Intuitive and diligent public relations/communications professional skilled in media relations, non-profit communications, government relations, cable franchise coordination and live television news production. Actively involved in the Salinas Valley Business Women`s Network, Salinas Valley Chamber of Commerce Diplomat Committee, Fund Builders Alliance and graduate of Leadership Salinas Valley -Class XXVI. “Laura is a gifted Public Relations professional. She knows the value of relationships and takes the time to cultivate them and connect with people. Laura works extremely well under pressure and she presents a professional relationship at all times. She willingly accepts additional assignments and achieves a high degree of success. Her communication skills, both verbal and written, are superb. Laura also has excellent computer skills and excels in creative design. Laura is well-liked and respected by leadership volunteers, the Board of Directors and leaders in the community. She has quickly grasped the essentials of fundraising and has been able to weave her PR expertise into all aspects of her work. Laura is courteous, loyal, pleasant to work with and at all times respects the dignity of others. I would have no reservations recommending Laura for any position she might consider." — Paula Herrera, was Laura's boss at the American Red Cross, Monterey-San Benito Counties Chapter Source: www.linkedin.com
I'd like to utilize the skills that I've learned over the years in live television news production and non-profit public relations to help you further your business. If you need a media relations/marketing/communications professional...please look no further. You may learn more about me on my website at www.mediamavencommunications.com I am seeking fulltime employment in Monterey, Santa Cruz or Santa Clara Counties.
Salinas Valley Business Women's Network
Salinas Valley Chamber of Commerce, Diplomat Committee
Fund Builders Alliance, Member
Leadership Salinas Valley, Class XXVI, Alumni
Promotions Assistant/Public Service Coordinator
Produced daily episodic promos for syndicated and on-air shows including writing, editing and post production of news sweeps promos. In charge of developing public service announcements for KBAK and other local stations. Assisted director with special on-air promotional events and provided station tours to local community groups.
• Volunteered to serve as a station liaison with the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, and the Kern County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Team in producing public service campaigns.
• Accomplishments include production of PSA for The Great American Smoke-out that received notice at Bakersfield advertisers recognition event.
Established Media Maven Communications, a PR and Communications consulting business, that operates under the belief that an organization’s communications needs are of the utmost importance for business growth. We offer: •Press Releases & Collateral Development •Media Relations Liaison •Public Service Announcements •Website Development/Maintenance •Spokesperson Services •Crisis Communications Plan Development •Thank You Letter Development •Media Training for Executives •Social Networking •Speech Writing Services •Strategic Presentation Review •Marketing Plan Development •Communications Plan Development •Letters of Intent Remember we’re Creating your spin…Getting you noticed.
Feb 2010 - Jun 2010
Management Analyst II / (Cable Franchise & MGTV Manager)
Responsible for oversight and management of the County of Monterey’s cable television franchises and technical broadcast contractors. Monitored and reviewed the Federal Communications Commission licenses assigned to the County and related emergency communication agencies. Oversaw franchise compliance requirements and county ordinances in accordance with common industry practices as mandated by the FCC. Also responsible for management of the Monterey County Government Television Channel. Managed the public access channel contract to ensure that the scope of work was delivered on time and within budget.
• Utilized experience in live television news production to produce a written scope of work for inclusion in a Request For Proposal for independent broadcast contractors interested in producing content for MGTV.
• Took initiative to ask for comments and support of broadcast industry insiders and contacts who provided invaluable information to RFP. Contributed several contact lists of companies interested in bidding for the contract.
• Met tight turnaround deadline to bring board order and board report, for extension of broadcast operations contract, before the Board of Supervisors in order to keep board meetings on the air in the new fiscal year.
2009 - 2010
Director of Communications & Financial Development
Initiated and administered the communications and fundraising efforts for the Association. Primary duties included association-wide branding, establishing consistent messages and increasing awareness of YMCA mission work in order to increase revenue, awareness and program participation. Provided leadership to the annual support campaign and was in charge of managing grant writing and other financial development opportunities for the Association.
• Successfully offered strategic presentation review and counsel to Soledad branch executive to regain management contract of facility upon presentation to City Council within 3 weeks of my start date. Utilized letter writing campaign to change public opinion and reposition the YMCA as lead agency in demonstrating the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
• Took initiative to enlist volunteers for grant writing and annual support campaign.
• Developed a communications and marketing plan for the corporation and branch offices.
2005 - 2009
Public Support Director
Demonstrated leadership to plan, organize, implement and evaluate the financial development, visibility and public relations programs for the American Red Cross. Organized and oversaw fundraising programs to include: direct mail, major gifts, foundation gifts, corporate gifts, planned giving, special events and grants. Acted as the primary spokesperson for the Chapter’s programs and services and provided counsel and support to the executive director, the board and all volunteer and paid staff in representing the Red Cross in the community and in the local media. Provided leadership to all financial development and public service activities of the Chapter.
• Implemented successful five year community-wide fundraiser, the Heroes Breakfast, as part of the annual fundraising campaign. Requested and received over $200,000 in in-kind support donations in order to keep costs neutral and generate actual event income.
• Visited countless donors to thank them in person for their contributions and explain how their gifts were making a difference.
• Completed hundreds of live and taped interviews to position the American Red Cross as the lead disaster response agency.
1997 - 2005
Public Relations Director
Cultivated and developed long-standing rapport with local media, volunteers, donors and members of the public. Oversaw public relations campaigns and assisted with the development and implementation of fund-raisers and events. In charge of developing and writing quarterly newsletters/annual reports, brochures, maintaining internet web page and acting as the chief spokesperson for members of the press. Organized and trained volunteers to act as public information officers in times of emergency or disaster.
• Took initiative to become the go to person for media relations and the American Red Cross on the Central Coast. Repeatedly called upon as source for TV, radio, print and online interviews.
• Volunteered to serve on national American Red Cross public affairs team disaster assignments in Smithfield, North Carolina following Hurricane Floyd in 1999 and in New York City after 9-11 in 2001.
• Dramatically increased youth volunteer representation by making live presentations at local schools to convince students to complete their community service hours with the American Red Cross.
1996 - 1997
Performed a variety of jobs as needed for the live nightly news broadcasts including: operating and downloading information to a character generator, preparing the digital video effects and ensuring that they appeared properly in the newscasts, operating a studio camera including studio floor direction, editing videotape, operation of the audio-board for the newscasts and production of daily promos for shows aired in syndication.
• Accomplishments include providing live video remote assistance for Salinas Rodeo and Share Your Holiday campaigns.