Motivated and driven, with a passion to promote positive mental health in the community, Karen enjoys utilizing her ability to understand and develop effective treatment plans to help individuals maximize their quality of life. Karen has extensive experience working with the at-risk adolescent population as well as experience working with families in-home. Karen sees her clients through an existential and relational-cultural lens and utilize solution focused, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational interviewing, multicultural therapy and reality therapy strategies as well as mindful based concepts in treatment planning.
Sep 2009 - Aug 2012
Masters Mental Health Counseling
- Walden University’s M.S. in Mental Health Counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- 90 total quarter credits
Oct 2014 - Present
Psychiatric Therapist II, School based therapist
- School based therapy services including intake, assessment and treatment planning for Dodge County participating schools.
- Outpatient mental health services including intake, assessment and treatment planning.
Sep 2014 - Present
SCAODA Marijuana Ad-hoc Committee
- Collaboration with Ad-hoc committee to develop a recommendation report focused on marijuana that will assist communities in the state of Wisconsin deal with marijuana issues.
Aug 2012 - Present
Community and Family Therapist
- In-home family therapist
- Clinic based services
- Psychosexual assessments, individual therapy, family, and group therapy for adolescent sex offending population.
Aug 2011 - Aug 2012
Mental Health Therapist Intern
- In-home family therapy
- Clinic based therapy
- Mandated driving under the influence group psychoeducation
Sep 2010 - Present
Steering Committee/Executive Committee
- Multi-agency collaboration in Fond du Lac County to support the socio-emotional needs of children.
Sep 2010 - Present
- Multi-agency collaboration to decrease underage drinking in Fond du Lac County.
- Multi-agency collaboration to educate community to the dangers of prescription drug abuse.
- Facilitation of annual multi community drug drop.
- Permanent site 24/7 drug drop.
- Passing of the Social Host Ordinance.
Sep 2008 - Aug 2011
Family Support Specialist
- Parenting education
- Psychoeducational groups - Anger management, healthy relationships
- Community education
- Secure juvenile detention psychoeducational programming.
- Family mediation
- One on one individual problem solving
Sep 2008 - Sep 2010
Task Force Member
Sep 2006 - Sep 2008
Youth Service Specialist
- Support at-risk adolescents and their families
- Goal to strengthen families, prevent family dissolution, and promote self sufficiency
- 24 hour crisis line
- Outreach services
- Family Mediation
- Informational presentations, workshops on building healthy relationships, parenting strategies, anger management
Evidence based, early intervention program targeting 12- to 19-year-olds who display the early stages of alcohol or drug use problems.
Strengthening Families Facilitator
Parenting Education and Support
Love & Logic Parenting Model Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS)