MBA with 24 years of banking experience in Credit, Banking Operations, Trade Finance and Management of Group banks. Strong leadership skills developed under a pressurised environment where resoucefulness, stamina and flexibility are required. Experience covers a number of countries in Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe. Looking for opportunities to utilise skills
Jan 2002 - Present
Executive Director (Banking)
ICB Global Management acts as the nerve centre for the ICB Banking Group. It coordinates and manages the activities of the Group which has banking activities in 13 countries in Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe. Its Holding Company is listed in the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange (www.icbankingroup.com)
As Executive Director (Banking), I oversee the activities of thirteen (13) banks under the banner of International Commercial Bank (or ICB) in the following countries :
- Republic of Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- Indonesia ( PT Bank ICB Bumiputera)
- Bangladesh (ICB Islamic Bank)
Total asset size of these banks is USD 1.4 billion with 145 retail branches and 3,000 employees.
My responsibilities include :
- Supervision of CEOs and Senior Management
- Day-to-day Management decisions on operations, procedures, accounting, human capital and IT.
- Risk Management
- Financial performance including P&L and Asset growth responsibilities
- Strategy and BusinessPlans
- Supervision of all Credit and Loans activity of the Group
- Improved financial performance which has enabled the Holding Company to list in the London Stock Exchange.
- New strategic initiatives and marketing plans to improve product range and customer base. This include introduction of loan and deposit products both to the Corporate and Consumer markets. Asset growth has been on an average of 30% per annum.
- Improved Risk Management with more frequent country visits to review corporate governance, tighter Internal audit reviews to monitor Operational risk and Desk reviews for Credit and Market risk
- Re-engineering of processes to improve efficiency. Common policies and procedures have been introduced over the 13 banks. A common branding platform is also presently being worked on.
- Improved Non-performing loan levels at Banks with better quality appraisals and more proactive collection processes.
- International and local awards for Banks within the Group. This includes “Bank of the Year” awards in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 by The Banker, a London based publication and Global Finance, a publication from USA.
Among successful concurrent projects that had been undertaken were :
- Setting up of banks in Sierra Leone (2004), Gambia (2005), Senegal (2006), Djibouti (2006), Malawi (2008) and Laos (2008). Presentlyinvolved in setting a new bank in Zambia.
- Negotiation and acquisition of a new Core Banking system for banks within the Group. Over the last 2 years roll-out of banking software have been successfully completed in 9 banks within the Group. Presently launching the second phase of electronic products.
- Completed sale of a discount house in Ghana and assisted in sale of two (2) ICB banks in Hungary and Czech Republic. Sale of these entities were with substantial profits to shareholders.
Nov 1999 - Dec 2001
Chief Executive Officer
International Commercial Bank, Ghana is part of the ICB Banking Group. It presently has a paid-up capital of USD 10 million and 12 branches.
The CEO is responsible for:
- Leadership of day-to-day operations
- Strategy and Business Direction
- Financial Performance of all units
- Internal Control and Operating Procedures
- Risk Management
- Restructured business direction and strategy of the Bank and changes resulted in profitability and asset growth of 40 to 50% per annum.
- Increased branch network from 1 branch in 1999 to 4 branches in 2001 and new branches broke-even ithin 6 months of opening. (Bank now has 12 branches)
- Increase in Deposits due to customer-focused initiatives and better relationship management.
- Introduced range of consumer and corporate products including consumer loans and import/export financing.
- Improved loan quality and Risk Management focus.
- Substantially increased the Trade Finance and Remittance business of the Bank.
- Achieved overall rating of “Good” for years 2000, 2001 and 2002 from Central Bank of Ghana Inspectors
As a result of achievements and leadership in Ghana, I was requested to assist in the Management of the Group and was promoted to General Manager of the Group.
I continue to supervise the Bank in my role as Executive Director of the Group and in 2006, the Bank was awarded "Bank of the Year" by The Banker.
Nov 1997 - Oct 1999
Chief Executive Officer
I pioneered the setting up of the Bank in Dar-es-Salaam with a paid-up capital of USD4.2 million. This involved among other things negotiating for approvals, obtaining premises, recruitment, development of Policies & Procedures and development of the IT systems.
Achievements include :
- The new Bank successfully began operations inFeb. 1998 after 6 months of preparation
- The Bank had the distinction of breaking-even in its first quarter of operations and this was achieved primarily through Forex trading, money market operations and tight cost controls.
- Policies and Procedures were developed in the areas of Branch Operations, Credit, Treasury, Forex, Trade Finance, Fund Transfers and Accounts. These were approved by the Central Bank.
- Prior to my departure in 1999, several Corporate and middle market customers were acquired.
Due to my performance in Tanzania, I was requested by the Group to help to restructure the Bank in Ghana.
I presently continue to oversee the Bank in Tanzania in my capacity as Executive Dirctor of the Group.
Oct 1983 - Oct 1997
A summary of responsibilities is as follows ;
- Manager, Main Branch (1995-1997)
- Manager, Subang Jaya Branch (1992-1995)
- Manager, Section 14 Branch (1991-1992)
- Manager, Tasek Branch,Ipoh (1989-1991)
- Account Officer, Local Corporate Dept, Head Office (1988)
- Head, Credit Department, Kuala Terengganu (1985-1987)
- Credit Officer, Head Office (1983-1985)
In my last position at the Bank as Main Branch Manager, I managed a portfolio of:
- Loans : MYR1,400 million (USD 400 million)
- Deposit : MYR 400 million (USD 115 million)
- Trade Bills : MYR 500 million (USD 140million)
The Main Branch contributed to almost 15% of the Bank's profits.
Among the concurrent assignments at the Bank were also the Centralization of two (2) Trade Finance Centers and two (2) Loan Security Centers covering 10 branches and 14 branches respectively. This involved the Re-engineering of processes and Change Management.
Over the 14 years at the Bank, I earned several commendations both for sales and operational efficiency.
The years in the bank allowed me to develop core competencies in all areas of banking. These include areas of Consumer (Credit Cards, Unit Trust, Mortgages, Personal loans) and Corporate (Corporate Loans, Trade Finance, Cash Management) banking.