(519) 221-9954 l 130 Robinson Road, Cambridge, ON N1R 5S7, CANADA
Senior ITSM Manager, Director
Over 15 years leadership experience, (groups of up to 200+ people) in a customer experience management capacity.Including 8+ years at Microsoft, where, for 5 years, I held responsibility for Product Support Service’s Customer Satisfaction results and increased satisfaction by 8% to the highest levels worldwide.Account management and customer service responsibilities for Fortune 500 companies, such as, Deloitte & Touche, KPMG, Ernst and Young, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, IBM, Sprint, CIBC, and other companies in the financial, telecom, health care and retail industries.Over the last 8 years, I have worked in the following roles: Director - Call Center, Director of Operations, VP Customer Experience Management, and General Manager.
Consistently perform at top of peer group, as evidenced by the various awards & achievements earned throughout academic and working life.
s Customer Service
s Strategic Operations Management
s P&L Accountability (from small bootstrapped companies up to $100+ million)
sTechnology Implementation & Management
s Cost Reduction
s Program and Project Management
s Global Operations
Customer Focus, continuously one of my highest rated competencies.An excellent example is how I created a training program using Disney, as a world class example, to show support technicians the level of support and care end users love.This, along with other innovative programs helped Microsoft Canada earn the highest customer satisfaction levels within Microsoft world wide.Technical support, inside sales, telesales, outside sales, lead generation, management experience, in the high tech, Internet, software, travel, & professional service industries.
- Expertise in highly technical multinational projects & operations, coupled with virtual office experience.Through experience at Microsoft on an international technical account management team, helping to manage over 500,000 desktops at the world’s largest accounting/consulting firms.Through my previous role as Product Support Manager of Microsoft Canada, responsible for helping to implement an International Support Team for Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint, etc).Familiar with: Web 2.0 technology, SEO, virtual office tools, CRM/project tools, technical outsourced & offshore BPO/back office environments with vendors from around the globe, tools such as DreamTeam, Salesforce.com, InfusionSoft, Omniture, Google Analytics, AdSense, AdWords, .Net, PHP, XML,.Previously Microsoft MCP certified in TCP/IP, Windows Server, certified in MS Office applications, VBA, MS Project, and more.Extremely versatile & knowledgeable with software, hardware and Internet technology.
Project Management/Program Management:Project Management Institute (PMI) certification (1995).Previous lead support person for Microsoft Project at Microsoft Canada, responsible for 3rd level of support, and training.Member of Microsoft international support team for Microsoft Project.Have run hundreds of projects at Microsoft, and other Fortune 500 companies as well as smaller companies, plus consulting engagements.Familiar with matrix environments, both strong and weak.
- Extremely results-driven with exceptional attention to detail, as evidenced by continually meeting business objectives.While at Microsoft I was consistently given reviews placing my performance within the top 25% of all employees.Written feedback from a previous Senior Director at Microsoft “Larry is one of the most reliable people on the leadership team.He can be counted on to help when asked and to respond to questions and requests in a timely manner.He pays attention to detail.He makes his beliefs known and doesn’t back down when confronted [and] is willing to risk the consequences of following the road less traveled.[He] is a very valuable and competent member of the team.
Transforming executive strategy to workable solutions, against tight deadlines, and benchmarking performance to meet or exceed operational objectives.Successfully created and ran an Internet company, during the “dotcom bust”, which was profitably sold.Grew revenue during my first two years as General Manager at IDincorporated by 300% through focus on ensuring processes and procedures where in place and followed to turn strategy in to reality.
Leadership and Management:Won a prestigious international Microsoft leadershipaward in 2000 and was invited to personally meet Steve Ballmer (CEO of Microsoft), Bill Gates, and other members of the senior leadership team.Example of the type of feedback received from employees on management reviews “Larry communicates very well.I always know exactly where I stand.As well, I would suggest that he is genuinely concerned for the team’s well being.Always upbeat, always willing to listen to personal or work related problems, makes Larry an extremely effective manager.If people are happy, their work is not perceived as work, and performance improves.Larry is awfully good at this!”… “excellent constructive feedback”.
Business Acumen:Currently sit, on the Board of Directors for an engineering firm, an Internet marketing firm, a real estate/vacation rental holding company and local Community Care Access Centre.This has broadened awareness of staffing, processes, key metrics and government requirements for various industries. Entities range from having 6 figure to 9 figure operating budgets.
Awards & Achievements
- Helped to create and own(ed) the #1 site for Canadians to find a lawyer (lawyershop.ca) and the #1 natural product website in the world (npicenter.com) (2002 to 2010)
- Award, through NPIcenter.com which I help found, for Efforts on Behalf of the Industry (Natural Products) from Nutrition Business Journal. (2004)
- International Leadership Award from Microsoft (2000)
- Selected by Jeff Raikes (previous Microsoft Group Vice President Worldwide Sales and Support), based on performance history, to take part in a focus group of 150 people from across the company, on what keeps high performing employees connected to Microsoft and what prompts them to leave (1998)
- Microsoft Product Support Services Canada achieved the highest customer satisfaction results throughout Microsoft world wide from 1997, when I started managing the project, to when I left the project in 2001.
- Outstanding Achievement Award in Computer Studies from Digital Equipment Ltd. Graduated with High Honours at Top of Computer Science Class (1991)
(2003 to current)
Managing Energy Inc.
Acting Director of Operations
(2010) to current)
·Contract Director of Operation for a small SaaS software company in the energy management industry
· Position includes strategy, managing QA in an Agile environment, and all aspects of operations.
Interscope Directories Inc.
(2007 to 2009)
VP Customer Experience Management
(2004 to 2005)
·Ownership position, Board of Directors
·Implemented outsourcing and offshoring vendor management, and systems, from initial sourcing, Request For Proposal to ongoing contract management, service definitions and service level objectives
·Responsible for all aspects of customer satisfaction, HR, operations, finance, government programs (SR&ED, New Media) and share the sales and marketing responsibilities with the President of the company
Acpana Business Systems Inc.
Director, Call Centre
(2003 to 2004)
Data Deposit Box project – http://www.datadepositbox.com/
acted as Director of their call center.Short term contract, responsible for creating all initial call center policies and procedures which allowed Acpana to sell their solution to Primus (Canadian Telecom Provider, who resold the service to their customers)
Director of Operations
(2002 to 2006)
·Previously Part Owner, Board of Directors, worked on all aspects of customer management, program management for website, strategy, technical development through to sales and marketing.
Microsoft Canada Co.
(1993 to 2002)
Technical Account Manager
(TAM)(2001 to 2002)
Managed technical account contracts in the accounting and consulting verticals for Deloitte & Touche, KPMG, Ernst and Young, PWC, IBM, Ingram Micro, and Sprint.Proactively worked to keep them verify satisfied with their Microsoft Premier Support experience.
·Personally responsible for 25,000 desktops, and part of international team responsible for 500,000 desktops.
·Accountable at Microsoft, and with accounts, from manager to ‘C’ level executives, for project management, and risk assessment, to successfully implement Microsoft technologies.
Manager, Product Support Services
(PSS) (1996 to 2001)
Managed all aspects of the Product Support Services department:Including outsourced vendor management (entitlement team, and outsourced technical teams), customer satisfaction, internal technical teams (200+ people)
·Worked with management team to tighten support procedures thereby saving Microsoft Product Support over $500,000 in FY'97
·Improved consistency of entitlement team members by 15%
·Reduced customer survey costs by 25%, and saved 350 hours of labor/year on report creation through automation
·Owned Product Support procedures, change management system, and special projects with 3rd party accounts and vendors, such as, Department of Defence (Canada), and Future Shop (Best Buy)
·Responsible for ensuring that Microsoft Canada PSS was ready for Y2K.Involved helping to create the procedures and teams for worldwide Microsoft task force
·Handled top level of all product support, and customer service issues for two years
·Knowledge of call center staffing, Erlang C, DNIS, ACDs, ASA, IVR, queues, skill sets, service levels, metrics, etc., in a 24/7, bilingual, multi-center, multi-country environment
Principle Product Support Technician
(November 1993 to December 1995)
3rd level of support for MS Office (Excel, Project, Office Setup).Responsible for ensuring processes and procedures with outsourced vendors.Helped to create an international team of technicians along with associated procedures for a 3rd level of support within Microsoft.
Summary of Other Employment:
Discover Vacation Rental (2002 to current)
RE/MAX - Real Estate (2005 to 2006)
Hudson’s Bay - Men’s Wear(1988 to 1990)
Sheridan College - Instructor/Trainer(1993 to 1994)
University of Toronto – T.A.(1992 to 1993)
Telware - Technical Supervisor (1993 to 1993)
Ontario Hydro(1990 to 1992)
Canada Employment and Immigration Commission
Computer Security (Co-op Term)(1989)
:Sheridan College(1988 to 1991)
Computer Science, Co-op diploma, graduated with High Honours, Top of Class
:University of Waterloo
General Arts DegreeOngoing through distance education
Currently completed 3 of 6 semester correspondence course. Used to round out technical education with courses in the Arts, such as, philosophy & psychology.Maintaining an A average, I complete additional courses as time allows.
ITIL Foundation, ITIL Strategy, ITIL Design, ITIL Transition, ITIL Operations, PMI and various other project management courses, numerous negotiating courses, many leadership courses (e.g., Situational Leadership II).I’ve taken various Seven Habits training courses and continuously refer back to Stephen Covey’s “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”.Media Training, and “Projecting a Positive Professional Image:Your Leadership Edge” through CMC/AMA.Constantly reading The Economist, Harvard Business Review, etc.,example of some of the customer service and management books I’ve recently read:“You WILL Be Satisfied”, “Leading Change”, “Executing Your Strategy, How to Break It Down & Get It Done”, “Leading at a Higher Level”, “Managing the Customer Experience”, “The Disney Touch”, "23 Steps to an Effective Call Centre".
Hobbies and Extra Activities:
- Past member of Sheridan College, and Sir Sandford Fleming College, Computer Studies Advisory councils.
- Perform various speaking engagements for schools, non-profit centers, and industry conferences.
- Worked with the Software and National Competitiveness Committee sponsored by CEIC, CATA and CIPS.
- Volunteer work, including the United Way.
- Previously an Associate Member of the Ontario Association of Certified Technicians and Technologists
- Licensed to trade Real Estate & Businesses in Ontario, Canada. Own 4 vacation properties, in Ontario & Alberta, Canada and Guanacaste, Costa Rica, along with the possibility to develop additional land in Ontario cottage country.
- Hobbies are traveling, reading, skiing, SCUBA diving, running, fishing and various team sports
s Process Improvement
s Entrepreneurial Vision
s Global Operations
s Budgeting (from small bootstrapped businesses to multi million $)
s Risk Management
s Ability to Continuously Improve
s Technology Management