I enjoy sports, music, reading, and writing. Currently, I am very interested in traveling. I like meeting new people, trying new things, and challenging myself in new environments. I love learning about other countries' customs, traditions, and lifestyles.
Hello! My name is Laura Modjeski. I recently graduated from the University of Oregon in June with degrees in Journalism, with an emphasis in public relations, and Spanish. I also earned a minor in Business Administration.
I am eager to apply my public relations skills that I have learned in the classroom to real world situations. I strive to make a difference in this field and know that my strategic thinking and self-motivation will help me accomplish this goal.
I hope to find a job that combines my public relations and spanish skills. I am interested in working for a nonprofit or international organization.
My creativity, dependability, and desire to succeed will make me an asset to your organization.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sep 2009 - Jun 2010
Touring/Concert Manager, Intern, Public relations department
This internship required me to actively engage in fundraising activities, promotion, community outreach, event planning, and patron development and retention. Activities included the following:
- Team member for the Bachelor/Bachelorette Auction, a fundraiser that generated more than $1700 to benefit the orchestra for the Visions d’Amour performance.
- Organized attendees for the Tales of Beatrix Potter Outreach Performance. Created a classroom packet for teachers. Arranged a Hult Center seating chart for more than 500 participants.
- Posted weekly updates on Ballet Fantastique’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Assisted with procurement, donation sourcing, and did follow-up communications after events.
- Participated in weekly intern meetings and prepared weekly activity reports.
Sep 2009 - Jun 2010
- Event Staff for “Knockturn Alley,” a Halloween fundraiser raising more than $1,100.
- Attended weekly meetings to enhance my knowledge of public relations and job opportunities.
Sep 2009 - Dec 2009
- Worked with organization’s constituents, translating English language legal documents and job applications into Spanish.
Jan 2008 - Jan 2009
Executive Position: Corresponding Secretary
- Attended weekly meetings with council members to resolve current issues and discuss upcoming chapter events.
- Wrote and delivered letters to all of the Greek houses to promote communication and community among chapters.
- Ensured sorority was in compliance with national standards by tracking and submitting chapter documents to headquarters.
Jun 2008 - Aug 2008
- Answered and directed incoming phone calls, greeted visitors, and distributed legal mail.
- Worked with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word to design labels for filing.
Apr 2008 - Jun 2008
- Tutored two adult Spanish speaking students two hours per week in math, literature and writing in preparation for the High School Equivalency Test.
Jun 2007 - Sep 2007
- Provided administrative support to more than 160 lawyers. Answered and directed incoming phone calls, greeted visitors, helped manage conference room events, and distributed legal mail.
Sep 2006 - Jun 2010
Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism and Spanish
Minor in Business Administration
Sep 2008 - Dec 2008
- Improved Spanish accent and conversational skills.
Created a contact list of participating schools, arranged a Hult Center seating chart for more than 500 participants, scheduled bus parking, and volunteers to assist with performance logistics, and created a protocol for this event.
Created fall 2009 for a course in Strategic Writing and Media Relations. This assignment helped me develop an understanding on how to prioritize newsworthy information and promote an event to the media.
Created fall 2009 for a course in Strategic Writing and Media Relations. This document was published in a press release for Ballet Fantastique.
Created summer 2009 for a course in Spanish film. This assignment focused on the work of Alfonso Cuaron, a Mexican director, screenwriter, and film producer. It highlights his life, style, themes, and discusses one of his famous movies, "Y tu mama tambien."
Created fall 2009 for the Participatory Learning Experience (PLE), a bilingual internship, through the Department of Romance Languages. It is a reflection of my experience with Centro Latino Americano.
Created winter 2009 for a course in Writing for the Media. It was a magazine-length feature story on the English-only movement and its role in Oregon. This project required interviews and outside research. I chose this topic because I am passionate about foreign languages, especially Spanish.
Created spring 2010 for a course in Public Relations Campaigns. I worked in a team to develop a powerpoint presentation of our strategic public relations plan, and pitched our ideas to the client.
Created spring 2010 for a course in Public Relations Campaigns. This was an implementation piece for FFLC that promotes the idea of a word-of-mouth campaign, gives information about FFLC, and discusses the hunger statistics in Oregon.
Created spring 2010 for a course in Public Relations Campaigns. I worked in a team to create a public relations plan for FOOD For Lane County (FFLC). This assignment helped me understand what it's like to work as a public relations representative for a real client.