A more comprehensive portfolio of my work is available at:
I am a recent college graduate, specializing in language and politics, with experience in both writing/editing and political organizing.
Sep 2008 - Present
Lead Assistant Director
- Helped strategize and direct the current Save the Children fundraising and public education campaign in Washington, DC.
- Played a key role in planning and executing fundraising, voter contact and persuasion, and Get Out The Vote campaigns for the 2008 Election in DC and Richmond, VA.
- Recruited, deployed and managed teams of canvassers and volunteers for both street and door-to-door canvassing.
- Performed administrative duties in a campaign office.
- Coordinated with directors from a variety of partner organizations, including Environment America, the DNC, Work for Progress, the League of Conservation Voters and Save the Children.
Dec 2007 - Sep 2008
- After leaving position as Senior Writer/Editor, joined publisher's freelance writing and editing team.
- Wrote and edited magazine articles, test materials and books within a variety of timeframes.
- Consulted with the magazine's Senior English Editor and Executive Editor on future projects and subjects.
Apr 2008 - Sep 2008
- Developed and wrote blog posts for the eHow website based on a pool of assignments on a variety of subject matter areas.
Apr 2008 - Sep 2008
- Developed and wrote blog posts on European club soccer for Orble.com's pool of sports blogs.
- Administered all aspects of a domain-level blog including layout, RSS feeds and reader interactivity (comments, polls, etc.).
- Recognized for consistently high readership and quality by Orble.com administrators.
May 2008 - Sep 2008
- Contributed to the Union-Bulletin, a daily covering southeastern Washington state news.
- Researched and wrote articles on topics determined by the newspaper's City Editor in accordance with AP Style guidelines.
Mar 2007 - Dec 2007
Senior English Editor/Writer
- Oversaw the publication of a monthly educational magazine.
- Held ultimate responsibility for the correctness and style of all of the magazine's English copy.
- Worked with and led a team of editors.
- Hired and managed freelancers, including assigning and monitoring work.
- Wrote and collaborated on projects including magazine articles, test materials and books.
- Provided English expertise to other company departments, Taiwanese newsmedia and government agencies.
- Prepared and presented a weekly radio news broadcast.
- Worked closely with the Executive Editor in all aspects of the magazine publishing process from conception to publication.
- Was integral in placing the magazine consistently among the best-regarded in the country.
- Gained recognition as among the best foreign employees in the company's history by Ivy League's founder and CEO, Prof. Peter Lai.
Nov 2006 - Mar 2007
- Taught English to classes of young students ranging in level from kindergarten to fifth grade.
- Independently developed lesson plans, organized classrooms and created and directed activities.
- Led field trips to various locations around the country.
- Demonstrated excellent independent organization and self-motivation skills in working with kids and overseeing the classroom environment.
- Interacted and cooperated with other teachers and staff at the schools.
- Consistently received very high reviews from students, parents and Chinese-speaking co-teachers.
Aug 2002 - May 2006
Bachelor of Arts
I attended Pitzer College on that school's highest academic scholarship, the Trustees Fellowship. While at Pitzer, I studied both language and politics.
Aug 2004 - Dec 2004
Universidad de Sevilla
I attended the University of Seville's extension program in Seville, Spain for a semester during my Junior year of college. My course of study in this program focused on Spanish language and European Poltics and History. While part of the program, I participated in the publication of a student magazine, writing and editing articles.