I enjoy sports, music, reading, and writing. Currently, I am very interested in traveling. I like meeting new people, trying new things, and challenging myself in new environments. I love learning about other countries' customs, traditions, and lifestyles.
Hello! My name is Laura Modjeski. I recently graduated from the University of Oregon in June with degrees in Journalism, with an emphasis in public relations, and Spanish. I also earned a minor in Business Administration.
I am eager to apply my public relations skills that I have learned in the classroom to real world situations. I strive to make a difference in this field and know that my strategic thinking and self-motivation will help me accomplish this goal.
I hope to find a job that combines my public relations and spanish skills. I am interested in working for a nonprofit or international organization.
My creativity, dependability, and desire to succeed will make me an asset to your organization.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sep 2009 - Jun 2010
Touring/Concert Manager, Intern, Public relations department
This internship required me to actively engage in fundraising activities, promotion, community outreach, event planning, and patron development and retention. Activities included the following:
- Team member for the Bachelor/Bachelorette Auction, a fundraiser that generated more than $1700 to benefit the orchestra for the Visions d’Amour performance.
- Organized attendees for the Tales of Beatrix Potter Outreach Performance. Created a classroom packet for teachers. Arranged a Hult Center seating chart for more than 500 participants.
- Posted weekly updates on Ballet Fantastique’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Assisted with procurement, donation sourcing, and did follow-up communications after events.
- Participated in weekly intern meetings and prepared weekly activity reports.
Sep 2009 - Jun 2010
- Event Staff for “Knockturn Alley,” a Halloween fundraiser raising more than $1,100.
- Attended weekly meetings to enhance my knowledge of public relations and job opportunities.
Sep 2009 - Dec 2009
- Worked with organization’s constituents, translating English language legal documents and job applications into Spanish.
Jan 2008 - Jan 2009
Executive Position: Corresponding Secretary
- Attended weekly meetings with council members to resolve current issues and discuss upcoming chapter events.
- Wrote and delivered letters to all of the Greek houses to promote communication and community among chapters.
- Ensured sorority was in compliance with national standards by tracking and submitting chapter documents to headquarters.
Jun 2008 - Aug 2008
- Answered and directed incoming phone calls, greeted visitors, and distributed legal mail.
- Worked with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word to design labels for filing.
Apr 2008 - Jun 2008
- Tutored two adult Spanish speaking students two hours per week in math, literature and writing in preparation for the High School Equivalency Test.
Jun 2007 - Sep 2007
- Provided administrative support to more than 160 lawyers. Answered and directed incoming phone calls, greeted visitors, helped manage conference room events, and distributed legal mail.
Sep 2006 - Jun 2010
Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism and Spanish
Minor in Business Administration
Sep 2008 - Dec 2008
- Improved Spanish accent and conversational skills.
Created fall 2009 for a course in Strategic Writing and Media Relations. This document was published in a press release for Ballet Fantastique.
Created fall 2009 for a course in Strategic Writing and Media Relations. This assignment helped me develop an understanding on how to prioritize newsworthy information and promote an event to the media.
Created a contact list of participating schools, arranged a Hult Center seating chart for more than 500 participants, scheduled bus parking, and volunteers to assist with performance logistics, and created a protocol for this event.
Created fall 2009 for the Participatory Learning Experience (PLE), a bilingual internship, through the Department of Romance Languages. It is a reflection of my experience with Centro Latino Americano.
Created summer 2009 for a course in Spanish film. This assignment focused on the work of Alfonso Cuaron, a Mexican director, screenwriter, and film producer. It highlights his life, style, themes, and discusses one of his famous movies, "Y tu mama tambien."
Created spring 2010 for a course in Public Relations Campaigns. I worked in a team to create a public relations plan for FOOD For Lane County (FFLC). This assignment helped me understand what it's like to work as a public relations representative for a real client.
Created spring 2010 for a course in Public Relations Campaigns. This was an implementation piece for FFLC that promotes the idea of a word-of-mouth campaign, gives information about FFLC, and discusses the hunger statistics in Oregon.
Created spring 2010 for a course in Public Relations Campaigns. I worked in a team to develop a powerpoint presentation of our strategic public relations plan, and pitched our ideas to the client.
Created winter 2009 for a course in Writing for the Media. It was a magazine-length feature story on the English-only movement and its role in Oregon. This project required interviews and outside research. I chose this topic because I am passionate about foreign languages, especially Spanish.