- Producing Video
My name is Thalmus Thomas and I'm a recent Radford University graduate. While attending Radford I decided to dive into the world of communications and to pursue a journalism degree. With this degree I hope to obtain employment/internship with an organiztion that will assist me in my quest to become a journalist.
I decided to do journalism because of how it impacts the world. We virtually come in contact with some form of news everyday whether it be checking the weather, looking at our email, or watching tv. We live in the age of information and news keeps us up to date on what's going on around us.
Aug 2006 - Dec 2010
BS Degree - Media Studies
Minor in Sociology
Covering various sporting events throughout Loudoun
Marketing and Communications Volunteer
Writing articles and press releases
Interviewing past/present employees
Assisting with prepartion of various events (Oscar Night Amerca, PiP 2011)
Jun 2006 - Aug 2010
For every summer starting from June 2006 - August 2010, I would intern at the Department of Technology Services branch of Arlington County Government:
- Answered phone calls on help desk
- Used service desk to generate tickets to assist users who experience problems
- Installed Cisco phones
- Imaged/reimaged computers
- Assisted with moving employees from one building to another
- Performed quality assurance
- Replaced computer hard drives
- Installed various software: MS Office 2003
- Installed Adobe
- Visited various county sites to work on problems with computers that could not be done by remote control
- Installed telephones for new VOIP system
- Participated in the county pc replacement program and installed all applications on the new machines
- Installed MS XP on laptops
- Set up UPass accounts for users to be able to reset their own network passwords
- Downloaded data into the system for Asset Tag Renewal Program
- Installed Symantec antivirus
- Cleaned and replaced motherboards
- Participated in the County PC replacement program
- Assisted Techs with their tickets
- Used Microsoft Visio to come up with a diagram for Arlington County Board Room
- Developed guidelines for using equipment in various Conference rooms
Sep 2008 - May 2010
Every now and then I would write articles for Radford University's school newspaper. I did sports stories, press releases about certain events coming, and covered some speeches.
Jun 2008 - Jul 2009
Information Technology Volunteer
During the summertime of 2008 and 2009 for a month, I worked in the Information Technology Department at the Red Cross. Tasks that I completed:
- Imaged/Reimaged Computers
- Swapped Memory Sticks
- Changed Motherboards
- Installed Digital Camera Software for Employees
Assignment for Web Production class. Channeled my inner NFL Scout and profiled 5 players who I thought could succeed in the NFL from day 1.
An article I wrote for the Tartan while attending Radford University. Served as a heads up for the upcoming Highlander Film Festival that year.
A piece I did on the Virginia Elections for 2010. I went to one of the polling places in Radford and talked to a few people.
An article I did for the Tartan about the Men's Basketball team. This was a preview for the 2008-2009 season.
An article I wrote for the Tartan. Radford University's School of Communication launched it's first Communications Week, which is devoted to showing potential students what the Communications field has to offer.
An article I did on Walter Rugaber. He visited Radford University and delivered a speech about the future of journalism.