Sep 2006 - Present
Sr. Marketing Communications Specialist
- Lead communication strategies involving grassroots and traditional PR campaigns, including development of press releases, MAT releases, video news releases, media pitches, letters to the editor, opinion editorials, satellite media tours, public service announcements, desk-side briefings, advertorials, press conferences, and media interviews.
- Create and edit copy for marketing and advertising collateral, such as print ads, direct mail pieces, e-mail blasts, newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, and Web banners.
- Arrange logistics for press conferences, trade shows, and other promotional events and attend as a representative of Kidde.
- Perform market research studies via focus groups and surveys.
- Serve as a company spokesperson in radio and television interviews.
- Introduce social media as newest platform to help Kidde and other UTC companies raise brand awareness.
- Utilize content management system to update company Web site as needed.
- Collaborate with internal design team to develop appropriate graphic collateral and branding for campaigns.
- Liaise with external PR agency as needed to provide additional campaign support.
- Assist in managing crisis communications for product recalls and media stories with potential to impact sales.
- Assist in the creation and delivery of marketing and sales presentations to secure new or existing partnerships with leading national retailers.
- Compose reports to be distributed company-wide, analyzing results of promotional campaigns.
- Inform team of media trends which may affect the fire safety industry.
- Identify opportunities within existing company partnerships to generate cross- promotions and help increase sales.
- Manage product samples budget for marketing, retail sales, and commercial sales groups.
2005 - 2006
Marketing Coordinator/Account Manager
- Managed events, marketing projects and print projects.
- Produced and distributed media kits, including copy for press releases, print ads, and other collateral.
- Coordinated ad placement for clients.
- Created tag lines and other forms of branding for clients.
2005 - 2006
Website Project Manager
- Managed initial implementation of website projects and assigned necessary tasks to appropriate team members.
- Oversaw graphic design, programming, and setup of Web sites.
- Responsible for thorough testing of content management system of Web sites before deployment.
- Responded to client support needs.
- Wrote and published copy for client Web sites.
- Provided timely follow-up to ensure client satisfaction.
Proficient in computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledgeable in SAS Enterprise Guide and Enterprise Miner. Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as copywriting and copyediting skills using AP style.
Kidde's Silhouette Smoke Alarm was featured in Southern Living's Idea Home. This is an advertorial that I wrote, which appeared in Southern Living magazine.
The media coverage totals of this release placed it in the top 1/4% of all releases distributed to the media through NAPS, including releases for most Fortune 500 companies, more than 100 associations, and all top 12 PR firms.
Kidde partnered with the state of Iowa on a very aggressive fire safety campaign to get smoke alarms in every child's home by the end of 2011. This is a script I wrote for the Iowa State Fire Marshal's Office to help promote the initiative.
This is the presentation I developed for the internal team, regarding the benefits of participating in social media. It was very well received-- units all across UTC are now using social media to help build their brand.