I have worked in marketing & advertising since 1987, with experience in media planning, media promotion, account management, project management, copy writing, event planning & public relations. I launched a web business in 2006, www.CampRatingz.com, and currently do freelance marketing communications for several clients. I have had articles published in NYParentGuide, NY Tweens & Teens News, The Main Line Times, PA; and Jewish Asia Times. I have launched successful newsletters for Gannett Co. Inc., Oxford Health Plans & Camp Specialists. My areas of expertise include summer camp, education, special needs, parenting & healthcare.
Sep 2005 - Present
Founder / Marketing Director
CampRatingz.com is a free website enabling families to exchange information on their experiences with camps & summer programs, throughout the US and Canada. Programs rated include day camps, sleepaway camps, teen tours, academic programs, study abroad & community service programs.
- Conceptualized concept for website, wrote business plan & secured partners.
- Assisted in site design; serve as site administrator.
- Created press list for website, wrote press releases, maintained contact with media.
- Wrote four camp-related articles, promoting website, published in NY ParentGuide, circulated in Westchester, New York and on Long island.
- Sold national banner advertising.
Sep 2003 - Jun 2005
Director of Marketing & Sales
Free camp referral service for families considering summer camp.
- Created marketing materials, including newsletters, brochures, mailings & press releases.
- Targeted affinity businesses, including schools, camp outfitters & youth sports leagues.
- Hired and managed sales team of independent camp specialists.
- Conceived of & executed marketing partnership between Camp Specialists & Denny's Childrenswear, with 12 stores throughout the New York and Philadelphia metro areas.
Mar 1995 - Jun 1997
Sr. Account Executive / Copy Writer
Sanna Mattson MacLeod
- Cultivated new accounts for agency from Pitney Bowes & Lenox Hill Hospital.
- Authored extensive marketing and media plans.
- Generated estimates for client projects.
- Liaison between client and agency departments.
- Wrote brochure and advertising copy.
- Serviced accounts: Winthrop Hospital, Southside Hospital, Pitney Bowes.
Sep 1994 - Mar 1995
Senior Marketing Associate
Oxford Health Plans
- sales management to design effective selling tools.
- Authored client presentations, brochures and other sales collateral.
- Conceived, wrote and designed sales & marketing newsletter.
- Served as consultant to sales force on the launch of database management system.
Apr 1992 - Sep 1994
Gannett Co. Inc.
- Developed marketing communications for new cross-media division, including mission statement, media kit, general presentation, sales proposals, speeches and press releases.
- Created client-specific sales concepts, incorporating national and local newspapers, television, radio, direct marketing and outdoor advertising.
- Established/oversaw advertising and marketing newsletter, distributed daily to over 1,000 Gannett sales professionals, nationwide.
- Developed and managed client special events.
- Maintained communication with all Gannett divisions regarding account status.
- Accompanied new business directors on pertinent sales calls.
- Supervised corporate writer and marketing coordinator.
Oct 1988 - Apr 1992
Promotion Copy Writer
- Developed promotional materials, concept to completion, which effectively positioned USA TODAY in the advertising marketplace.
- Projects included sales presentations, videos, brochures, direct mail & fliers.
- Originated category-specific special advertising section concepts/designs.
Sep 1988 - Oct 1989
- Contact to advertising sales force on merchandising projects.
- Wrote publisher’s letters, cover wraps, invitations and sales presentations.
- Oversaw facets of advertising trade campaign.
- Liaison to mailing house and outside vendors.
- Conceptualized, purchased and allocated premium items.
- Assisted special events department.
Aug 1987 - Sep 1988
Young & Rubicam Advertising
Colgate-Palmolive, Time Inc.
- Researched, developed and implemented media plans.
- Presented agency recommendations to clients.
- Negotiated positioning and merchandising with media.
- Maintained advertising budget.