May 2010 - May 2011
Elected Board Member/Volunteer
- Maintained/updated community web page with latest events, committee members, resident listings, business contacts and other pertinent information utilizing HTML and SharePoint.
- Prepared and distributed monthly and occasional breaking news email updates to residents, informing them about events or improvement efforts in the neighborhood.
- Maintained 15 email distribution lists and served as co-administrator of the Woodlawn Facebook page.
Apr 2007 - Nov 2009
Performance Communications Specialist
- Oversaw, planned and prioritized work of two communication team personnel.
- Designed and implemented more than 24 communications plans including a comprehensive department communications plan for about 500 employees.
- Advised management regarding more than 100 communications strategies that supported performance, business needs and department initiatives.
- Contributed on 12 project teams representing communications inside the department and throughout the company.
Nov 2005 - Apr 2007
Duke Center for Human Genetics
- Drafted and edited more than 50 budget justifications, letters of recommendation and biographical paragraphs.
- Designed 10 study specific newsletters and brochures.
- Reviewed, edited, formatted and submitted about 30 manuscripts, galley proofs, book chapters and book reviews.
- Compiled, formatted and submitted more than 20 grants to the NIH and foundations – meeting deadlines and assisting in securing funding.
May 2004 - Jul 2004
Mary's Center for Maternal and Child Care
- Compiled and submitted more than 20 proposals for funding.
- Researched funding sources, including foundations, corporations and government sources.
- Maintained files of guidelines, grants and correspondence with funders.
- Recorded proposal report deadlines and submissions in the grants calendar using Excel.
May 2001 - Dec 2003
Contract Communications Specialist
General Electric Nuclear Energy
- Developed daily email updates and weekly newsletters for about 800 staff.
- Composed more than 50 messages, videos and presentations for business leaders utilizing PowerPoint.
- Constructed and implemented a digital archive for internal communications utilizing Front Page and Excel - replacing a cumbersome process.
- Designed and maintained internal Web pages for HR and Communications.
- Served as photographer and videographer for internal and external use.
Jun 1999 - Mar 2001
Bachelors of Arts
- Served as News Editor of the student newspaper from 08/2000-05/2001.
- PR internship with UNC Wilmington University Relations from 05/2000-08/2000.
- College courses include: Theory and Practice of Editing, Broadcast Journalism, Public Relations, Advanced Public Relations and Media Law.
Aug 1992 - May 1996
Waubonsee Community College