Experienced business manager with strategic product marketing experience in pharmaceutical, OTC and consumer packaged goods industries. Areas of expertise include the development of business strategy, new product evaluation and advertising/promotion plans.
Dec 2005 - Present
VP, Internal Medicine Marketing
Lead marketing team for Actonel, the #2 brand in the $5+ billion osteoporosis category, and provide commercial input for several developmental compounds in related therapeutic areas.
- Develop, implement and monitor marketing strategy/plans to grow sales and profitability of the Actonel brand (a 50-50 Alliance with Procter & Gamble).
- As primary alliance representative, ensure SA is represented in key decisions and work to improve efficiency of joint processes.·
- Partner with R&D to develop lifecycle management plan and lead strategy/positioning of lifecycle initiatives to drive profitable brand expansion.
- Establish/Manage high-performing marketing team by attracting top talent and then providing appropriate training, coaching and development opportunities.
Jun 2004 - Nov 2005
Senior Director/Director – Actonel Marketing
Responsible for all consumer and professional marketing activities for Actonel, a $900M osteoporosis therapy, marketed jointly by sanofi-aventis and Procter & Gamble.
- Teamed with Regional Sales Director to revamp sales meetings to create excitement and enhance interest/learning - Feedback from sales directors indicated this meeting was the best meeting Actonel had produced.
- Launched direct to consumer campaign that increased brand awareness 75% in first six months.
Mar 2002 - May 2004
Global Commercial Team Leader – New Products
Led global commercial teams in assessment of early stage anti-inflammatory (arthritis) and cardiovascular compounds. Responsible for development of global marketing and medical strategy for assigned compounds, including key product features, worldwide forecasts and financial evaluation.
- Developed integrated global business case for a cardiovascular compound including financial evaluation, forecast sensitivity modeling, patent position scenario planning for across three planned product indications.This analysis was used to support discontinuation of lead compound and focus on back-up compound.
- Partnered with Health Economics to create a “life time cost model” for an anti-inflammatory compound.The model provided early identification of critical efficacy thresholds, allowing for inclusion in pivotal trials.
Jan 2001 - Mar 2002
Vice President – Home Healthcare
Becton, Dickinson and Company
Recruited to improve business efficiency and recommend appropriate long-term business strategy.Worldwide P&L responsibility for the $125MM consumer products business including three major product lines – Orthopedic supports (ACE brand), thermometers and disposable gloves.Managed 45 person cross-functional (marketing, R&D, specialty distribution) organization and provided business specific direction for manufacturing facilities.
- Worked with corporate procurement to identify/implement material and/or supplier changes resulting in $3 million annualized cost of goods savings.
- Streamlined business systems/processes to allow better focus of limited resources including a 40% reduction in number of SKUs and a 70% decrease in excess/obsolete inventory
- Gained management approval, solicited interest and completed due diligence for sale of business
Nov 1998 - Dec 2000
Director of Marketing - Functional Nutrition
Novartis Consumer Health
Responsible for evaluating potential for the company in the VMS (vitamin, mineral, supplement) and functional food areas and developing/implementing an entry strategy.Additionally, responsible for hiring, training and managing of two category directors and one assistant.
- Led variety of consumer/customer opportunity assessments to identify attractive trademark and product licensing opportunities, including a test market of a line of VMS products launched in December 2000.
- Headed marketing function as part of global team that established a 50-50 joint venture with Quaker Oats to form a separate company called Altus Foods Company, chartered to develop and market functional foods
Jun 1992 - Oct 1998
Procter & Gamble
Brand Manager - Beverage New Products/Global Expansion (March 1998 – October 1998)
Brand Manager - Folgers Coffee (August 1995 - February 1998)
Assistant Brand Manager - Juice Products (September 1993 - July 1995)
Brand Assistant - Duncan Hines (July 1992 - August 1993)
1985 - 1990
Manufacturing Management Program
Project Leader - Capital ExpendituresCleveland, OH
Purchasing Agent - Raw MaterialsCleveland, OH
Manufacturing Management Training ProgramVaried Locations