I am a public relations/communication specialist and I recently completed my master's degree in Public Communication at American University.My experience in the communication field stems from various internships, jobs, and classroom projects. I am looking to expand both my knowledge and experience through opportunities in the Washington, D.C. metro area.I have interests in corporate communications and corporate social responsibility, social marketing, social media, entertainment communications and consumer products.
Coverage of Clorox's "Say Boo! to the Flu" campaign on mom blogger site, Mommy Googles.
Coverage of Clorox's Holiday Health Sweepstakes on blog, Champagne Living
Coverage of Clorox's Holiday Health Sweepstakes on prominent mom blog, Susan Heim on Parenting.
Coverage of Clorox's Spread Prevention downloadable materials and rebate offer in Metro Magazine
Coverage of Clorox's Spread Prevention downloadable materials and rebate offer on CleanLink.com.
Jan 2011 - Present
Ketchum ranks among the largest and most geographically diverse public relations agencies in the world. The agency now operates in more than 65 countries through over 100 offices and affiliates. Ketchum has five global practices – Brand Marketing, Corporate, Healthcare, Food & Nutrition, and Technology – and other specialty areas that include Concentric Communications, Ketchum Sports & Entertainment, Ketchum Digital, Ketchum Global Research Network, MMG, and Ketchum Pleon Change.
Oct 2010 - Jan 2011
Consumer Health & Wellness Intern
I joined the Consumer Health & Wellness brand practice as a junior member of the team and currently work on high-profile client accounts such as The Clorox Company. In my position I continue to contribute to client campaigns by pitching the media and securing placements, writing and drafting press materials and pitch letters, building media lists, performing research and creating results reports.
• Worked on Clorox’s “Say ‘Boo!’ to the Flu” campaign and other initiatives for the Clorox brand
• Pitched client campaigns to trade press and mom bloggers – resulting in several print & online media placements for the client
• Built media lists for key target audiences using Cision; performed media/blog monitoring
• Wrote pitch letters and Twitter & Facebook posts; updated client Facebook page
• Created PowerPoint results reports
• Provided event support staff (Slurpee Summit Unity Tour for 7Eleven)
• Developed & maintained editorial calendars
• Performed research for various client and new business projects
Jun 2010 - Aug 2010
Corporate Communications Intern
Discovery Communications is the world’s number one nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 180 countries. Discovery's portfolio is led by the networks Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Planet Green, Investigation Discovery and HD Theater.
In my position as a corporate communications intern, I worked within several specific branches of corporate communications for Discovery including internal and external communications, corporate relations & partnerships, global events, digital communications and government relations.
• Excelled at compiling media coverage reports, press clippings and media lists
• Drafted Globe Quarterly Newsletter stories, press releases, fact sheets and reports
• Event Support Staff (Discovery Channel 25th Anniversary Week, SilverDocs, Shark Week Screening)
• Managed followers on Corporate Twitter account (@DiscoveryComm) and researched bloggers for outreach opportunities
• Researched options and ideas for various projects, events and corporate responsibility initiatives
• Attended and participated in Corp. Comm. team meetings and press strategies meetings; attended executive presentations
• Outlined and pitched creative internal employee event idea to the internal team
Aug 2009 - Jun 2010
Graduate Research Assistant
In addition to being a full-time graduate student, I was also a research assistant to Professor Gemma Puglisi in the School of Communication. As Prof. Puglisi's assistant I performed several tasks including creating promotional materials, organizing an on-campus panel discussion event, spearheading research efforts in support of her written works, and extensive editing and formatting of her yet unpublished book, Puglisi’s Principles: The Art of the Perfect PR Portfolio. More details below.
• Organized and promoted a panel discussion event on campus with Amnesty International to discuss the Troy Anthony Davis death penalty case
• Researched a chapter that Prof. Puglisi wrote for the SAGE Reference Series on Women in Broadcast News
• Designed a poster to encourage enrollment for an undergraduate PR Practicum class – resulted with enrollment goal fulfilled• Edited and formatted the first draft of her book, Puglisi’s Principles: The Art of the Perfect PR Portfolio
Apr 2008 - Feb 2009
About Raceline Direct:
Raceline Direct is a privately owned NASCAR merchandise retailer that reaches customers through their online store and direct mail catalog.
I performed several duties for this position. I was in charge of designing and sending out the company's promotional emails to customers and subscribers through the Constant Contact service. I also helped to create a social media presence for the company through applications such as Facebook and online blogs. Another task I performed was managing and updating products sold through the Shop.com and Amazon.com platforms. This involved managing inventory and fulfilling orders placed online. Periodically, I helped to design, edit, and proofread the copy and layout for the company's direct mail catalog. See below for bulleted highlights:
• Managed promotional email marketing campaigns (via Constant Contact) which were sent to customers
• Implemented public relations program through Facebook and blogs
• Managed and updated products sold through Shop.com and Amazon.com
• Proofread catalog copy and layout for merchandise advertisements; helped create and place advertisements in relevant newspapers
• Conducted competitive analysis and created spreadsheets of price points
• Excelled in customer service, order processing and data entry of mail, phone and Internet orders
Aug 2007 - Nov 2007
About Five Star PR:
Five Star PR is a boutique PR agency specializing in travel, business, business tourism, food and lifestyle brands. The company is based in Manly Beach, Australia (just 15 minutes outside Sydney).
During my semester abroad studying at Macquarie University in Australia, I also interned at Five Star PR. In this role, I performed many administrative and professional tasks throughout the semester. I excelled at writing and developing press releases, making invitations and press kits, and conducting research. I developed media pitching skills and spoke directly with journalists and clients. I was also in charge of planning, organizing, and executing a press event to promote a client's services. I contacted members of the press to attend the event, produced a media kit, and was in contact with the client to get the event off the ground. See below for bulleted highlights:
• Arranged meetings and distributed information to clients and local press
• Wrote press releases, articles, and invitations; pitched stories to press and target audiences
• Developed a media list
• Conducted research and organized a media event, resulting in publicity in new markets for a client (Manly Surf School)
May 2006 - Jun 2006
Riger Advertising is a multi-service marketing communications agency, encompassing marketing, public relations, research, media services, graphics, sales promotion, special events, video and print production, direct mail, multimedia presentations, and many other specializations. Riger serves a variety of industrial, business-to-business, financial, health care and consumer-oriented accounts.
As an intern at Riger, I drafted articles for an online client newsletter, compiled data, wrote the text for a client poster, brainstormed ideas for a radio ad, and made preliminary designs for brochures and flipcharts. Most of my time there was spent out in the field conducting intercept interviews for a new client, Wilber National Bank. See below for bulleted highlights:
• Conducted intercept interviews as part of a market research and communication audit project
• Created preliminary designs for brochures and marketing materials; drafted online newsletter articles and radio scripts
• Attended brainstorming meetings to analyze a client’s past advertisements and develop new creative strategies
Aug 2009 - Aug 2010
Graduating GPA: 3.97/4.0
Capstone thesis: Applying social media to corporate social responsibility efforts as a means of increasing stakeholder engagement/dialogue. Title: "Disney’s Friends for Change: Introducing Social Media to Corporate Social Responsibility."
Relevant coursework: Principles of Strategic Communication, Public Communication Research, Communication Writing, Management, Social Media, Social Marketing, and Entertainment Communication.
• PRSSA - AU Chapter
Aug 2004 - Dec 2007
Graduating GPA: 3.8/4.0
Honors:Summa Cum Laude; Dean’s List for four semesters; President’s List for two semesters
Major Concentration: Communication - Interpersonal & Organizational
Minor: Integrated Marketing Communications
Awards, Memberships, Activites:
• Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges Award
• Golden Key International Honor Society member
• Lambda Pi Eta member - Communication honor society
• PR Director for GSTV – Geneseo Campus TV station (2006-2007)
• Assistant Advertising Manager for The Lamron, Geneseo student newspaper (2004-2005)