Director of Internal Audit
OM Group, Inc.
$1.7B (2008) public manufacturer of specialty chemicals and advanced materials and the world's largest producer and refiner of Cobalt. Until recently, OMG was also the world's sixth largest producer of Nickel. OMG currently operates a Cobalt mine, smelter, refinery, and numerous factories throughout Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America.
- Established the first internal audit department at OMG in a difficult operating environment following a restatement and internal fraud investigation that resulted in significant turnover in executive management. Recruited internal audit professionals based in the U.S. and Asia and manage a flexible staffing agreement of two to twelve people with an annual budget in excess of $2 million. Primary reporting responsibility is to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors and executive management.
- Teamed with the CFO and operational management to rebuild the global system of internal controls from the entity level to the operating level following OMG's restatement and internal fraud investigation.
- Develop and execute an annual internal audit plan that is continuously updated to reflect OMG's evolving risk environment. The plan is based on a value driver concept linking strategy, operating objectives, and risks to our internal audits, which clearly demonstrates how our audit activities support the overall corporate strategy.
- Deployed ACL (a continuous controls auditing tool) throughout the global SAP environment to monitor compliance with key policies, help detect possible fraud, and verify the operating effectiveness of certain key controls. Currently expanding its use into several additional areas within the organization.
- Collaborate with senior management on OMG's ongoing global SAP implementation and corresponding process improvement initiatives. This includes assisting in establishing project governance strategies, participating as an active member of the Steering Committee, and conducting system implementation reviews.
- Designed the Audit Committee governance calendar and re-designed the committee's charter, which together organize the committee's responsibilities and set the key objectives for all regular committee meetings. Actively contribute to setting the Audit Committee agenda for each of the eight meetings held throughout the year and assist in the preparation and review of the Audit Committee meeting minutes.
- Implemented OMG's first global ERM assessment, which included identifying the key enterprise risks and working with the executive management team and the Board of Directors to prioritize and develop appropriate remedial actions. Continue to play an active role in OMG's ongoing ERM process.
- Designed and implemented OMG's first global compliance and ethics program and currently chair the compliance and ethics committee, which oversees the program and OMG's anonymous reporting tool. The program is based on the U.S. Federal Sentencing Guidelines and develops policies and training in thirteen countries and five languages on subjects such as anti-corruption (including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act), fair competition (including Antitrust and European Union competition laws), and OMG's Code of Conduct.
- Led two FCPA investigations and numerous fraud investigations throughout the world, including the Democratic Republic of Congo, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Canada, and the U.S. All led to significant changes in OMG's internal control environment and impacted OMG's regional management structure.
- Active member of OMG's SEC disclosure committee and various project specific committees, including those focused on cost reduction, policy improvement, and fraud.
- Developed OMG's SOX strategy and managed the global implementation at all of OMG's domestic and international sites. Coordinate ongoing work closely with the external auditors in order to identify efficiencies and opportunities to increase their reliance on OMG's internal work. Reduced SOX compliance costs by over 50% within two years by creating global SOX teams embedded within certain locations/business units and sharpening OMG's focus on risk.
- Partnered with the management team in the design of OMG's first set of global accounting, information technology, and compliance related policies.
- Extensive international travel and experience working with diverse cultures within Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America.