- Extensive marketing background with a focus on green technologies, including at a preeminent smart city and Internet of Things tech company, creating a new market with first-of-its-kind technology.
- Career-long dedication to social impact and clean tech, as well as an MBA in sustainable management.
- 5 years of international business experience in Japan and South Africa, requiring adaptability, comfort with ambiguity, exceptional communication abilities, and creative problem solving skills.
- Substantial cross-team project management experience and comfort working with executives, engineers, public sector officials, and stakeholder groups.
Americorps NCCC (10-month program) - Charleston, SC. Worked with a traveling 10-member team and non-profit sponsors during 4-6 week philanthropic projects throughout the southeastern United States. Planned and carried out team activities and exercises,mediated team conflict, facilitated meetings regarding team status and objectives. Organized and gave promotional presentations at colleges, career fairs, and non-profit organizations.
CSP Project Development Conference - Denver, CO. Heard from industry leaders on probable future scenarios for the concentrated solar power (CSP) industry, as well as strategies for overcoming regulatory, transmission, and financial roadblocks for project development.
Stanford African Business Forum, Fortune at the Bottom of the African Pyramid - Stanford, CA. Met with African business leaders and thinkers, attended panels and discussions about the opportunities that exist in empowering base-of-pyramid populations through wireless communications, social entrepreneurship, renewable energy projects, and various investment sources.
Climate Policy and West Coast Transportation - Stanford, CA. A conference geared towards policy makers, transportation industry professionals, and EV technology and infrastructure developers who are involved in advancing clean energy and renewable vehicle fuel adoption.
Social Capital Markets Conference (SOCAP) 2008 - San Francisco, CA. Took part in a 3-day conference during the height of the financial crisis focusing on the social investment market. Discussed a variety of topics with hundreds of social investors, entrepreneurs, company CEOs, industry observers, and MBA students hailing from six continents.
Rose City Comedy Show - Portland, OR. Wrote, co-directed, and performed in entertainment events around the Pacific Northwest. Held Fund-raising events for Successful Choices Foster Homes and the Oregon Food Bank, collecting nearly 14,000lbs of canned food and donating several thousand dollars to charity. Organized promotions and marketing campaigns for the shows, met with business sponsors, held crew meetings, and consulted owner on business direction and ideas.
Small Business Consulting, English Garden - Osaka, JP. Devised marketing plan, constructed administrative structure, created manuals for training, sales duties, and management. Also conducted job interviews and made hiring decisions; was responsible for negotiating salaries and training new employees. Advised owner on strategies to improve the working environment to reduce employee/student turnover.
Notable personal activities: Have been cage-diving with great white sharks, bungee-jumping from world's highest commercial jump, have surfed on four continents, and walked several miles of the Great Wall of China.
Finance Internship, Associated Students of the University of Oregon
Refined the budgeting process for University of Oregon student groups and campus organizations. Interviewed department leaders, conducted meetings and consolidated ideas in order to streamline and make more effective the allocation of the $9 million yearly budget.
Aug 2009 - Jun 2011
Focus on clean tech and renewable energy, international development, ecological economics, and sustainable business modeling and development.
International Sustainability Club
Clean Tech Club
Class of 2011
Jul 2011 - Present
Sr. Marketing Manager
- Successfully built a market and brand for a nascent smart city data and technology company to become an industry leader in innovation, with unparalleled press and thought leadership recognition.
- Collaborated extensively and managed relationships with creative agencies, corporate partners, and municipalities to plan and execute strategic marketing projects, and create marketing assets.
- Responsible for planning and executing smart city marketing initiatives that utilize technology for social impact, both in the US and EMEA, requiring resourceful strategies to execute projects and create marketing assets with limited startup resources under minimal supervision.
- Substantial experience with marketing green initiatives and products, from sensing solutions to mobile apps and data, including marketing to cities, corporate leaders, and mobile app users.
- Worked closely with executives, product management, engineering, sales, and customers on a variety of business, products and marketing projects, requiring flexibility and confidence in communication and management style.
- Responsible for the creation and management of city proposals, requiring comprehensive understanding of business, technical, political, and management requirements to tell a complete story.
Municipal and Partner Sales Engagement
- Creating proposals in response to competitive municipal RFPs, RFQs, and RFIs for projects ranging from 6 figures to several million dollars in size, winning the majority of all deals applied for.
- Presenting sales demos to city administration members, including city council members, transportation department heads, and city managers.
- Engaging with corporate partners, including several Fortune 50 and Fortune 500 companies, to manage joint project rollouts, enable sales leadership, and manage relationships.
- Design, mock-up, and refine product features based on optimal user experience and business objectives.
- Coordinate with engineers to track and manage development of software products.
- Develop methods of utilizing data, and conveying data in visual and written forms as information to provide business and social value.
- Work with app developers to determine user stories, needs, and features to optimize user experience.
Jan 2011 - Jul 2011
Management Consulting/Marketing and PR Intern
- Coached CEO on articulating business vision, mission, and marketing strategies.
- Assisted with strategic planning and business development, ideation for client environmental strategies, and green marketing efforts.
Jan 2011 - Jul 2011
Clean Tech Research Analyst Intern
- Extensive research of clean technologies and the clean tech industry for the Clean Energy Trends 2011 report.
- Carried out market sizing of US and global clean tech market, involving research of financial data, venture capital investments, trend reports, and interviews.
- Created a detailed clean tech market penetration study, with recommendations for Japanese wind energy firm to enter the US market.
- Conducted CEO interviews, gathering insights on industry trends to inform books and clean tech reports.
Aug 2009 - Jun 2011
Team Sustainability Projects
MBA Project Clients
These projects are designed to engage student teams with companies and organizations in order to solve real-time challenges at a professional level and in a professional manner. The projects are examined through the lens of sustainability and seek to address issues involving operations, strategic management, financial planning, and marketing.
Strategic and Financial Plan - Electric vehicle infrastructure development
- Provided financial and strategic plan for the rollout of electric vehicle charging infrastructure throughout the city. Incorporated creative and risk-mitigating solutions from existing city models and gave dynamic recommendations for various future scenarios.
- Conducted in-depth financial analysis of several infrastructure options and provided recommendations based on key early indicators of electric vehicle adoption rates.
- Utilized scenario planning techniques to develop focused yet adaptable strategies in order to maximize the effectiveness of the program and mitigate the uncertainties of the nascent electric vehicle market.
Strategic Marketing Plan - Branding for utility-scale renewable energy markets
- Analyzed South African renewable energy markets, competitors, and potential partnerships to enhance Sustainable Projects' competitive advantage in the renewable energy design and consulting market.
- Provided a sequential and comprehensive strategic marketing plan with the ultimate goal of penetrating utility-scale renewable energy generation markets.
- Developed a branding strategy outlining specific steps to build brand loyalty, visibility, and equity. Worked with the director to further articulate and refine the brand vision.
Strategic Operations Plan -Expanding operations to a national scale
- Assessed current business development goals and provided operations plan for the effective use of resources and the expansion of operations from the Chicago area to a nationwide network.
- Examined operations to quantify break-even points of events, environmental impact reductions, and value add for schools and educational programs.
- Reevaluated methods of communicating benefits to riders and schools, as well as organizational relationships.
- Organized and participated in the inaugural Bay Area Climate Cycle ride.
Venture Plan - Gamified software platform for employee engagement
- Developed a comprehensive new venture plan for an innovative, gamified software platform. Using game dynamics to engage employees around corporate social responsibility initiatives and improve workflow management, this business venture would enable companies to track CSR progress and empower employees to make a difference. It's also designed to be a lot of fun!
Jun 2010 - Aug 2010
Business Development Intern (Renewable Energy)
- Developed strategies and tools for project management of a large-scale photovoltaic power generation project to provide renewable energy and other services to an entire island of 52 luxury eco-villas.
- Provided financial analysis, research, sales presentation and site prospecting tools for a proposed $300m, 100MW concentrated solar thermal power plant project in South Africa.
- Initiated and developed a national dealer network to increase product sales volume and reach.
- Saw the need for a fresh website design and layout that better matched the company's current and forward-looking business strategy. Designed and populated the website to appeal to a more professional market audience.
Jun 2008 - Jul 2009
Business Communications Trainer
- Advised company managers, sales staff, supply-chain specialists, engineers, and administrative staff on writing business and technical communications, product reports, sustainability reports, giving presentations, negotiating, anddoing business inter-culturally.
- Developed, planned and taught a curriculum ofbusiness English courses at an international electronic component trading company, mainly doing business in the semiconductor industry.
- Assisted in interpreting technical documents and offered advice on how to draft effective responses to complex issues, as well as deal with problems arising from cultural misunderstandings and miscommunication.
- Increased the demand for classes from 13 to 28 and dramatically improved attendance rates; received consistently high marks on student feedback and evaluations.
Sep 2004 - Nov 2007
- Was responsible for co-managing (with Japanese staff) a diverse branch of 10 teachers and over 300 students; overseeing schedules, capacity and efficiency reports, and branch sales.
- Trained and evaluated new teachers, held workshops on improving lesson quality, teaching techniques, and policy changes.
- Planned and taught 1 to 8-person English classes to Japanese students of all ages, ranging from company CEOs, doctors, and government workers to families and schoolchildren.
- Led large discussion groups concerning a wide variety of topics. Groups were very diverse in English ability, age, and background, requiring a high degree of conversational finesse and understanding of group dynamics.