User Experience Manager
When I owned Fresh Pages, I became a product design consultant for PentaSafe, hired to bring a consistent look, feel and functionality to disparate web products. They asked me to come on board full-time and establish a new User Experience department within the R&D organization.
I built a usability lab, hired staff and took responsibility for the product design, documentation, usability and packaging for the VigilEnt product line of 35+ products - a cross-platform, integrated security solution designed for large enterprise environments. While there, I performed the following tasks:
Creative Direction and Brand Management
- Established, refined and maintained unique corporate creative strategy (working closely with Marcom/Product Marketing), designed standards and systems including corporate identity, product logos, product packaging, product presentations and product line design.
- Established overall objectives of software products and web sites relating to branding and corporate positioning.
- Defined product naming, product taxonomy, corporate and product identity standards, product line hierarchy and integrated communications.
- Designed, enhanced and translated the corporate brand identity to develop a complementary product line identity three times in under three years.
Visual and User Interface Design
- Developed product design strategy, including wireframes, information architecture, style guides, interaction design, interface design and visual design for software and browser-based applications.
- Concepted early prototypes of multiple enterprise products working within one GUI framework, and defined integration standards, navigation and GUI standards to achieve the seamless experience of using one application.
- Consulted developers on GUI screen design and prototyped screen layouts for them to develop from using a mixture of Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio and HTML.
- Created simulated software using Photoshop and HTML for user testing and field validation.
- Created visual design images, icons and HTML templates for scores of products and projects.
- Wrote test scripts and performed user testing and usability evaluations of software and web sites.
- Interpreted market requirements and contributed user requirements to product specifications based on feedback from field studies and user testing.
- Performed market research including competitive analysis, customer surveys and user interviews and customer advisory boards.
- Defined user experience processes as well as help define the overall product development and management process used by R&D and Marketing.
- Conducted UE design reviews (part of the process) prior to software testing for cosmetic corrections, usability issues and consistency in terminology, GUI design and navigation.
- Defined Beta processes and provided Beta kit materials and Beta program guidance to product marketing. Co-wrote a Beta testing whitepaper that was published in a security-focused magazine.
- Managed team of UE professionals, including visual designers, web developers, usability engineers, lab coordinators, lab support, technical writers, documentation designers and administrative assistants.
- Managed long-term and short-term contractors. Performed all personnel-related tasks: MBO’s, quarterly and annual reviews, hiring, firing, salary increases, performance plans, reorganizations and career path guidance.
- Researched and specified hardware and software configurations for a $90,000.00 usability lab, hired audio-visual firm and managed build-out. Managed lab maintenance and employee training or software and peripheral equipment.