Jul 2003 - Nov 2005
Aug 1981 - Jun 1985
Jan 2009 - Mar 2009
- Choreographer of Anything Goes for the Drama, Theatre & Dance Department
Feb 2007 - Nov 2008
Theatre Dance Instructor
Frank Sinatra School of the Arts
- Created musical theatre dance curriculum for Junior & Senior dance majors
- Designed the Dance Department student handbook
- Developed dance curriculum for non-dance majors in the physical education department
- Taught the musical theatre dance class which included choreographing the yearly musical, and Broadway review
- Supported all other studios with backstage production assistance
- Designed and built costumes for many studio productions
- Implemented monthly student evaluations, and annual juries for Sophomore dance majors
Jan 2005 - Dec 2005
- Taught tap and jazz and created course outline for semester
- Assisted with Freshman auditions
- Monitored and evaluated student progress
Oct 2001 - Jun 2005
South Junior High School
- Responsible for developing and implementing improved dance program targeted to 7th through 9th graders in Performing Arts House of large junior high school.
- Guided 70 students per quarter in learning and increasing dance skills.
- Managed and directed dance and theater department. Work involved purchasing and budgeting.
- Designed curriculum for beginning and intermediate classes in modern and classic dance styles, including jazz and tap.
- Revamped instructional program designed to increase learning of social, cultural and historical dimensions of dance, along with choreographic principles, processes and structures.
- Provided oversight for students in viewing and analyzing various styles of dance.
- Worked with administrators and faculty to ensure dance program is incorporated into overall educational strategies.
- Interacted and collaborated with the community and performing arts organizations.
- Created, choreographed and directed 3 annual school musicals.
- Assisted with marketing and promoting junior high as performance arts school.
- Monitored and tracked student progress. Also communicate successes and concern with parents.
- Increased exposure to performing arts culture through field trips and attendance at local performances and concerts.
Aug 2003 - Nov 2004
- Worked with drama professor, theater director, music coach and 25-member cast to co-produce A Chorus Line and Grease.
- Solely responsible for developing 4-month production and practice schedule for dancers/actors/singers, set designers, costumer designers, and lighting and sound personnel.
- Choreographed dancing routines and provided instruction on steps, moves and staging.
- Assisted with community announcements, marketing and public relations efforts to promote the production.
National Dance Educators Organization, New York University, New York, NY, Feb 2005
From the Stage to the Classroom, City Center, New York, NY, 3/16/03
Young Peoples Dance Series: City Center, New York, NY-Alvin Ailey, Flamenco Farruquito, Paul Taylor, 2002-2003
The NYCBOE Dance Institute: Based on the Katherine Dunham Model, 8/17/02
- MAC & PC with Windows and Internet
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ACT! and QuickBooks
- Dutchess Community College Dance History Class – “What was it like to be a Rockette” & Alternate Careers in Dance
- Foundations of Dance Class – Taught musical theatre dance class
Dance Teacher Magazine November 2005 - “Teaching In Outreach” by Lorelei Coutts
“The Most Important quality for any artist working in Schools is flexibility,” say Karyn Tomczak, a former Rockette and Broadway performer who recently made the transition into public education. “It’s not a studio setting where the kids have signed on for the love of dance. You’re most likely to have 25 to 30 kids with varied desires, abilities, and attitudes. If you’re lucky, there will be a designated space—otherwise you may be working in a gym, library, cafeteria, classroom, or even a hallway!”
Time Management From the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern
“Reams of appreciation go to my incredibly organized, linear/digital, visual/tactile assistant Karyn who arrived like a miracle in the middle of this writing project and instantly freed my mind and time to focus on the writing of the book.”
DANCE: Tap, Jazz, Ballet
Sam Viverito, Beverly Fletcher, Barbara Denny – Buffalo, NY
Randy Skinner, Michael Owens, Phil Black – New York, NY
Mary Saunders, Joyce Hall – New York, NY
Charles Kakatzakis – New York, NY
Weist Barron – New York, NY
Arthur Mamazza, Principal South Junior High School, 2002-2004
Ms. Tomczak displays originality, resourcefulness, and creativity. Planned activities to meet the needs of the students with varied instructional activities to a wide range of pupil activities. General classroom climate is conducive to learning and a spirit of enthusiasm is present.
Shiela Fiumarello, Director of Fine & Performing Arts, Newburgh Enlarged City School District
“Ms. Tomczak gave criticism to the students in a positive and constructive manner aimed towards student achievement and improvement. The class had an atmosphere of excitement mixed with an air of expectation and attention to the business at hand. There seems to be an excellent teacher/student rapport. It is obvious that Ms. Tomczak expects her students to perform to the best of their ability at all times.”
Theresa Brown, Director of Fine & Performing Arts, Newburgh Enlarged City School District
“Ms. Tomczak has obviously established excellent classroom management techniques within the dance studio. Planning and organization were obvious throughout the lesson. Ms. Tomczak’s high expectations and non-threatening approach to assessing students’ participation and progress within the class of students a positive environment in which to learn.”
- Dance Competition Adjudicator: Headliners, Star Power, Dance Expressions
- Qualified to Judge Ms. America Pageants
Conquer Clutter with Karyn, Brooklyn, NY 2005 to Present
- A professional organization business that includes home, office and home office organizing, moving and storage assistance, basic accounting (QuickBooks).
The Container Store, New York, NY 2005-2007
- Assist customers in finding the best solution for their organizational challenges. Register sales.
WorldView Technologies Group, New York, NY 2000-2001
Project Manager/Office Manager
- Coordinated schedules for president and four employees other using SalesLogix.
- Handled paperwork and recordkeeping such as monthly reports and invoicing.
- Conducted training sessions on ACT! Software.
- Managed the flow of client projects.
Task Masters, New York, NY 2000
Personal Assistant/Office Manager
- Supported and assisted president of professional organizing firm serving resident, small business and the corporate marketplace in 14 major U.S. cities.
- Planned and coordinated, travel, schedules and details for workshops, seminars, presentations and time management coaching sessions.
- Instrumental in setting up “living model” for organization in Empire State Building showcase.
- Worked with president and subcontractors to prepare topics and textual content for television appearances.
- Handled paperwork and record keeping such as monthly reports and invoicing.
Shape CD, Inc., New York, NY 1997-1999
- Handled day-to-day office activities.
- Maintained and updated database files using ACT!
- Implemented Filing System.
- Scheduled appointments.
KL Management, New York, NY 1994-1995
Assistant Company Manager
- Organized travel arrangements for the company.
- Created Weekly Itinerary Information Sheets.
- Worked in Excel & Word.
- Coordinated company activities.
American Cancer Society, Fundraiser, Williamsport, PA
National Dance Week, Assistant Director, Poughkeepsie, NY
Career Transition for Dancers, New York, NY
Ms. Southern Erie County 1981, Ms. America Pageant Local
Top Ten Miss New York State Pageant 1981, Ms. America Pageant
Highly motivated, extremely enthusiastic Dance Instructor and Choreographer with acting and singing talent who has experience developing curriculum and directing people and projects
- Actors’ Equity Association
- Screen Actors’ Guild
- American Guild of Television and Radio Artists
- American Guild of Variety Artists
- American Federation of Teachers
- National Dance Educators Organization
- Rockette Alumnae Association