Innovative, inspirational Senior Operations Executive with an exemplary record for driving multi-million dollar revenue increases. Excellent reputation for developing high-performance teams to improve operational performance, provide innovative product solutions, and generate new business growth opportunities. Recognized for creating and implementing strategies that turn around deficiencies into winning outcomes, both domestically and internationally. Extensive leadership experience in serving on Board of Director committees domestically and internationally. Entrepreneurially spirited with excellent analytical and strategic-planning skills and strong business and financial acumen.
- Strategic Operations Expert - Produced $50M of new business by expanding market reach through the forging of global relationships and leveraging of relationships with high-profile partners. Sourced $100M for the company-at-large, negotiated terms that offset $2.8M in annual customer givebacks.
- Enterprise Strategist & Business Development - Awarded $100M+ of new business over the life of the programs for key accounts, which contributed to the growth of the company from $71M to $315M+. Restructured operations utilizing lean manufacturing methods to increase capacity on high-margin product lines and improve ROA nearly 40%. Expanded company with startup of new facilities in Hermosillo, Mexico and Mezolak, Hungary, generating $25M in incremental new business.
- Consummate Innovator in Value Extraction & Cost Redundancy - Streamlined company operations, eliminating $97M+ in excess costs. Returned $70M cash to the corporation. Relocated under-utilized assets to lower-cost manufacturing centers, conserving $5M+ capital and improving RONAE. Increased business unit margins 35% through continuous improvement and lean manufacturing initiatives.
CORE LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
Managing P&L and Multi-Million-Dollar Budgets | Cost Analysis, Reduction & Control | Product Development & Launch | Lean Manufacturing | Acquisitions, Divestitures & Due Diligence | Strategic Sales, Marketing & Business Plans | Global Sourcing & Off-Shoring | Team & Consensus Building | Business Integrations | Multi-Plant Operations Management | Business Development & Revenue Generation | Multicultural Global Business Leadership | Crisis & Change Management | Turnarounds, Consolidations & Reorganizations | Establishing International Presence
2013 - 2014
Chief Operating Officer & Board Director
Proteus Innovative Technologies, LLC.
Recruited to lead the formation and startup of a new venture enterprise funded by an Angel Investor.
Full P&L responsibility to develop, market and introduce an advanced line of products for the commercial roofing market. Tasked with executing a national growth strategy to introduce the products in a nationwide roll-out by geographical sectors over the next three to five years. Challenged with meeting objectives while minimizing expenses.
- Reduced planned operating expenses 48% by establishing and imposing stringency measures.
- Reduced budgeted Capex $620K by qualifying and utilizing outside vendors.
- Improved Free Cash Flow 73%.
2010 - 2012
Director of Operations
Mid-Ohio Educational Service Center(MOESC)
Retained on a two year contract funded by a state grant to improve operational efficiencies and reduce costs in the Ohio Public Education System.
On contract to the Galion City School District, a $50M educational complex housing 2000 K-12 students in four newly constructed facilities located on a 70-acre campus. Provided oversight and management of the district's operations: transportation, food service, building & grounds, custodial/maintenance and technology. Represented the district at Board of Education meetings. Challenged with high transportation and energy costs and inefficient maintenance work-order system.
- Implemented efficiency improvements in transportation by reducing the number of bus routes, resulting in a 13% improvement in cost/mile and a 10.4% improvement in state-ridership efficiency measures.
- Generated $8.9K annual cost savings by analyzing and providing justification to purchase new energy-efficient stadium lights that were 70% more efficient. Oversaw implementation of three energy-saving projects under Ohio HB 264 that saved the district $80K.
- Implemented an online maintenance work-order system that received recognition from the Ohio School Board Association and was the subject of a presentation, which was made at their 2011 annual Capital Conference.
2008 - 2010
President/Business Unit Leader
A Division of Actuant Corporation - selected as one of "America's 400 Best Big Companies" by Forbes - a leading designer and manufacturer of custom-engineered electric and manual steps, fluid power, mechanical and electric-mechanical actuation systems with approximately $50M in annual revenue.
Led a team of executives, including leaders of finance, operations, supply chain, product engineering, R&D, sales, customer service, quality assurance and HR functions. Managed relations with 164 non-union employees at multiple locations. Supported sales teams, closing major deals and developing new business. Challenged with a rapidly deteriorating economy, declining sales/wrong-product mix, high business costs: labor, overhead and balance sheet deterioration.
- Streamlined organization, reducing workforce 59%, establishing more efficient operations to cut breakeven point by 40% within six months and consolidating two facilities into one to achieve significant savings ($4.8M).
- Regained two key accounts valued at $3M by working with sales team to recapture lost customers.
- Created innovation team that used customer feedback to design four new products within six-months that provided the potential to generate a $4-$5M incremental new-business pipeline and gained industry recognition.
- Saved $6M+ by reducing manufacturing costs, cutting expenses by 47%+ on an annualized basis.
- Reduced SG&A costs by nearly $4M - more than 34% annually.
- Cut accounts receivable outstanding balances by 74% with a weekly review and monitoring strategy.
- Saved $700K by reducing cash warranty expenses - a 40% savings over previous year.
- Reduced gross inventories $2.3M (21%).
2007 - 2008
Vice President of Operations/Consultant
Evergreen Plastics, LLC.
Family-owned recycling enterprise with $33M in revenues, specializing in recycling plastic PET bottles into reusable bottle flake, crystallized pellets, and polyester strapping for the food, beverage, packaging, and consumer markets. Ranked as one of the top PET recyclers in the nation.
Led company operations, directing a team of seven direct reports and overseeing 200 non-union employees in a fast-paced, 24/7 manufacturing environment. Designed and implemented new policies and procedures to improve safety and operations. Challenged with leading a new location, improving operations, and building a new team.
- Increased revenues by almost $7M (23%) by ramping up sales and expanding into new markets.
- Elevated operating profits by $1M (22%) by minimizing expenses and maximizing efficiency.
- Coached and mentored employees, helping staff members reach their potential and improving company financial performance to enable a record gain-sharing bonus for all employees.
2005 - 2006
President & CEO
Creative Engineered Polymer Products, LLC.
Led $200M engineered plastic and rubber company through transition via private equity reorganization (see position below).
Managed P&L and oversaw workforce of 1200, operating in 14 locations worldwide. Maintained key accounts and retained staff during transition. Involved in selling the company to a private equity group. It was necessary to keep 1200 employees located in 14 separate global locations focused and continuing to perform, retain key staff members and maintain key business accounts. Challenged with bringing to fruition a supplemental acquisition that was underway to expand the product line and gain new customers.
- Acquired $30M business that expanded product lines and broadened customer base.
2001 - 2005
Carlisle Engineered Products, Inc.
A $315M+ leading designer and manufacturer of highly engineered plastic and rubber components for the automotive, construction, lawn & garden, office furniture, appliance, and recreational industries. Ranked 86th of the top 100 plastic processors in the U.S.; the 127th largest OEM parts supplier to N.A.; the 9th largest supplier of custom blow-molded components, and 48th largest in injection molding.
Led a core team of five direct reports and 1800 union and non-union employees in 15 facilities across the United States and Mexico. Selected by the company to serve as a member on the Board of Directors for two joint venture companies: 1998 to 2005 - LANDER CARLISLE, a thermoplastic injection-molding company headquartered in the UK with 2 British facilities and 1 in Hungary. 2001 to 2005 - PRISM TECHNOLOGIES & ASSEMBLIES, a minority company located in Meadville, PA, providing 3rd party and contract manufacturing services to the automotive industry. Challenged with preparing the organization for divestiture by implementing a "cut & build" strategy to fix, close, or sell underperforming facilities, improving earnings/cash flow, and increasing sales margins.
- Led strategic initiative to sell certain holdings to private equity group (see above).
- Generated $5M+ in income by reorganizing operations, shifting resources abroad.
- Increased earnings by over 15% despite sales decline, and improved cash flow from $14M+ to nearly $20M on an invested capital base of slightly over $100M.
- Earned two consecutive "Most Innovative Use of Plastics Awards" from the Society of Plastic Engineers, which led to new business.
Additional career history at Carlisle Engineered Products, Inc. since joining the company in 1993 includes: Vice President of Operations, 1999 to 2001; Business Unit General Manager, 1995 to 1999; and General Manager, 1993 to 1995
Additional Career History:
- Cadillac Rubber & Plastics, Inc. (a division of Avon Rubber, PLC) - Division Manager.
- Dayco Anchor Swan - Plant Manager: Recruited by an organization whose progress was being hindered by an extremely adversarial relationship between labor and management such that the facility was being considered for closure. Was successful in turning the operation around and negotiating a new five-year contract that resulted in the plant being competitive enough to win $20M of new business.
- Western Consolidated Technologies - Director of Engineered Materials/Fluoropolymer Products, Sales Account Executive.
- United Technologies-Hamilton Standard Control - General Foreman, Production Control Manager.
- GenCorp - Held Various Progressive Positions.
Associate in Applied Sciences
- 5.51/6.0 GPA
- Graduated "With Highest Distinction"
Bachelor of General Studies
- 3.53/4.0 GPA
- Graduated "With Distinction"
- Alpha Kappa Delta - National Sociology Honor Society
Earned both degrees working full time and attending evening & weekend classes.
Licensed Business Manager
State of Ohio
Maynard Research Council - Columbus, OH
- Fort Wayne LifeSavers Club Award - awarded for meritorious action in saving the life of a young boy
- Who's Who in the Midwest
- Who's Who in Finance and Industry