I'm a senior communications professional coming up on 15 years progressive experience designing and implementing internal and external communications for public and private high-profile organizations. I take a strategic approach that always starts with our organization's objectives to understand and meet the needs of our diverse audiences with targetted, implementable solutions. I love what I do, and can't imagine wanting to do anything else. My mantra is "Things happen. Figure it out, and get the job done!" Having plenty of flexibility, respect for everyone I work with, and a healthy sense of humour help me implement that mantra consistently and successfully.Good communication is essential for business success regardless of industry or role, and making that happen really is my passion!
International Association of Business Communicators
1) Canadian National Institute for the Blind - digitally narrating and recording talking books for the visually impaired.
Apr 2013 - Present
Business Communication Manager
Jul 2012 - Nov 2012
Senior Manager, Strategy & Communications
Creation and implementation of varied communication strategies; liaison with global communication colleagues. Writing/editing diverse communication materials, print and online. Creating and facilitating communications for cross-functional projects. Working closely with, writing for, and counselling senior leaders.
- Planning and implementation of communications supporting the re-structuring of the employee communication program
- Assisting in the planning and communications for a global senior leader offsite
- Providing coaching and mentoring for one Communication Manager direct report
Jun 2011 - Jan 2012
Supporting client communications with high-profile clients across CBRE's Central Ontario [GTA] Region. Create and deliver varied communication, information management, and support strategies, including documentation and counselling to ensure clients are effectively updated on a consistent and responsive basis about all building management matters.Work closely with on-site Facilities Managers, Regional Facilities Managers, client contacts and other colleagues to review, refine and improve communication processes and tools for continuously improved service to clients.Project management:-Best Practises identification-Employee Satisfaction Survey
Nov 2009 - Nov 2010
Senior Manager, Communications (Contract Role)
Creation and management of internal and external communication strategies; development and implementation of communication best practises. Writing / editing communication materials, print and online. Counselling of, and writing for senior executives. HR communications, Recruiting communications. Management of two direct reports.
- Planning and implementation of all communications supporting the re-launch of the firm’s external website, including employee and client communications.
- Planning communications for the creation of a company-wide internal web portal
- Creating diverse communications supporting the company’s Corporate Social Responsibility programs, including website content, speeches, media responses and internal communications
- Creating a variety of communication materials to support the launch of an “Internal University” for employee training and development
- Providing coaching and mentoring for two Communication Advisor direct reports
Feb 2008 - May 2010
Communication Manager (Contract role)
Creation and management of internal and external communication strategies; development and implementation of communication best practises. Writing / editing diverse communication materials, both print and online. Management of Intranet site and external company website. Counselling of, and writing for senior executives. Investor communications. Event planning. Hiring and supervision of interns.
- Created and delivered communications surrounding the annual 50 Best Employers process. For 2009, the organization moved from number 45 to the Top 10 among the Best Employers in Canada.
- Research and writing of the company's second annual application to the Macleans Top 100 Employers competition. The organization was named to the Top 100 list for the first time as a result.
- Leading the implementation of company-wide Code of Conduct, including documentation and training of managers to assist with employee discussions.
- Facilitation of, and participation in the delivery of the quarterly financial results release.
- Communication and management of the Employee Recognition Awards program.
- Hiring, training and management of 3 communications interns throughout the year.
2004 - 2008
Corporate Communications Specialist
Management of internal and external communications strategies; development and implementation of communication best practises. Design and delivery of diverse marketing and employee communications both print and online. Counselling of, and writing for senior executives. Responsible for branding standards and trademark usage. Canadian liaison with Global Communications team.
- Created and implemented a “from scratch” strategic plan for the newly created corporate communications group, working closely with senior executive team, business units and human resources.
- Development of an advertising and branding program to expand the company profile through appropriate placement in industry publications and other industry related venues
- Implementation of a new global branding structure in the Canadian business, including educational materials, usage guidelines and communication support
- Management and updating of corporate communications intranet page with tips, tools and communication-focused documentation for business units
- Writing and editing of materials for the Canadian company external website
- Development, delivery and results analysis of internal and external paper and online surveys, to gather and incorporate employee and customer feedback into strategic business planning.
2003 - 2004
Senior Communication Consultant
Communications project management for internal clients; development and implementation of communication best practises. Design and delivery of marketing materials to support regional sales teams. Counselling of senior executives. Organizing and delivering special events. Contributing to the online employee newsletter. Responsible for branding standards and trademark usage.
- Strategy creation and delivery of online functionality for broker partners. Through the creative use of documentation and one-on-one communications, program achieved buy-in and participation of 100% of targeted brokers to use the online tool.
- Design and roll-out of the annual financial review in online format. Creation of theme, information management of cross-company divisions, selection of visuals and overseeing of the graphic artists implementing the review. Financial review delivered with zero budget and on time.
- Created and delivered an employee satisfaction survey rating the annual employee meetings.
2002 - 2003
This year was spent working towards completion of my Public Relations Certification, and doing volunteer communications work for my local IABC chapter.
1999 - 2002
The Loyalty Group (AIR MILES Reward Program)
Setting and delivery of communication objectives for internal and external audiences; present continuous improvement opportunities to Executive level and negotiate implementation. Creation and implementation of crisis and issues management communication plans; media coaching of Executives for contentious issues. Writing and editing of all internal communications material; review and edit all marketing collateral..Manage one direct report.Mentor and evaluate management staff for communications effectiveness.
- Strategy creation and delivery for September 11, and Canada 3000 Airlines bankruptcy situations, resultingin immediate, thorough implementation of action plans, ensuring support of both customers and employees.
- Re-designed employee newsletter resulting in a 21% increase in employees reading newsletter and understanding organizational initiatives.
·Designed and delivered Human Resources documentation introducing RRSP/DPSP program,flexible benefits plan, and reward and recognition programs, resulting in accurate and successful implementation of all programs.
·Organized and delivered bi-annual employee general meetings including writing of Executive presentations, management of venue and audio-visual suppliers, and follow-up evaluation of event.
·Implemented quarterly employee focus groups, resulting in developing and maintaining employee engagement in company objectives, and improvements in customer service.
1996 - 1999
Senior Information Officer
Deliver strategic communication for internal groups, implement continuous improvement opportunities. Manage 3-member issues-management team. Writing and editing of all internal communications. Establish and deliver quarterly and annual communication targets.
- Recommended, implemented, staffed and managed a new division, handling all escalated customer issues, resulting infaster, more sensitive resolution of serious issues, and avoiding negative public attention to the organization.
- Invited by the Ontario Insurance Commission to participate on Government-Industry committee to review and vet processes to increase cooperation between Insurance Companies and the Government.