Executive Director (Banking)
ICB Global Management
ICB Global Management acts as the nerve centre for the ICB Banking Group. It coordinates and manages the activities of the Group which has banking activities in 13 countries in Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe. Its Holding Company is listed in the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange (www.icbankingroup.com)
As Executive Director (Banking), I oversee the activities of thirteen (13) banks under the banner of International Commercial Bank (or ICB) in the following countries :
- Republic of Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- Indonesia ( PT Bank ICB Bumiputera)
- Bangladesh (ICB Islamic Bank)
Total asset size of these banks is USD 1.4 billion with 145 retail branches and 3,000 employees.
My responsibilities include :
- Supervision of CEOs and Senior Management
- Day-to-day Management decisions on operations, procedures, accounting, human capital and IT.
- Risk Management
- Financial performance including P&L and Asset growth responsibilities
- Strategy and BusinessPlans
- Supervision of all Credit and Loans activity of the Group
- Improved financial performance which has enabled the Holding Company to list in the London Stock Exchange.
- New strategic initiatives and marketing plans to improve product range and customer base. This include introduction of loan and deposit products both to the Corporate and Consumer markets. Asset growth has been on an average of 30% per annum.
- Improved Risk Management with more frequent country visits to review corporate governance, tighter Internal audit reviews to monitor Operational risk and Desk reviews for Credit and Market risk
- Re-engineering of processes to improve efficiency. Common policies and procedures have been introduced over the 13 banks. A common branding platform is also presently being worked on.
- Improved Non-performing loan levels at Banks with better quality appraisals and more proactive collection processes.
- International and local awards for Banks within the Group. This includes “Bank of the Year” awards in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 by The Banker, a London based publication and Global Finance, a publication from USA.
Among successful concurrent projects that had been undertaken were :
- Setting up of banks in Sierra Leone (2004), Gambia (2005), Senegal (2006), Djibouti (2006), Malawi (2008) and Laos (2008). Presentlyinvolved in setting a new bank in Zambia.
- Negotiation and acquisition of a new Core Banking system for banks within the Group. Over the last 2 years roll-out of banking software have been successfully completed in 9 banks within the Group. Presently launching the second phase of electronic products.
- Completed sale of a discount house in Ghana and assisted in sale of two (2) ICB banks in Hungary and Czech Republic. Sale of these entities were with substantial profits to shareholders.