(July 2004 to October 2007)
(July 1996 to June 2001)
Served four Prime Ministers (Mr. HD Deve Gowda, Mr. IK Gujral, Mr. AB Vajpayee and Mr. Manmohan Singh) during the above periods. Was responsible for advising and assisting the Prime Minister of India in considering and taking decisions on crucial social and economic issues, particularly those related to the Planning Commission and the Ministries of Finance, Industry, Commerce, Railways, Road Transport & Highways, Civil Aviation, Shipping, Power, Petroleum & Natural Gas, Coal, Communications, Health & Family Welfare, Environment, Minority Affairs etc. Also serviced the Task Force on Infrastructure and the Group on Telecommunications set up by the Prime Minister to formulate the National Highways Development Program and the National Telecom Policy respectively. Also serviced the Prime Minister’s Council on Trade and Industry as well the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council. This provided valuable experience in formulation of public policy at the highest level of the federal government and monitoring and evaluation of development programs at the national level.
- Played an important role in the formulation of the National Highways Development Program and conceived the Annuity based BOT model for highway construction as a viable alternative to the Toll based BOT model. The NHDP continues to be one of the most important PPP based initiatives of the GoI for upgrading and building much needed infrastructure, a key constraint to India’s economic growth.
- While servicing the Group on Telecommunications set up by the Prime Minister under the Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission, participated in the formulation of the National Telecom Policy 1999, which facilitated the opening up of India’s telecom sector to private investment.
- Drafted the policy for the development of Petroleum, Chemicals & Petro-Chemicals Investment Regions (PCPIRs). Assisted in steering the draft policy till approval by the Cabinet and notification. This would be the basis of development of the petroleum, chemicals & petro-chemicals industry in the country in future. Policies relating to investment regions for other sectors are being prepared, using the PCPIR Policy as a template.
- Assisted in steering certain policy initiatives in the Coal Sector which would go a long way in the opening up of the sector, increasing coal production and enhancing energy security. These include de-reservation of a substantial number of coal blocks to make them available for captive mining by power producers, and introduction of the competitive bidding mechanism for allocation of coal blocks for captive mining.
- Played a key role in formulation and approval of the Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Kolkata railway freight corridor project and the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor Project. These mega projects are now under implementation.
- Drafted the Prime Minister’s New 15-Point Programme for the Welfare of Minorities, which was approved by Cabinet in June, 2006. Was also instrumental in the appointment of the Sachar Committee and the conceptualization of its terms of reference. The Committee presented its report on the social, economic and educational status of the Muslim community to the Prime Minister in November, 2006. These two initiatives resulted in shifting the discourse on the issue of backwardness of the Muslim Community from emotional, symbolic measures to rational, data based, developmental interventions.
- Was a member of the supporting delegation accompanying the Prime Minister on his visit to the USA in July 2005 when the Indo-US Nuclear Agreement was signed.