Senior Director, Marketing Operations
Joined Marketing Operations as Director of Process and Production in 2006 and advanced to Senior Director at Wal-Mart Stores. Manage staff up to 55 professionals, including the Marketing Project Management Office, Creative Production, Contract & Vendor Management, and Marketing Systems. Member of 10-member Marketing Leadership Team (MLT); one of six direct reports to Chief Marketing Officer (direct to President, Wal-Mart Stores).Strategic Responsibilities:
· Portfolio level management of all programs, initiatives, and projects ($800M budget); 2249 marketing projects completed in 2008.
· Manage contract negotiations and vendor relations for 100+ vendors and agencies of record (AOR). Set direction and accountability for RFP processes, contract standardization, vendor evaluation, and performance accountability (quarterly) as well as SOX compliance oversight. Partner closely with legal, global procurement sourcing team, and internal audit.
· Serve as champion and change agent for evaluating and introducing new technologies and systems to fully automate marketing processes.
· Manage Return on Marketing Investment (ROMI) metrics reporting to ensure project prioritization, accountability, and planning pace to reduce costs by managing timelines.
· Establish operational governance models for process, technology, and vendor management in order to clarify responsibilities and expected outcomes and to deliver quantifiable accountability.
· Define and lead ongoing process improvement for all marketing processes: from strategy to research to project management to production and execution.
· Design strategy for next-level accountability dashboards, which will closely align marketing to sales and ensure strategy, design, and execution of all initiatives are tied to measurable business outcomes.Highlights of Accomplishments:
· Led process improvement initiative to reorganize $1.5B marketing operation, which over 12 months has increased capacity by 15% to keep pace with store growth and business demands, and establish unified standards for brand consistency, store image/design to support corporate strategy to re-energize brand.
· Built Marketing Operations team from the ground up to a staff of 55 in three years - specializing in project management, creative production, global procurement, and IT.
· Identified and selected BPO partner to evaluate marketing print procurement; directed partner on redesign of systems from strategy to production, which delivered guaranteed $90M savings including a 50% reduction in staff needed to fulfill business needs.
· Introduced discipline and consistency on vendor contract negotiations; conducted a full evaluation of all 2008 agency contracts and negotiated new contract terms that delivered a $14M savings in six months. Currently creating a “game-changing” agency vendor management model that will drive greater flexibility, quality, and cost-savings.
· Primary leader responsible for selection, implementation, and change management initiative for Enterprise Marketing Management (EMM) system, which automated all marketing processes (planning, budgeting, resource management, implementation, timeline, metrics/reporting); managed third-party consulting partner on two-phased, one-year implementation. Currently working closely with cross-functional team including IT and Finance to move system in-house and eliminate dependence on consulting.
· Developed and implemented best practice marketing processes, including benchmarking world class marketing operations and leading the mission to establish Wal-Mart marketing as the first world class B-to-C marketing operation.