington, DC. Gave acceptance address.
- Dr. Maurice Albertson Scholarship ($200) to attend International Conference on Sustainable Village-Based Development sponsored by Society for International Development and Colorado State University in Fort Collins, CO
Professional Affiliations & Civic Activities
Volunteer. Red Cross, DSHR Member, Contra Costa County - ongoing
Member, Women Advancing Microfinance, Northern California Chapter - ongoing
Member, International Coach Federation and East Bay Coaches, 2006-Present
Member, Society for Conservation Biology, Society for International Development, Wildlife Conservation Network, IDEX
Awards Committee Chair, Association for International Agriculture and Rural Development (AIARD)
Founding Board Member, Amigos de las Americas, San Francisco, Financial Education Forum, San Jose, CA,